Geordie up before the beak...three week ban!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Geordie up before the beak...three week ban!

Post by ay2oh »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:48 pm
ay2oh wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:56 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:38 pm Well, all I can say is Murphs got what he asked for. He must have known he would get a ban.
Perhaps you find the total incompetence of the TMO system acceptable then ?
This has nothing to do with the TMO system......Murphy has said something out of order to an official and it has been reported. There are proper channels which he should have taken. He has accepted the charge and must accept the ban and learn from it.
How can this have nothing to do with the TMO system when that is the reason that Murphy lost his cool. I have lost count of the number of poor decisions made despite looking numerous times at the big screen. Nothing ever seems to get done about the dire quality of officials. If thousands of people in the ground can see forward passes, double movements and foot in touch why can’t highly paid officials ?
A2O
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

There was a time when Tigers were the most hard nosed, pragmatic club / team in the league. All that mattered was finding a way to be in the game in the last ten minutes and then managing those final ten minutes more effectively than the opposition. Note 'the hand of Back'.

Now we regularly concede 20+ points in the first 30 minutes of games, have marquee players leave the club before the season ends, leak points throughout games, run the ball from our own 5 metre line in the first five minutes of the second half against an Ulster team in the Heineken Cup when leading by three points- and concede points as a consequence, and have a Head Coach go on record as saying he is happy with his third rate coaching team.

Now we justify the temper tantrum of our Head Coach in a meaningless match.

The big picture for the Head Coach (irrespective of the quality of refereeing) should have been to ensure that we have the best possible start to the forthcoming season. The fact that he couldn't control himself is yet further proof that he is out of his depth. The fact that he obviously doesn't think it is particularly important whether or not he is there to coach the team at the start of a new season, says it all.

Our Head Coach is not paid to launch a self-indulgent one man campaign against poor standards of refereeing. He lost, and was always going to lose.

I wonder what Murphy will say to Callum Green next season when he (Green) abuses the referee in the final minute of the game (when we are leading by one point) gets sent off and gives away a kickable penalty on our 22m.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Traveller wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:10 pm There was a time when Tigers were the most hard nosed, pragmatic club / team in the league. All that mattered was finding a way to be in the game in the last ten minutes and then managing those final ten minutes more effectively than the opposition. Note 'the hand of Back'.

Now we regularly concede 20+ points in the first 30 minutes of games, have marquee players leave the club before the season ends, leak points throughout games, run the ball from our own 5 metre line in the first five minutes of the second half against an Ulster team in the Heineken Cup when leading by three points- and concede points as a consequence, and have a Head Coach go on record as saying he is happy with his third rate coaching team.

The big picture for the Head Coach (irrespective of the quality of refereeing) should have been to ensure that we have the best possible start to the forthcoming season. The fact that he couldn't control himself is yet further proof that he is out of his depth. The fact that he obviously doesn't think it is particularly important whether or not he is there to coach the team at the start of a new season, says it all.

Our Head Coach is not paid to launch a self-indulgent one man campaign against poor standards of refereeing. He lost, and was always going to lose.

I wonder what Murphy will say to Callum Green next season when he (Green) abuses the referee in the final minute of the game (when we are leading by one point) gets sent off and gives away a kickable penalty on our 22m.
The points swing if CMK and the TMO had got the decisions right was 17 or 19 dependent on the conversion of our try that was wrongly chalked off. Are you honestly of the opinion that any team in the top half of the league (our minimum aspiration, surely) can afford a 17 point handicap when playing another top half team and that it's purely down to utterly sub standard coaching that we could only cover 16 points of it? :smt017
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m excited to see how well Nick Wood develops as an official and he’s cut down on the pudding too!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Crofty wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:51 pm
Traveller wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:10 pm There was a time when Tigers were the most hard nosed, pragmatic club / team in the league. All that mattered was finding a way to be in the game in the last ten minutes and then managing those final ten minutes more effectively than the opposition. Note 'the hand of Back'.

The points swing if CMK and the TMO had got the decisions right was 17 or 19 dependent on the conversion of our try that was wrongly chalked off. Are you honestly of the opinion that any team in the top half of the league (our minimum aspiration, surely) can afford a 17 point handicap when playing another top half team and that it's purely down to utterly sub standard coaching that we could only cover 16 points of it? :smt017
Let's assume / agree the refereeing was awful. Where has Murphy's temper tantrum got us? Our Head Coach, with lots of new players to blend into a team, may be unable to coach/ attend matches in the first three weeks of a season that needs to start well. It is pointless, and self-indulgent to do what he did. As evidenced by the outcome.

Last season we fired the coach after the first game and got a player sent off in the second or third. I thought it couldn't get worse. This season we are a man down before the season even starts. It is about being pragmatic and single minded, and resisting the temptation to have a 'hissy fit'. We all just want Tigers to win.

To answer your question directly (I note you didn't respond to my Callum Green question). I do think the reason we conceded more points than any other team in the premiership was down to very poor coaching rather than the quality of refereeing. The 40+s by Worcester & Bristol come jarringly into memory, and the defensive comedy show against Bristol at home.

