Rugby Paper article

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

1989Tiger
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Rugby Paper article

Post by 1989Tiger » Sun May 19, 2019 12:00 pm

Simon Cohen is going nowhere and an experienced head may join to help Murphy.

It’s nothing new but worth a read still.

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/domesti ... mon-cohen/

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3166
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by JP14 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:42 pm

I have feeling Kay might be ousted/forced to resign... just a feeling no more.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

kk20gb30
Tiger Cub
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by kk20gb30 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:49 pm

After a season such as this would tend to think that there would have to be some blood letting aside from the playing side.From Kay to Cohen it seems responsibility is far easier to pass than take.Everyone at the club should look at themselves - I doubt that they will.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by BFG » Sun May 19, 2019 2:13 pm

I don't see what Kay brings other than being in a position to dish any dirt he chooses on the telly.

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3435
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by strawclearer » Sun May 19, 2019 2:18 pm

JP14 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:42 pm
I have feeling Kay might be ousted/forced to resign... just a feeling no more.
I know the feeling is that the rugby committee itself has possibly outlived its usefulness. Ben Kay being in and around every other club is not seen as a problem per se for us.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 803
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:53 am

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by CitizenSmiff » Sun May 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Urgh, same old same old. There's a lack of accountability at this club that would see heads roll in literally any other industry but it looks like we'll just keep chugging along with the 'stability' argument until the wheels well and truly fall off.

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:15 pm
Location: High Wycombe, Bucks.

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by Dangerous4 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:08 pm

As I said, the excuses have begun.

Cohen stated the obvious, that changing coaches was disruptive, but there is no problem at Board level. Just who was responsible for this. The BOD, of course, or has he conveniently forgotten this fact?

Mr. Cohen, there IS a problem with the BOD. Stop making lame excuses. Kay out for starters.

MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:17 am

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by MikeR » Sun May 19, 2019 3:10 pm

I heard a whisper that we want Dean Richards back and - we shall see .

Dr H Flashman MBE
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Bath..Behind enemy lines..

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE » Sun May 19, 2019 3:46 pm

Deano back...Interesting..as DOR or head coach (whatever the difference is). I guess time is a great healer. But he is ex Tigers so if this happened, would the board be accused of getting him because of who he was?
There is never any points for 2nd place...

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2934
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by sam16111986 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:50 pm

BFG wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:13 pm
I don't see what Kay brings other than being in a position to dish any dirt he chooses on the telly.
Kay is no mug, any information he provides through his punditry is done so in line with what the club want the public to know.

Kay was always a key strategist in his playing days and is an intelligent bloke, his job role outside of the club allows him to remain immersed in rugby and get a good look at how things are done elsewhere so his non-exec position on the rugby committee makes sense. Whether he will choose to remain in that role or whether the post comes with a need for reappointment after a number of years I don't know.
MikeR wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:10 pm
I heard a whisper that we want Dean Richards back and - we shall see .
Why? Newcastle had a good enough squad to stay up this season and they played awfully. Just too much like chasing the past as opposed to looking ahead.

sapajo
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by sapajo » Sun May 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Being no mug and an Ex Tiger is no qualification for the job that Kay allegedly performs. What does is actual job performance and in my opinion he has gone AWOL. Him and Underwood the Rugby Committee with no responsibility or consequences for the bilge that is sold to us under the slogan of the home of world class rugby.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity

Traveller
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by Traveller » Sun May 19, 2019 7:26 pm

The former lawyer Mr Cohen really is the very worst of 'bob and weave' merchants. He is CEO, yet nothing is his responsibility, apart from the successes of the past (when he wasn't CEO). Every time he communicates with the media he brings up the issue of abuse in the social media. I feel sorry for all people in the public eye who are subjected to it. Without equivocation - it was appalling.

But Mr Cohen introduces it every time, as a tactic to undermine legitimate criticism i.e. If you are one of the people who are highly critical of me, you are the sort of person that would indulge in social media abuse. Not true.

He is the CEO. The club has been in decline since he took on that roll. Either it is his fault and he should be fired or resign. Or he should say to the BOD - "the club will continue to decline unless you make the following changes".

In spite of the incompetence shown in the recruitment and dismissal of coaches over the last 36 months not a single decision maker has the courtesy or courage to resign. Who was responsible for the appoint of O'Connor and his dismissal? It was clearly a poor decision because you fired him. So resign. Was it the same person who recruited Mauger?

Mr Cohen admits the catering is poor, but "not my responsibility", Mr Cohen admits the playing kit is poor "not my responsibility", the sales office looks like a tip "not my responsibility", player recruitment "not my responsibility"...........performance on the field "not my responsibility". He is the only CEO in the UK - without responsibility.

sapajo
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by sapajo » Sun May 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Superbly written spot on post :smt041
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2934
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by sam16111986 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:28 pm

sapajo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:56 pm
Being no mug and an Ex Tiger is no qualification for the job that Kay allegedly performs. What does is actual job performance and in my opinion he has gone AWOL. Him and Underwood the Rugby Committee with no responsibility or consequences for the bilge that is sold to us under the slogan of the home of world class rugby.
Being an ex-international rugby player who's still immersed in modern rugby is actually a pretty good qualification for his current role (he's also a partner at an award winning advertising business).

He's a non-executive director at Tigers;

"A non-executive director (abbreviated to non-exec, NED or NXD), independent director or external director is a member of the board of directors of a company or organisation, but not a member of the executive management team."

He doesn't run the club or have day to day impact. He's there to offer advice to the board on matters reflecting his experience. Mainly on the rugby committee.

Now you can say that some of the rugby committee decisions have not been good and many (virtually all) would agree but he is a logical choice for the role.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Rugby Paper article

Post by BFG » Sun May 19, 2019 9:09 pm

sam16111986 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:28 pm
sapajo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:56 pm
Being no mug and an Ex Tiger is no qualification for the job that Kay allegedly performs. What does is actual job performance and in my opinion he has gone AWOL. Him and Underwood the Rugby Committee with no responsibility or consequences for the bilge that is sold to us under the slogan of the home of world class rugby.
Being an ex-international rugby player who's still immersed in modern rugby is actually a pretty good qualification for his current role (he's also a partner at an award winning advertising business).

He's a non-executive director at Tigers;

"A non-executive director (abbreviated to non-exec, NED or NXD), independent director or external director is a member of the board of directors of a company or organisation, but not a member of the executive management team."

He doesn't run the club or have day to day impact. He's there to offer advice to the board on matters reflecting his experience. Mainly on the rugby committee.

Now you can say that some of the rugby committee decisions have not been good and many (virtually all) would agree but he is a logical choice for the role.
Therein lies a problem for me, giving advice without the full picture.
It may as well be you or I interfering, because to be honest we probably possess and spend more time looking in from the outside.
A DoR in full control on the other hand...things get done!
This why the (Cohen?) comment that the rugby committee is no longer fit for purpose is relevant.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bendy, BengalTiger, cheltexile, hugh.st, Leicestertinytiger and 2 guests