Tigers vs Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Tigers vs Bath

Post by Brutus »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:37 am My understanding is that the leaving players were asked as a group to say if they didn't want to play this week, so any leaving player selected is there because he wants to be and should be applauded for that. Many players are carrying injury and not available for selection others maybe could have played in a crucial game but why risk aggravating a niggle for no real purpose, so a non selected departing player has not necessarily declined to play. Good luck to them all, I wish them all the best for the future.
That is fair enough. I would hope that in order to have the most benefit for next season the team would be filled in the following order:
1. Matt Smith
2. Fit and able (free from any niggles) first-teamers who are staying
3. Youngsters
4. Departees

I wish the departees all the best but the future of the club is the most important thing and I think it is essential that playing combinations that may line up together next year are given every opportunity to get some competitive game time together.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It's funny that people complain when Murphy says he will play the players that are leaving, but then also complain that Toomua got released early so won't be playing the last game...
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BG01 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:02 am Given the injuries in the squad, Murphy doesn't have a lot of options. But I'd play the strongest squad available, plus stand down HIA players from last week.

I think he will play the youngsters - Heyes mentioned on the podcast that he'll be starting. Wouldn't be surprised to see White, SAR, Olowefela etc all involved
Good! Let’s give the likes of Gigena, Heyes, Wells, Reffell, Worth a run out and see what they’re made of. We’ll have experience on the bench and then at least we’ll know where they’re at for next season.
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:56 am It's funny that people complain when Murphy says he will play the players that are leaving, but then also complain that Toomua got released early so won't be playing the last game...
I think it was very sensible to let Toomua leave early, I image that some financial compensation would have been sought (you would hope so) for his remaining salary. The game against Bath must be used as part of the preparation for next season so as MT had nothing meaningful to offer the future of the club and his future lay elsewhere, letting him go was a win-win.

Some people get so wrapped up in sentiment they are unable to see things objectively.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So Geordie was fibbing then,Youngs over Smith is a bad shout for captain though imo!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Brutus wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:14 am
Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:56 am It's funny that people complain when Murphy says he will play the players that are leaving, but then also complain that Toomua got released early so won't be playing the last game...
I think it was very sensible to let Toomua leave early, I image that some financial compensation would have been sought (you would hope so) for his remaining salary. The game against Bath must be used as part of the preparation for next season so as MT had nothing meaningful to offer the future of the club and his future lay elsewhere, letting him go was a win-win.

Some people get so wrapped up in sentiment they are unable to see things objectively.
What 1 week's salary.
I highly doubt we got paid anything.
neilf
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by neilf »

Leicester Tigers (v Bath Rugby, Welford Road, Saturday 4.00pm)
15 George Worth
14 Sam Aspland-Robinson
13 Matt Smith
12 Kyle Eastmond
11 Clayton Blommetjies
10 George Ford
9 Sam Harrison
1 Ellis Genge
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Will Spencer
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Mike Fitzgerald
7 Brendon O’Connor
8 Sione Kalamafoni
Replacements
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Facundo Gigena
18 Joe Heyes
19 Harry Wells
20 Valentino Mapapalangi
21 Ben White
22 Tom Hardwick
23 Leonardo Sarto
Bath Rugby: 15 Anthony Watson, 14 Joe Cokanasiga, 13 Jonathan Joseph, 12 Max Wright, 11 Ruaridh McConnochie, 10 Freddie Burns, 9 Will Chudley; 1 Beno Obano, 2 Tom Dunn, 3 Max Lahiff, 4 Levi Douglas, 5 Charlie Ewels (c), 6 Tom Ellis, 7 Sam Underhill, 8 Zach Mercer.
Replacements: 16 Ross Batty, 17 Jacques van Rooyen, 18 Sam Nixon, 19 Elliott Stooke, 20 Francios Louw, 21 Kahn Fotuali’I, 22 Rhys Priestland, 23 Semesa Rokoduguni.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:01 pm So Geordie was fibbing then,Youngs over Smith is a bad shout for captain though imo!
By all means let him lead the side out but captain for the sake of it when Youngs and Ford would take over on the paddock, let’s be realistic people
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Bath by 10-15
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Scott1 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:08 pmBath by 10-15
More like 4.15, I reckon!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Brutus wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:48 am
johnthegriff wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:37 am My understanding is that the leaving players were asked as a group to say if they didn't want to play this week, so any leaving player selected is there because he wants to be and should be applauded for that. Many players are carrying injury and not available for selection others maybe could have played in a crucial game but why risk aggravating a niggle for no real purpose, so a non selected departing player has not necessarily declined to play. Good luck to them all, I wish them all the best for the future.
That is fair enough. I would hope that in order to have the most benefit for next season the team would be filled in the following order:
1. Matt Smith
2. Fit and able (free from any niggles) first-teamers who are staying
3. Youngsters
4. Departees

I wish the departees all the best but the future of the club is the most important thing and I think it is essential that playing combinations that may line up together next year are given every opportunity to get some competitive game time together.
Should the HC be asking players if they want to play? Regardless of whether they are leaving or not, they are currently a tigers player and Murphy should pick what he thinks is the best side.
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

loretta wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:10 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:08 pmBath by 10-15
More like 4.15, I reckon!
Very good! Yes looking at both teams and benches this could be our worse home defeat yet,maybe I was being too positive be with 10-15,this could be an absolute schellacking!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

At least it's only 80 minutes more of embarrassment! Then we can let the deadwood go,bin Blake and Bakewell and get on our hands and knees and beg these new coaches/head coach to come in and sort this utter mess out!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I can't believe that any contracted player would decline to play or even be asked the question.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Noggs wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:17 pm I can't believe that any contracted player would decline to play or even be asked the question.
Yep another embarrassingly comical day in the life of Tigers.