Geordie up before the beak...three week ban!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

1989Tiger

Re: Geordie up before the beak...

Post by 1989Tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:51 pm
Crofty wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 pm
1989Tiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:30 pm

I’d be fine with referees saying this if that’s what they thought. They need to be interviewed after the match first though which I very much doubt they’d agree to. It seems like anybody in rugby can be criticised but refs can’t.Why is that?
Because there's a significant portion of the rugby fraternity that clings to the belief that respect means never to criticise even if warranted...
Absolutely, no one players, coaches, or match officials should be beyond criticism as long as it is done properly.
It might not surprise anyone to know that I had a number of run ins with officials over the years, and I would say 95% of those were down to the attitude of the ref when a question was asked or a decision debated. The usual response was don’t you know who I am, or I shall report you to my society, rather than having a discussion.
I remember one incident in a club game, where a local referee, initials GG , was so poor at refereeing the scrum that multiple fights occurred, and all he could do was stand 20 meters away blowing his whistle. As it was a friendly he ended the game early and when questioned why, he got on his high horse and reported the whole thing to his society, rather than entering a reasonable discussion.
This ref despite numerous poor performances over the season, others words not mine, he was given the county cup final.
Greg Garner?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I couldn’t possibly comment 1989tiger
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Referees are criticised just about every second of the game by supporters from either side. It's ever been thus. Ditto by media pundits. There are well established post match protocols for clubs / coaches in the professional game to comment on a referees performance. So there are lots of channels in the professional game for refs to face criticism / receive feedback. They are not immune.

It's weird how it tends to be losing teams who find it necessary to criticise the performance of the referee. Maybe, just maybe, they - the coaches - should just work a bit harder at becoming more competent themselves at coaching.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

1989Tiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:54 pm Greg Garner?
He seems to be getting rewarded for his incompetence now!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

A lot should depend on the circumstances:

If Geordie put a clear, logical, and convincing complaint to the official(s) in the right setting i.e away from supporters and cameras and was as polite as he was passionate - in my opinion, that's perfectly acceptable.

If he verbally abused them in front of the world and his dog - that's naughty and he deserves all he gets!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

fentiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:17 pm
Not the same one as the ref who has appeared in premiership games, just share a name.

Traveller seems to take every possible opening to have a dig, would love to know his qualifications to do so other than Mr. Troll.
If you win a match you will not criticise the officials, at least not openly, but I guarantee over a pint afterwards they do
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Following the seasons poor results, might the BOD use this accusation against Smurf to move him on or over, it would help to save their faces?
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

LE18 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:34 pm Following the seasons poor results, might the BOD use this accusation against Smurf to move him on or over, it would help to save their faces?
No
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

fentiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm When the quiet man gets angry....

Interesting to see if it was the ref or TMO? Can't say I blame him, it's one thing when we play badly but when playing well enough to win and really poor decisions impact the result. :smt017
Remember this episode as Captain?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby ... venge.html
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

No excuses for Murphs. He was wrong, and must have known repercussions would follow. It wont have done his "Mr. Nice Guy" image any favours, and I doubt the BOD will be very impressed. It could mean a ban at the start of next season. :smt018
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 pm No excuses for Murphs. He was wrong, and must have known repercussions would follow. It wont have done his "Mr. Nice Guy" image any favours, and I doubt the BOD will be very impressed. It could mean a ban at the start of next season. :smt018
...which, if he's DoR with a new Head Coach, won't be such a problem! :smt002
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 pm No excuses for Murphs. He was wrong, and must have known repercussions would follow. It wont have done his "Mr. Nice Guy" image any favours, and I doubt the BOD will be very impressed. It could mean a ban at the start of next season. :smt018
Exactly. Headline - Tigers new season starts with Head Coach in Stand -

Fantastic leadership!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

1989Tiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:40 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:34 pm Following the seasons poor results, might the BOD use this accusation against Smurf to move him on or over, it would help to save their faces?
No
Is that your opinion or fact? :smt002
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 pm
fentiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:17 pm
Not the same one as the ref who has appeared in premiership games, just share a name.

Traveller seems to take every possible opening to have a dig, would love to know his qualifications to do so other than Mr. Troll.
If you win a match you will not criticise the officials, at least not openly, but I guarantee over a pint afterwards they do
"Mr Troll" is he? Then you must be his cousin, "Mr. Boring". :smt015 :smt015 :smt015
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So we've been took the rise out of due to an embarrassing season,now I'm getting it rubbed in about Murphy's charge,now it looks like he could be banned so there will be more mickey taking at the start of next season and it hasn't even begun!! Can it get any worse?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer