Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by sapajo »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:28 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:56 pm Being no mug and an Ex Tiger is no qualification for the job that Kay allegedly performs. What does is actual job performance and in my opinion he has gone AWOL. Him and Underwood the Rugby Committee with no responsibility or consequences for the bilge that is sold to us under the slogan of the home of world class rugby.
Being an ex-international rugby player who's still immersed in modern rugby is actually a pretty good qualification for his current role (he's also a partner at an award winning advertising business).

He's a non-executive director at Tigers;

"A non-executive director (abbreviated to non-exec, NED or NXD), independent director or external director is a member of the board of directors of a company or organisation, but not a member of the executive management team."

He doesn't run the club or have day to day impact. He's there to offer advice to the board on matters reflecting his experience. Mainly on the rugby committee.

Now you can say that some of the rugby committee decisions have not been good and many (virtually all) would agree but he is a logical choice for the role.
You say logical choice for the role, I say it was convenient and lazy just like Murphys appointment, just finish playing and walk straight back in through the jobs for the boys revolving door.

Tigers has become nothing more than an Old Boys Association retirement home where ability and experience matters didly squat!!!

The result of not recruiting the best person for the job is clearly seen to us all on the pitch for the last 5 seasons!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

sapajo wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:56 pm Being no mug and an Ex Tiger is no qualification for the job that Kay allegedly performs. What does is actual job performance and in my opinion he has gone AWOL. Him and Underwood the Rugby Committee with no responsibility or consequences for the bilge that is sold to us under the slogan of the home of world class rugby.
Being an ex-international rugby player who's still immersed in modern rugby is actually a pretty good qualification for his current role (he's also a partner at an award winning advertising business).

"A non-executive director (abbreviated to non-exec, NED or NXD), independent director or external director is a member of the board of directors of a company or organisation, but not a member of the executive management team."

He doesn't run the club or have day to day impact. He's there to offer advice to the board on matters reflecting his experience. Mainly on the rugby committee.

Now you can say that some of the rugby committee decisions have not been good and many (virtually all) would agree but he is a logical choice for the role.
No - a Non Exec is there to hold the company to account! To hold the directors fingers to the flame. A non exec is not there to 'offer a bit of advice'. It is that attitude that has got us to be where we are.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

An executive director is a member of the board of a firm (or a non-profit organisation) who also has management responsibilities. A non-executive director (NED) is a board member without responsibilities for daily management or operations of the company or organisation.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

No - a Non Exec is there to hold the company to account! To hold the directors fingers to the flame. A non exec is not there to 'offer a bit of advice'. It is that attitude that has got us to be where we are.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:39 pm An executive director is a member of the board of a firm (or a non-profit organisation) who also has management responsibilities. A non-executive director (NED) is a board member without responsibilities for daily management or operations of the company or organisation.
.......but who in the principles of governance is equally responsible with the Exec Directors for the performance, governance and strategic direction of the organisation. They have different roles but are equally accountable in law.
As Good As It Gets
Baz

Post by Baz »

"Cohen admits mistakes have been made but insists he retains the confidence of his board....." What does this say about the rest of the board? He also admits that the balance between the back and the forwards has not been right. I don't understand what justification he has for saying that it has been put right! With Manu and Taute we have two powerful centres, but, if anything happens to them, we would again be struggling at 12/13 in the most competitive Premiership yet.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Baz wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm "Cohen admits mistakes have been made but insists he retains the confidence of his board....." What does this say about the rest of the board? He also admits that the balance between the back and the forwards has not been right. I don't understand what justification he has for saying that it has been put right! With Manu and Taute we have two powerful centres, but, if anything happens to them, we would again be struggling at 12/13 in the most competitive Premiership yet.

Agreed. Where has this issue been resolved? :smt017
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 pm
Baz wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm "Cohen admits mistakes have been made but insists he retains the confidence of his board....." What does this say about the rest of the board? He also admits that the balance between the back and the forwards has not been right. I don't understand what justification he has for saying that it has been put right! With Manu and Taute we have two powerful centres, but, if anything happens to them, we would again be struggling at 12/13 in the most competitive Premiership yet.

Given that we know the players leaving, we do not know the final signings so this could indicate that it has been put right.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Baz

Post by Baz »

"Given that we know the players leaving, we do not know the final signings so this could indicate that it has been put right."

Sincerely hope you're right Tigerbeat.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:31 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 pm

Given that we know the players leaving, we do not know the final signings so this could indicate that it has been put right.
Let us pray that is the case.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Has anyone actually heard rumours about signings over and above the 7 announced?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Baz wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:40 pm Has anyone actually heard rumours about signings over and above the 7 announced?
Yes - but none I'd put my name to! :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Ilsontiger1725
Tiger Cub

Post by Ilsontiger1725 »

Traveller wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:26 pm The former lawyer Mr Cohen really is the very worst of 'bob and weave' merchants. He is CEO, yet nothing is his responsibility, apart from the successes of the past (when he wasn't CEO). Every time he communicates with the media he brings up the issue of abuse in the social media. I feel sorry for all people in the public eye who are subjected to it. Without equivocation - it was appalling.

But Mr Cohen introduces it every time, as a tactic to undermine legitimate criticism i.e. If you are one of the people who are highly critical of me, you are the sort of person that would indulge in social media abuse. Not true.

He is the CEO. The club has been in decline since he took on that roll. Either it is his fault and he should be fired or resign. Or he should say to the BOD - "the club will continue to decline unless you make the following changes".

In spite of the incompetence shown in the recruitment and dismissal of coaches over the last 36 months not a single decision maker has the courtesy or courage to resign. Who was responsible for the appoint of O'Connor and his dismissal? It was clearly a poor decision because you fired him. So resign. Was it the same person who recruited Mauger?

Mr Cohen admits the catering is poor, but "not my responsibility", Mr Cohen admits the playing kit is poor "not my responsibility", the sales office looks like a tip "not my responsibility", player recruitment "not my responsibility"...........performance on the field "not my responsibility". He is the only CEO in the UK - without responsibility.
Absolutely spot on except you've got to include Peter Tom CBE is this absolute debacle - another one who refuses to take responsibility for the complete shambles at Tigers, despite being EXECUTIVE Chairman - not an honorary post.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cohen has tried to distance himself from O’Connor debacle but he has still hasn’t apologised for lying on television!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

JP14 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:41 am Cohen has tried to distance himself from O’Connor debacle but he has still hasn’t apologised for lying on television!

Do you really expect him to? Apologising is not in his book.