GROUNDS

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: GROUNDS

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Yes I know that I am going off theme but the quality of the Tigers pitch on Saturday was a credit to the grounds staff, the smell of fresh grass even at the end of the game was something you would not get at Saracens, Newcastle etc. Thank you Ed the Moe and his team. :smt027
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 pm Yes I know that I am going off theme but the quality of the Tigers pitch on Saturday was a credit to the grounds staff, the smell of fresh grass even at the end of the game was something you would not get at Saracens, Newcastle etc. Thank you Ed the Moe and his team. :smt027
And yet there are some on here who think it’s a synthetic pitch, yes I know it’s hybrid :smt023
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Favourite for me is Stade de Mayol Toulon, great setting and some of the most vociferous fans (and nearby residents!!).

Worst, well you can toss up between Sarries Watford and Allianz Park grounds, both of which lacked any soul whatsoever.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

DingDong wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:49 pm Favourite for me is Stade de Mayol Toulon, great setting and some of the most vociferous fans (and nearby residents!!).

Worst, well you can toss up between Sarries Watford and Allianz Park grounds, both of which lacked any soul whatsoever.
Last time I was at vicarage road was around 12 years ago, and a more soulless dump you couldn’t wish to find
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

AusTiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:49 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:28 pm
BFG wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:53 am Taking into consideration everything and balancing it all out from atmosphere to travel etc my favourite Premiership ground is Worcester and least favourite is Sale.
It always seems to be sunny whenever I go to Sixways which I think has influenced it.
The Principailty is some stadium though, been to events there from rugby to speedway and it is a great atmosphere.
I've been told that Sarries may be using Spurs new stadium in the future and I'll definitely visit that for a fixture.
Over the years Wasps have kept changing grounds, thus depriving themselves of avid fans. Where will they go next, I wonder?
Probably administration.
They certainly appear to have shot themselves in the foot with the move to Coventry. Methinks they should never left the London area. They got bigger crowds in High Wycombe!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Clubs that share the round ball grounds do tend to lack atmosphere. The Wycombe Wanderers ground that Wasps used was the exception to the rule, as it was full, and many of their supporters made the short journey from London. The only problem there were the bar facilities which were in a marquee. Plenty of good banter though.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Stade Marcel Michelin is a must for the atmosphere and fans in the ground, and the friendliness of the people of Clermont Ferrand.

WR is becoming known for its lack of facilities, poor service, dire rugby and a quiet crowd.
Valhalla I am coming!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Been to Sarries a lot and don’t mind it as the fans are genuine unlike when they were at Watford! Newcastle I like too: fans are great, easy to get to off A1 and good choice of either standing or seating( do both).
Bath very good location and have had many soakings there and fans ok but all around the town like to rub your noses in about those heavy defeats!
Saints is a good ground but has become expensive to stand and fans can turn on you in an aggressive way.
Gloucester has always been good for us as long as you can take the banter!
Worcester is a good ground for food, fans and views.
My favourite ground in the Prem is The Stoop. Nearly always go: fans are brilliant, pubs and restaurants in Twickers and Richmond are great but the food at The Stoop is very good too.

Not yet been to Ashton Gate so cannot comment.
Always go to Irish ( avoid where the drummers are).Reading’s ground is too big for their fan base but they are moving after next season.
Not been to Chiefs’ ground as the fixture has never quite fallen right!

Go to The Ricoh almost every time we play but this is the only ground I don’t like-. Preferred High Wycombe and nearly always went there: food awful but fans were great.
The tannoy bloke at The Ricoh is a pain and apart from a couple of games, one early on when they first went there and the semi when we lost in the last minute, there are too many empty seats or seats many of the seats that are occupied are freebies so the fans don’t know much about rugby! Those that are genuine Wasps’ fans are pretty good.

So Bath and Quins are the tops for me with Newcastle and Worcester very good.

Welford Road obviously the best as it is my beloved Tigers’ ground.
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

The Rec, yes, happy memories with friends of the blue & black persuasion. Very close 2nd is the Millennium/Principally: a stadium in the heart of a rugby mad capital city with an atmosphere (inside & outside the ground) you couldn't buy with gold. Everything Twicks ought to be & isn't.

Worst: Ricoh, by a country mile. Epsilon minus sub-moron announcer & the 'musicians' who deafened me on my last (ever) visit. What gives them the right to think they can subject rugby supporters to that noisy ****?

Adams Pk I loved, but that's because it was 20min on the train from where I lived. Our wives would drop me & my Wasp friends at Haddenham Station, we'd go to the ale house at the end of station approach before & after the game. They'd collect us from the station in the evening in a very different condition from how they'd left us.

We'd had a terrifically fun day & no one remembered the result of the game.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

That pub will be the "Hour Glass". It gets extremely busy on match days, and pretty empty the rest.
I loved the Wasps games at Adams park, especially we visited. Good atmosphere.
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

I like Perth Oval (now HBF Park), I watched Western Force's last home game of the season there against Queensland Reds in 2011. The bar service must have been good because I was trousered by the time we left and we were allowed to go onto the pitch at the end of the ground. I had a great time chatting to some of the local fans, a great crowd.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

:smt039 I used to love going to Sudbury when Wasps played there. The atmosphere was fantastic, both before and after the game. I also got a free pint from Pat, the steward, every time I went. Great Irish character he was, bless him.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Tigers have the best attendance in the premiership. Also second best in Europe for league games on average for the 18/19 season.

Prem: 20,805

Europe: 19,629
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:29 am Tigers have the best attendance in the premiership. Also second best in Europe for league games on average for the 18/19 season.

Who was top in Europe,Bordeaux again?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:04 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:29 am Tigers have the best attendance in the premiership. Also second best in Europe for league games on average for the 18/19 season.

Who was top in Europe,Bordeaux again?
Yeah with just over 21k or something like that.