New Kit

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: New Kit

Post by johnthegriff »

Nothing to do with Tigers marketing, all to do with Fanatics who operate the shop and hold the kit supplier contracts. Hopefully for not much longer.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:00 am Sorry Dr Flashman, no chance of Goldstar again they ceased to exist as sponsors as their product was poor, they reivented themselves as Lucky Gold otherwise known as LG and brought out a pretty good product under the new brand. Of course the shirt you yearn for was from Cotton Traders who unfortunately pulled out of the Rugby Club market, a shame because I was quite happy with their merchandise. I will not be buying any new kit until we have a supplier that can deliver decent quality at reasonable prices before the season starts so I get maximum usage from the garment.
I was thinking more the top than sponser. It was my first ever top and is now in a sealed container with my other retired tigers tops..It is slightly moth eaten and discoloured but after all these years still looks great. I still wear my black euro top. I quite like that and feel we should have that quality and style again. I usaully buy one top a season so the delay seems odd. Usually its around the 7's it is shown.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

It may be down to priorities of supplier and production runs linking to the football season start dates etc. I have no experience of production operations so may be talking nonsense but I am minded of a conversation I had last year sitting next to a senior person from one of the big kit suppliers at a dinner. We talked about the kit topic and supply and demand etc and he said rugby is just not worth it for them...they make NO money from it (of course he would say that). He said rugby fans in general buy new kit in such small numbers that it does not cover production costs, where as softball supporters buy merchandise by the ton, and of all types. He said they stay in the Rugby kit market just to keep their visibility up but as a money maker it is not worth it. One assumes they have done some form of ROI assessment to make it worthwhile overall. Anyway, a long way of saying maybe they are prioritiming softball kit production.
As Good As It Gets
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I suspect the release date will be very close to when it is first worn on the pitch - Premiership 7s?

When we had Canterbury they were organised enough to do it “football style”, releasing the kit in time to be worn for the final match (or two) of the previous season (as we did when we swapped from Cotton Traders to Canterbury for last last regular home fixture and play offs in 2012 and for the final in 2013). Their final kit was released at the August WR Open Day, so by that logic even for a normal season, this year’s isn’t that late!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I had a working life in the clothing trade, covering import, sales and manufacturing and Scuttle is not talking nonsense when he refers to the differences in quantities purchased by the fans. Many years ago I had a discussion with the then Chief Executive David Clayton, I suggester to him that Tigers could have the kit manufactured and supplied in the U.K possibly in Leicestershire, they would get the garments cheaper and sell for less but actually make more money. He then explained to me just how much free kit was supplied to Tigers and how much the kit supplier paid for the rights to supply Tigers kit which altered the costs and potential selling prices considerably.
However our quantities are still a reasonable production run, and any manufacturer will accept delivery dates and plan accordingly. It is simple to place a contract, tell the supplier when delivery is required and giving a reasonable margin for unforseen circumstances insert penalty clauses and cancellation dates. All of the High St stores I dealt with did this as did most companies to whom corporate clothing was supplied for much smaller quantities than Tigers place.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

With a smaller market it'd surely make sense to alternate the introduction of new kits once every couple of years.
A home kit lasting for two seasons which alternates with a new away kit the following year.
This way they aren't springing two brand new kits on supporters at once.
You one off produce in bulk annually and look to be nearly sold out in around 20 months post Christmas and introduce the new kit around play off time.
It also opens up the possibility of sponsors for home and away kits thus increasing the sponsorship opportunities at a reduced cost.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

BFG wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:33 pm With a smaller market it'd surely make sense to alternate the introduction of new kits once every couple of years.
Hmm, now where have I seen this before? With Cotton Traders many moons ago?

I think that they are killing the goose that lays the "golden" egg. With one new shirt per season, many people, myself included usually bought every one, unless it was a real stinker (subjective I know). When they made it two, then three per season, I think that people became choosy, if only because of wardrobe space (and cost). Now, if there isn't a design that I like, I don't buy any. For me, this happens more seasons than not.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:16 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:33 pm With a smaller market it'd surely make sense to alternate the introduction of new kits once every couple of years.
Hmm, now where have I seen this before? With Cotton Traders many moons ago?

I think that they are killing the goose that lays the "golden" egg. With one new shirt per season, many people, myself included usually bought every one, unless it was a real stinker (subjective I know). When they made it two, then three per season, I think that people became choosy, if only because of wardrobe space (and cost). Now, if there isn't a design that I like, I don't buy any. For me, this happens more seasons than not.
Yes I agree.
You pretty much nailed my old and more recent buying habits.
In not introducing the new kit around May time they are also missing out on months of sales for new shirts.
Folk are waiting to open their wallets with no new product to buy.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree with BFG on the whole, it sounds good one kit to last two years, unfortunately with so many sponsors on the garment it would not always be easy to contract them all for the same two years. Even if we did a home kit every year with say the away kit which gets less usage every two years, it should be ok but please make them available for sale before the season starts and preferably before the fans go off on Summer holiday. The situation a couple of years ago when people had placed orders for Classic Shirts to be delivered in September which actually arrived too late for Christmas, a phone call to say do you still want it with a surprising number saying yes, collecting from the shop and then discovering a few days later the item had been reduced to clear the surplus.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:31 pm I agree with BFG on the whole, it sounds good one kit to last two years, unfortunately with so many sponsors on the garment it would not always be easy to contract them all for the same two years. Even if we did a home kit every year with say the away kit which gets less usage every two years, it should be ok but please make them available for sale before the season starts and preferably before the fans go off on Summer holiday. The situation a couple of years ago when people had placed orders for Classic Shirts to be delivered in September which actually arrived too late for Christmas, a phone call to say do you still want it with a surprising number saying yes, collecting from the shop and then discovering a few days later the item had been reduced to clear the surplus.
New Tigers top and speedo's on the beach John?
I always buy a few new items for a holiday but I hate shopping, new shirts being available at this time would be very good all round.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

New Tigers top for the beach is good not so sure about speedo's. actually for aesthetic reasons my family banned me from wearing them, after looking down and being unable to see if I had any on I agreed with them!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

With the announcement of H&B continuing as main sponsor, I wonder if we won’t have long to wait. :smt001
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Shorter season for 2019/20.
World cup and new kit to boot. The life span of this seasons kit is therefore short.
As already stated, surly sponsorships should have been sorted earlier and therefore new seasons kit rolled out.

As for the fashion industry in general, poor excuse to say deadlines and costing influencing roll out, when stores have Autumn and Winter lines in already . The kids aint back to school yet. And why am I seeing christmas jumpers in store?
Please explain!! :smt041
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

wellstiger wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:49 pm Shorter season for 2019/20.
World cup and new kit to boot. The life span of this seasons kit is therefore short.
As already stated, surly sponsorships should have been sorted earlier and therefore new seasons kit rolled out.

As for the fashion industry in general, poor excuse to say deadlines and costing influencing roll out, when stores have Autumn and Winter lines in already . The kids aint back to school yet. And why am I seeing christmas jumpers in store?
Please explain!! :smt041
As ABBA said it’s “Money, money, money, it’s a rich man’s world”.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by voice of the crumbie »

JP14 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:51 pm
As ABBA said it’s “Money, money, money, it’s a rich man’s world”.
Ahh such cynicism in one so young :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!