I think the fact that the Head Coach was happy to be quoted in the Mercury saying that next season there won't be any more 'running into brick walls, next season' (he actually said it), is indicative of the fact that the coaching has been very poor. The fact we felt the need to 'bring in' Mike Ford for the final few games, is indicative of the fact that the coaching wasn't good enough. If it had been, they wouldn't have needed him. Which other clubs rushed 'consultant coaches' into their ranks for the final games of the season? Any?

So, to avoid doubt. In my opinion the coaching is really poor. I think the actions of the club (outlined above) prove that to be the case. Nonetheless, I think we have to stick with GM, because to fire yet another coach after one season would mean we lose what little credibility we have left with other talented coaches. He should be supported by building a better team around him. Then we cross our fingers and pray.

None of which means that I think the quality of refereeing is adequate. It isn't.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Of course, all questions of whether Murphy has hamstrung the team for the start of next season assume that he will be holding the same post at that time.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

There are smarter ways to vent anger and frustration than personally and directly berating the officials.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Ex players don't necessarily make great refs, Dickson is being fast tracked but is one of the poorest refs in the Prem. The two best refs were neither ex pro's (Barnes/Owens), empathy for the game is vital but being an ex pro is not necessarily an automatic qualification as once you dissect something as simple as a breakdown, it is a totally different level of understanding than that of playing.

Empathy for every aspect of the game and people management skills are what makes a great ref, ex players invariably only really know what their individual playing roles are. CM-K made the mistake of ignoring empathy in the Bath game and relied on a system (TMO) to replace common sense. An example was Bath No4 should've been yellow carded for pulling down a maul going over the try line, then CM-K should've gone under the posts for a PT. No-one would've complained, it was expected, but the cynical play went unpunished. Weak reffing in this incident.

As for Murphy, he needs to stop making excuses and spurting rhetoric all the time, get on with the job. EVERYONE at Welford Road deserves respect, players, fans and coaches and there is no place for abusive behaviour whatever the excuse.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RichieB wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:03 am There are smarter ways to vent anger and frustration than personally and directly berating the officials.
I suspect that Murphy regrets it. In a season where a final day win over Bath was deserved and may well have released a little pressure on the club it's understandable he was vexed by the officials. A season's worth of frustration can be excused this once but he's got to be smarter in whichever role he holds next season.

Correct decision to hit him with a ban and a fine. The RFU have got to protect refs, what happens in the professional game filters down and we can't have grass roots players or coaches seeing professionals getting away with verbally abusing match officials. One of the reasons there's not enough grass roots refs is because of verbal abuse that is creeping into the game. Personally I'd like the refs and RFU to be tougher on players that chirp away as well.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Sam, I totally agree with your comments.

Murphy was stupid, should have known better and been more disciplined. He has done the club no favours at all, and frustration is no excuse. Players (including he himself) and officials have all shown themselves to be less than competent on occasion, and swearing and berating them is not a successful approach to improving their judgement.

Murphy is supposed to demonstrate leadership qualities, both on and off the pitch. He didn’t on this occasion and he has to bear the consequences.

I am looking forward to reading his letter of apology.
Valhalla I am coming!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

loretta wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:46 am Of course, all questions of whether Murphy has hamstrung the team for the start of next season assume that he will be holding the same post at that time.
Good point. Let's hope he isn't and it doesn't!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Few would condone abusive behaviour but it can't be denied that there is a lot of frustration with the TMO system up and down the country as it is occasionally getting things badly wrong.
It's often black and white where sometimes common sense is grey.
At least when it was just the referee the decision was made, there were a few what ifs but situations were done and dusted and we moved on quickly.
The TMO just goes over and over things and it does fester.
TimwW

Re: Geordie up before the beak...

Post by TimwW »

strawclearer wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:39 pm Murphy accepted both charges and the following sanction was imposed:

– Prohibited from coaching duties for three weeks
– Games to be served are the first three meaningful games of the 2019/20 season
– Pay a fine of £1,500 to be applied to a charity selected by the RFU Elite Referees Department
– Write a personal letter of apology to Sean Davey, copied to the other match officials appointed to the game
– Write open letter to Leicester players and officials apologising for his actions and making it clear that match official abuse is entirely inconsistent with the values of the game.
The season starts with the Premier Rugby Cup on 21 September and the Gallagher Premiership does not start until 20 October. I trust the Premiership are not going to consider the Cup as meaningless games.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Geordie was frustrated but you can't rant at the officials when you are a club official. There are proper channels.

The ban is pretty insignificant in terms of impact on the games. Hopefully the yet to be established coaching structure will have enough capacity to implement the strategy and make changes on the fly and technology will allow Geordie to contact his team of coaches from wherever he watches the games on TV if he needs to relay anything.

Will we all be wearing Geordie masks as we did when Cockers was banned?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

mol2 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:25 pm Geordie was frustrated but you can't rant at the officials when you are a club official. There are proper channels.

The ban is pretty insignificant in terms of impact on the games. Hopefully the yet to be established coaching structure will have enough capacity to implement the strategy and make changes on the fly and technology will allow Geordie to contact his team of coaches from wherever he watches the games on TV if he needs to relay anything.

Will we all be wearing Geordie masks as we did when Cockers was banned?
😂😂 even I remember that one!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni