Geordie up before the beak...three week ban!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Geordie up before the beak...

Post by Mark62 »

DingDong wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:34 pm All match official abuse should be stamped on with a heavy boot, especially those that use those cheap shots as an excuse for their own shortcomings. Core values anyone? or just when it suits you?
Disagree, match officials are like players paid to perform, and there are too many that just don’t to an acceptable level a good amount of the time, but are never sanctioned because of it.
They literally just turn up week on week making the same errors, and I’m afraid Maxwell Keyes is one of the worst culprits, and has been since I saw him referring in midlands league matches a few years ago, as did others on this forum.
There are hundreds of laws and of course small mistakes will be made, but when a major error is made which costs a side a game, nothing seems to be done other than maybe a phone call from Spredders.

As Dean Ryan put it the RFU do hundreds of things and none of them well.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I hope you aren't preparing the defence Mark, or we will be scouring the world for a new coach!
Say it like it is! :smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I agree with Mark. Perhaps its an initiative by the top brass to let the game flow for "entertainment" but even as a whole the standard across the board has been very poor. I mean even to look at JPD,at one stage I rated him as arguably the AP/GP best but he's been looking poor as of late,well almost two seasons imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

The ref was awful. One of, if not the worst performance from a ref I’ve ever seen since I’ve been watching rugby.

If only referees could be replaced at half time when they are having a bad game, like players can.

I would say the same, even if we had won the game.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

You been on the CBD Scott, openly admitting to ever rating JPD! :smt005
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

:smt005 if only you could get a buzz off CBD!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

I'm wondering if some of you are missing the point. Constructive criticism is fair, as is putting in a formal complaint, but verbally abusing an official is not. Who remembers when the Youngs boys were abused by disgruntled supporters after the game in the bar, is that now acceptable?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I remember Cocker's got a very long ban for abusing officials at our last premiership final against Saints in 2013
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

DingDong wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:16 pm I'm wondering if some of you are missing the point. Constructive criticism is fair, as is putting in a formal complaint, but verbally abusing an official is not. Who remembers when the Youngs boys were abused by disgruntled supporters after the game in the bar, is that now acceptable?
I think the term verbal abuse is over used. If Murphy has approached the ref and given him a few home truths and told him he thinks he was poor, then that’s not verbal abuse in my opinion.

It’s a bit like the term “bully” which is overused.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

The criticism of match officials is low stuff. Tigers are classier than that.

More so coming from a Head Coach who is not very good at what he is paid to do (check results this season). Have some humility and just focus on your own performance and development as a coach.

Or let Murphy say what he wants to say, but give Refs a public right of reply. The Ref might respond by saying, "Tigers are really poorly coached. I can't believe how bad they have been all season. Murphy seems out of his depth."
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Traveller wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:28 pm The criticism of match officials is low stuff. Tigers are classier than that.

More so coming from a Head Coach who is not very good at what he is paid to do (check results this season). Have some humility and just focus on your own performance and development as a coach.

Or let Murphy say what he wants to say, but give Refs a public right of reply. The Ref might respond by saying, "Tigers are really poorly coached. I can't believe how bad they have been all season. Murphy seems out of his depth."
I’d be fine with referees saying this if that’s what they thought. They need to be interviewed after the match first though which I very much doubt they’d agree to. It seems like anybody in rugby can be criticised but refs can’t. Why is that?
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Respect for the referee in rugby is paramount and it is what separates our game from others.
Any kind of abuse towards a referee be it verbal or physical should be stamped on severely even if the ref has had a poor game, players and referees will always have poor games and good games but abuse of referees is unacceptable.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

1989Tiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:30 pm
Traveller wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:28 pm The criticism of match officials is low stuff. Tigers are classier than that.

I’d be fine with referees saying this if that’s what they thought. They need to be interviewed after the match first though which I very much doubt they’d agree to. It seems like anybody in rugby can be criticised but refs can’t.Why is that?
Because there's a significant portion of the rugby fraternity that clings to the belief that respect means never to criticise even if warranted...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:35 pm Respect for the referee in rugby is paramount and it is what separates our game from others.
Any kind of abuse towards a referee be it verbal or physical should be stamped on severely even if the ref has had a poor game, players and referees will always have poor games and good games but abuse of referees is unacceptable.
Yet “abuse” of players and coaches is?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Crofty wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 pm
1989Tiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:30 pm

I’d be fine with referees saying this if that’s what they thought. They need to be interviewed after the match first though which I very much doubt they’d agree to. It seems like anybody in rugby can be criticised but refs can’t.Why is that?
Because there's a significant portion of the rugby fraternity that clings to the belief that respect means never to criticise even if warranted...
Absolutely, no one players, coaches, or match officials should be beyond criticism as long as it is done properly.
It might not surprise anyone to know that I had a number of run ins with officials over the years, and I would say 95% of those were down to the attitude of the ref when a question was asked or a decision debated. The usual response was don’t you know who I am, or I shall report you to my society, rather than having a discussion.
I remember one incident in a club game, where a local referee, initials GG , was so poor at refereeing the scrum that multiple fights occurred, and all he could do was stand 20 meters away blowing his whistle. As it was a friendly he ended the game early and when questioned why, he got on his high horse and reported the whole thing to his society, rather than entering a reasonable discussion.
This ref despite numerous poor performances over the season, others words not mine, he was given the county cup final.