Tigers vs Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Bath

Post by Scott1 »

I'm unhappy,the leavers won't give a damn as per usual and the kids who will try their best might get pumped while the first teamers get an undeserved early holiday! Bad form Geordie if true! Should be strongest possible available!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

To be fair to Murphy he's stuck between a rock and a hard place for this game.

Secondly, sometimes our team has looked great on paper and still been poor.

Thirdly, some of our youngsters have played pretty well and outshone supposed senior pro's at times this season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

There's the fact that teams are still playing for playoffs and RCC rugby too,we owe it to play our strongest 23!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Freebird
Tiger Cub

Post by Freebird »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 pm There's the fact that teams are still playing for playoffs and RCC rugby too,we owe it to play our strongest 23!
Why? Some teams will have played weakened teams in rounds 6, 9, 12 or whatever because they had one eye on the fixture next week. Week 22 does not pay double points so it is no different. From a Tigers perspective, I'd rather players that will be in the squad next year being given experience over players who are off elsewhere.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Freebird has a point... I just want to see a convincing win!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

jgriffin wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 pm Smurf says he's going to play the leavers and the youngsters! Feel unhappy with not turning out the strongest possible side?
For me this shows Murphys inexperience and ineptitude. Another thrashing at home is beckoning and sadly I think no one at Tigers really gives a flying fig. Not a good way to end the season from hell.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

I think Murphy is playing mind games, he will put out our strongest team for the game against Bath.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 pm Smurf says he's going to play the leavers and the youngsters! Feel unhappy with not turning out the strongest possible side?
The leavers make up the majority of what Murphy has considered his strongest pack. They've been poor and probably will be again. Quite frankly some of the youngsters deserve more of a chance than they've had because of the poor performances it's been hard to throw them in as much. I'd quite happily see Reffell and Heyes start in the pack and the likes of Worth and Hardwick get a go in the backs.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Given the injuries in the squad, Murphy doesn't have a lot of options. But I'd play the strongest squad available, plus stand down HIA players from last week.

I think he will play the youngsters - Heyes mentioned on the podcast that he'll be starting. Wouldn't be surprised to see White, SAR, Olowefela etc all involved
Never believe generalisations
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

BG01 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:02 am Given the injuries in the squad, Murphy doesn't have a lot of options. But I'd play the strongest squad available, plus stand down HIA players from last week.

I think he will play the youngsters - Heyes mentioned on the podcast that he'll be starting. Wouldn't be surprised to see White, SAR, Olowefela etc all involved
Olowefela is unlikely to start as he is having / had surgery.....
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:34 am
BG01 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:02 am Given the injuries in the squad, Murphy doesn't have a lot of options. But I'd play the strongest squad available, plus stand down HIA players from last week.

Olowefela is unlikely to start as he is having / had surgery.....
Unlikely? He definitely won’t be involved. He has been ruled out.
Last edited by 1989Tiger on Fri May 17, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

To be honest, I pay for a season ticket to watch Leicester Tigers play. What team is picked is irrelevant.

Are they wearing a Tigers shirt? Yes. Then I’ll support them.
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

There is nothing to play for in terms of play-offs or champions cup qualification and Tigers are safe from relegation so in that sense the season is all but over, however I'm in agreement with those that believe this game matters greatly because:
- The opposition are Bath
- It's the last game in Tigers colours for a fantastic servant of the club - he must captain this game!
- It's a chance to load the side with players who we want to see in the team next season, i.e. the youngsters

I hope I'm wrong but my gut feeling is that we will not win this match whatever the selection. I would rather we ditch those who are in the departure lounge and have been underwhelming all season so we can send out the young players who have a stake in the future of the club and may go out there with a genuine bit of fire in their bellies, which will lift the fans. My justification for this is that I don't buy into the argument that the players are professionals and need to give their best every match - the fact that they are professionals means that is a career for them and everyone has a bad day in the office, especially if they know that their future is elsewhere. That I am writing this during office hours whilst working my last few weeks notice in my current job supports this theory!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

My understanding is that the leaving players were asked as a group to say if they didn't want to play this week, so any leaving player selected is there because he wants to be and should be applauded for that. Many players are carrying injury and not available for selection others maybe could have played in a crucial game but why risk aggravating a niggle for no real purpose, so a non selected departing player has not necessarily declined to play. Good luck to them all, I wish them all the best for the future.
jaguar
Tiger Cub

Post by jaguar »

1989Tiger wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 am To be honest, I pay for a season ticket to watch Leicester Tigers play. What team is picked is irrelevant.

Are they wearing a Tigers shirt? Yes. Then I’ll support them.
Well said to you ,there will be ups and downs disappointing results which we have experienced but these players are professional people they play to win, Leicester are rebuilding last game of the season tomorrow let’s get behind this team because we are Leicester.