Toomua gone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Toomua gone

Post by physiodan »

Toomua has officially left and is in Melbourne. I know there is a sour taste in a few mouths but in his day he was great for Tigers. He has returned home to further his international career and good luck to him. All the best Matt and hope you make the Aussie squad.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Toomua gone

Post by wellstiger »

I wish him well. But great for Tigers?
:smt017 :smt017
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Don't think everyone will take this stance.
Disappointed with the social media abuse he had to take along with his family from Club 'supporters'.
Disappointed with the early season contract fiasco and his own about face on the agreed extension.
Disappointed with his level of performance this season.
On current form is he actually worth an international place ?
Don't believe its all been worth it for either side.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I take nothing away from his playing ability, shame we never got to see more? Pity he couldn't find the time to stay for the final game and play against Bath for the pride of the club and as a thank you to the supporters? As Cohen says, there is a lack of balance in the playing squad and a prime example of this are Ints that have contracts that allow them to 'swan off' regardless. Build a core squad and produce a set of players that hold the club as important as the supporters do - example Sarries 6-7 years. Players like Slater and Thacker are excellent examples of such and where are they now - not in a Tigers shirt anymore like many others.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

TigerCam wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:17 am I take nothing away from his playing ability, shame we never got to see more? Pity he couldn't find the time to stay for the final game and play against Bath for the pride of the club and as a thank you to the supporters? As Cohen says, there is a lack of balance in the playing squad and a prime example of this are Ints that have contracts that allow them to 'swan off' regardless. Build a core squad and produce a set of players that hold the club as important as the supporters do - example Sarries 6-7 years. Players like Slater and Thacker are excellent examples of such and where are they now - not in a Tigers shirt anymore like many others.
“Swan off regardless”. That’s a bit unfair. They are going to represent their country. That’s a huge honour.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

This feels symptomatic of the state the club is currently in.

For Toomua, failure to attend the last home game of the season (assuming he doesn't) and say goodbye to the fans is to neglect a long-held tradition of our club. The game may be a dead rubber for us, but that part is still important.

For the club, to not even say anything publicly about our marquee player leaving his contract early is amateur. They need to appreciate that it's 2019 and it takes more effort to stay ahead of the news cycle than the pre-social media days.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 am This feels symptomatic of the state the club is currently in.

For Toomua, failure to attend the last home game of the season (assuming he doesn't) and say goodbye to the fans is to neglect a long-held tradition of our club. The game may be a dead rubber for us, but that part is still important.

For the club, to not even say anything publicly about our marquee player leaving his contract early is amateur. They need to appreciate that it's 2019 and it takes more effort to stay ahead of the news cycle than the pre-social media days.
Oh please that tradition has been out the window for 2 seasons, Also doubt he would be too fond of the fans after the abuse he got.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I am dissapointed that the club has chosen not to promulgate his departure and just leave it to foreign press to inform us supporters. Quick enough spinning rubbish when it suits :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

So his new employers are saying Matt it would really help us out if you could a week early, his current employer says yes that’s fine Matt if you go a week early. Happens all the time in every industry.

As for the social media thing, the point is that it is immediate, the Tigers like any organisation of any size need to get statements cleared, one person can’t just release something
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

And yet we’re forever moaning that we should hear of incomings first.....this is the reason the don’t announce immediately. Respect

Shame we don’t get the same from elsewhere.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Tigers were apparently "Open to his early release" and he is expected to play this weekend too.
Shame he left Tigers without a goodbye But in my mind he was not the player I expected and fell down the grade of a top flight ~ highly paid player. :smt039
https://www.planetrugby.com/news/matt-t ... els-debut/
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

To be honest it seemed like his head was back in Australia or much of the season.

Shame we didn't get the player we hoped he would be.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

The club now release something - https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/to ... -australia - and there's no quote from Toomua, nor from Geordie.

No, "Thanks, I've had a great time but this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up," just a dry statement telling us how many appearances he made. No, "Matt's a great lad, we wish him well."

Would this happen at a healthy club?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

He's entitled to do what's best for himself, ie run off to scrap for a Wallabies jersey he hasn't been playing well enough to earn. It just means I won't be cheering him on in any way as I do for most ex Tigers when the situation allows. We're best just forgetting him and moving on, nothing to be gained by raking over his character.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

He certainly dashed my high hopes of him being a great player for us. I just wonder if bad coaching had anything to do with it? Even Manu has fallen short for us this season, so it is possible.

So, he has left us, and gone back to Australia a week early. Perhaps he was worried by the reception he thought he would get from the crowd. Maybe the club should play the song of Roy Orbison next Saturday entitled " Running Scared ". :smt005