GROUNDS

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

GROUNDS

Post by Dangerous4 »

Been meaning to do this for a while now, but with the season over, here it is.

Which is your favourite and least favourite club ground ( other than Welford Road of course with regards to the former?

Mine below.

FAVOURITE - BATH. ---------------------- This took some thinking about. More for the post match banter than the actual ground.

LEAST FAVOURITE - GLOUCESTER.-------------------This took no thinking about whatsoever. Sorry, I can't give the reason!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: GROUNDS

Post by JP14 »

Not been to many in my time but the Stade du Michelin is a place I’d kill to go to

Worst stadium: Ricoh by a long shot.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not been to many but best is Welford Road,nothing stacks up. Worse is the Ricoh!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Bucket list ground is Forsyth Barn when the Zoo is full, no other reason than it looks great.

Love proper rugby grounds with crowds close to the pitch, hate the Ricoh and Allianz park where crowd is away from the action
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Bucket list is Marcel Michelin,my mate said it's incredible!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I’m quite fond of Sandy Park, a bit of old mixed in with the new. Kingsholm is horrible. Main stand with pillars, so the view can be pants......why ? Went there once and this lout got very close to being decked, given he was crowing that they’d beaten us and in an aggressive manner. My daughter was genuinely scared. I wish I had lamped him one.

Oh and the Ricoh....soulless dump...along with the Madjeski.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Best ground to visit the Rec in Bath, wonderful setting to watch rugby in a fantastic city, if they get planning permission to build their new stadium it will probably be one of the best places to watch rugby in the world.

Worst ground to visit is Gloucesters ground, pillars in the stand restricting views and some of their fans very aggressive, only ground we have visited where we have been threatened.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:17 am Best ground to visit the Rec in Bath, wonderful setting to watch rugby in a fantastic city, if they get planning permission to build their new stadium it will probably be one of the best places to watch rugby in the world.

Worst ground to visit is Gloucesters ground, pillars in the stand restricting views and some of their fans very aggressive, only ground we have visited where we have been threatened.
Would agree with this and add Wuss as a fave, lovely food, close to the action especially if you stand by the bars as I do, nice fans. Sandy Park a few years ago was similar, love the Arms Park for the banter and close to the action in the North Stand, but my real fave is Melrose - a great club, wonderful ground and views.
Pet hates apart from Glaws - Rodney Parade (grim), Bridgend (really grim), Liberty (Ospreys) - bleak and more expletives than you've ever heard (it is in Swansea, mind. where F*** is punctuation).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Worst ground for me is Edgeley Park - half full and not easy to get to along with the Ricoh for the same reason - not much between them. Best ground is Bath followed closely by Glaws - never had an issue at Glaws even though we often go in the shed - good fun and banter.

International grounds - best is the Aviva for me just beating Principality and worst is Twickenham
Hehehehehehehehe
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

trendylfj wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:10 am Worst ground for me is Edgeley Park - half full and not easy to get to along with the Ricoh for the same reason - not much between them. Best ground is Bath followed closely by Glaws - never had an issue at Glaws even though we often go in the shed - good fun and banter.

International grounds - best is the Aviva for me just beating Principality and worst is Twickenham
The Ricoh not easy to get to? Really?

Just minutes off the M6 and a train station around the corner.

I agree about it being half or even three quarters empty though.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Taking into consideration everything and balancing it all out from atmosphere to travel etc my favourite Premiership ground is Worcester and least favourite is Sale.
It always seems to be sunny whenever I go to Sixways which I think has influenced it.
The Principailty is some stadium though, been to events there from rugby to speedway and it is a great atmosphere.
I've been told that Sarries may be using Spurs new stadium in the future and I'll definitely visit that for a fixture.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Was living in Oxfordshire at the time and went to see Tigers play London Welsh at the Kassam stadium. Not so much the stadium but there was literally no one there, probably more Tigers fans than ‘home’ fans.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

BFG wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:53 am Taking into consideration everything and balancing it all out from atmosphere to travel etc my favourite Premiership ground is Worcester and least favourite is Sale.
It always seems to be sunny whenever I go to Sixways which I think has influenced it.
The Principailty is some stadium though, been to events there from rugby to speedway and it is a great atmosphere.
I've been told that Sarries may be using Spurs new stadium in the future and I'll definitely visit that for a fixture.
It generates some noise with all those air horns for the speedway!
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

JP14 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:49 pm Not been to many in my time but the Stade du Michelin is a place I’d kill to go to

Worst stadium: Ricoh by a long shot.
Agree on both counts. Ricoh might have a station next to it but the service is infrequent and can't cope with the volume.

Stade Marcel-Michelin -great stadium, fabulous fans in a really rugby-friendly city. Last time we played there I took a lunch of the local delicacy truffade in a cellar restaurant just down from the cathedral. You enter and pass an open plan long kitchen. I had bought a cd of ‘Smoke on the water’ from the local Fnac and as I walked in I said to the owner/chef sharpening his knives behind the counter that this was the anthem they should play when we beat them. Fabulous mocking reception from the crowded restaurant; I was on my own but was invited by a French/Dutch family group to join them.
Memorable weekend of European Cup rugby even though we lost. Alas no Clermont for us next season!
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

The Avenue - old London Irish and Heywood Road - old Sale ground were proper old school rugby grounds, which I really liked but alas are no longer with us. The Stoop is good and always worth a visit.

Wasn't impressed with Allianz Park - the fact we got completely stuffed probably didn't help - and it's a swine to get to.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup