New Kit

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: New Kit

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:24 am Are there lots of unscrupulous companies queuing up to make knock off Tigers gear? I doubt it.
Yeah, but we’re talking about a decision made over 15 years ago.

No one could have predicted then how inept the governance of the game would be or the lack of growth it would have in the global market.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Yeah fair enough, not trying to criticise. Like I say, it makes no difference at all to my Tigers purchases.

Even that old crest was not the original one, and although I preferred it to the newer ones, I'm hardly upset about the change.
Red White and Green

Post by Red White and Green »

New Kit - Shirt - Awful, Shorts and Socks Ok. Away kit - Naff
New Logo - Pants. Bring back the Original Crest.
Modern Rugby is Rubbish.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Red White and Green wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:33 pm New Kit - Shirt - Awful, Shorts and Socks Ok. Away kit - Naff
Modern Rugby is Rubbish.
Sarcasm, satire or megacrustiness? :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Red White and Green wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:33 pm New Kit - Shirt - Awful, Shorts and Socks Ok. Away kit - Naff
Modern Rugby is Rubbish.

An "old style shirt design from 70s/ 80s please, white shorts and black socks with red white and green tops.That is the proper tigers look" for a Ford Granada owner!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:08 pm
sk 88 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:00 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:21 am

To anyone who is not aware, the "silly green and red thing" was created because the OLD crest could not be trademarked (or whatever) so anyone could copy it and create fake merchandise, pretty much guaranteed to be of poor quality and deprive the club of revenue. The new one has been 'trademarked'.
This hoary old chestnut. Unfortunately the Intellectual Property Office search is down now so I can't link but the old club crest IS copyrighted property of the club, that is simply not true.
Just going on my memory of discussions many moons ago, summed up by this post by Bill W in 2011:

"This has been discussed before.

The consensus appeared to be that the "old" coat of arms logo could not be used without the "new" tiger one because the former could not be protected by copyright or whatever."

Happy to be proved wrong.
https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcas ... 0001462656

As John says the Tiger Head was launched to be unique and distinctive, not because of a copy right issue. I know people have said it for years, which is why I know it is wrong because I've looked it up before.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

I have to say I like both the new home and away shirts and I hope the designs transfer well onto a "classic" Jersey.

Not a fan of the new "T" mostly because it looks like a pair of tent pegs to me and anything that close to circus related after the last few years feels like a risk...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Crofty wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:36 pm I have to say I like both the new home and away shirts and I hope the designs transfer well onto a "classic" Jersey.

Not a fan of the new "T" mostly because it looks like a pair of tent pegs to me and anything that close to circus related after the last few years feels like a risk...
Please do not forget that ASDA use the "George" label and Tesco use "FF" which has often been expanded into words!! As long as the T is not on the Tigers shirts and just on the inside label of leisure wear I would accept it as we try to move forward with Tigers for once in control of our shop and hospitality I believe.
:smt027
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:58 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:08 pm
sk 88 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:00 pm

This hoary old chestnut. Unfortunately the Intellectual Property Office search is down now so I can't link but the old club crest IS copyrighted property of the club, that is simply not true.
Just going on my memory of discussions many moons ago, summed up by this post by Bill W in 2011:

"This has been discussed before.

The consensus appeared to be that the "old" coat of arms logo could not be used without the "new" tiger one because the former could not be protected by copyright or whatever."

Happy to be proved wrong.
https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcas ... 0001462656

As John says the Tiger Head was launched to be unique and distinctive, not because of a copy right issue. I know people have said it for years, which is why I know it is wrong because I've looked it up before.
Ah, it would help if we were talking about the same thing. I was/am referring to the tiger head before the green/purple one (the one that I have on two old shirts where Vauxhall and Bradstone were the main shirt sponsors) not the coat of arms. The shape and patterning of the head is the same, but there was no shield.

I remember people moaning about why we had gone from a fairly stylish gold or silver head to the rather garish green and purple one. 'Copyright' was mentioned as the reason.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Ah okay.

I mean that's also not correct as that is also copyrighted at the IPO, funny that it seems to be the default excuse that's gained traction even though it doesn't really make sense and is easily disprovable! I guess because it neatly moves it into "one of those things which can't be helped", so shuts down the debate.

I seem to recall it was something to do with consistency, and controlling the background it was on by using the shield. Also just freshening things up.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:01 pm Ah okay.

I mean that's also not correct as that is also copyrighted at the IPO, funny that it seems to be the default excuse that's gained traction even though it doesn't really make sense and is easily disprovable! I guess because it neatly moves it into "one of those things which can't be helped", so shuts down the debate.

I seem to recall it was something to do with consistency, and controlling the background it was on by using the shield. Also just freshening things up.
I stand corrected. Ah well, I shall file my old memories under "that's another fine mess you've gotten me into Stanley" :smt003
nasher

Post by nasher »

I do not like the new kit but I am old fashioned and remember the old 70s hoops, but the new logo looks like two carpet tacks and is as related to
Leicester Tigers as are the aliens on the moon.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

nasher wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:28 pm I do not like the new kit but I am old fashioned and remember the old 70s hoops, but the new logo looks like two carpet tacks and is as related to
Leicester Tigers as are the aliens on the moon.
That’s funny I’m sure I’ve seen the colours red green and white on the new logo along with a T. Aren’t they all heavily related to the Leicester Tigers.
A lot of us remember the hoops from the 70s, 80s and 90s, but have managed to move on
GwrxTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by GwrxTiger »

New kits are like marmite, you'll always have some who love it and some who hate it, but given the importance of this revenue stream to the club at the moment, and bringing it back in house, I am surprised that a more 'traditional' choice wasn't made. Surely playing safe and finding something with the broadest possible appeal would make sense? Every time there's been an old school option in a special or non playing shirt, e.g. the Marcos Ayerza testimonial shirt, it seems they cant sell them quick enough. Maybe they could go with a retro shirt alongside the new one, like the selection in the City fanstore, that might give everyone an option they can get excited about. I'd be fascinated to see annual sales numbers for shirts in the years since cotton traders went, cos none of them really seem to have had a rapturous reception.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GwrxTiger wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:41 pm New kits are like marmite, you'll always have some who love it and some who hate it, but given the importance of this revenue stream to the club at the moment, and bringing it back in house, I am surprised that a more 'traditional' choice wasn't made. Surely playing safe and finding something with the broadest possible appeal would make sense? Every time there's been an old school option in a special or non playing shirt, e.g. the Marcos Ayerza testimonial shirt, it seems they cant sell them quick enough. Maybe they could go with a retro shirt alongside the new one, like the selection in the City fanstore, that might give everyone an option they can get excited about. I'd be fascinated to see annual sales numbers for shirts in the years since cotton traders went, cos none of them really seem to have had a rapturous reception.
I wouldn't be surprised if the academy shirt isba lot more traditional AND that they decide to offer that for sale too, that would cover a lot of revenue avenues...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.