London Irish: an immorality tale?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish: an immorality tale?

Post by Scott1 »

What Folau has done doesn't bother me one jot,Jacksons case is despicable imo. Poor comparison!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:46 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 am One guy expresses his beliefs inline with his religion, albeit publicly - we don’t want him at Tigers and should never play again.

One guy is found not guilty in a lengthy trial, which exposes some private messages which were derogatory towards women - we don’t want him at Tigers and should never play rugby again.

One guy pleaded guilty to assaulting two female police officers, a taxi driver, and criminal damage - he’s our star player.
If you know what was involved in the Manu case, and what was involved in the Jackson case, to draw equivalence is the act of a moral vacuum. Folau is between him and his employers.

I don’t know why the jury found Jackson not guilty, but that they did. So we are left with the moral comparison of derogatory private text messages vs public assault, pushing two female police officers.

Ultimately, I separate personal life’s, conduct and opinions, from sport. I don’t consider sports men and women as role models, simply people playing sport so don’t really got bothered either way but I do find it a bit hypocritical when people start talking about ‘Rugby values’.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

anz3001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 am One guy expresses his beliefs inline with his religion, albeit publicly - we don’t want him at Tigers and should never play again.

One guy is found not guilty in a lengthy trial, which exposes some private messages which were derogatory towards women - we don’t want him at Tigers and should never play rugby again.

One guy pleaded guilty to assaulting two female police officers, a taxi driver, and criminal damage - he’s our star player.
If you know what was involved in the Manu case, and what was involved in the Jackson case, to draw equivalence is the act of a moral vacuum. Folau is between him and his employers.
I suspect that you're wasting your time with someone willing to make that shocking comparison, and anyone willing to overlook a female being left bloodied and crying as acceptable behaviour!
The comparison is just unbelievable!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

BFG wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:00 pm

I suspect that you're wasting your time with someone willing to make that shocking comparison, and anyone willing to overlook a female being left bloodied and crying as acceptable behaviour!
The comparison is just unbelievable!
I never said it was acceptable, please don’t put words in my mouth.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Obviously regardless of the decision of the case an odious bloke.

You hope Tigers would never want to be involved with anyone like that (or Folau), I wonder what Irish's sponsors think & it will be interesting to see what firm would want to be his individual sponsor.... City Banking firm maybe.

I remember some fan reaction in Wendyball when Lee Bowyer was linked with certain clubs, but then again Ched Evans, Lee Hughes resumed their careers.

The Manu case wasn't great, but I got the impression that he plead guilty to close the case, it was hardly in the same ball park as Jackson, no custodial sentence.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

This theme is utter :censored:. Some people are living in cloud cuckoo land. Have you ever played the game or been on tour?
From the snowflake comments being posted I seriously doubt it
Rugby players are picked for their ability to play rugby not as seminarians or youth club leaders.
They are young, fit, strong and attractive to women. They are surrounded by girls, eager and willing for their attention
especially on tour. To use an old saying "there is plenty of spare" wherever they go.
"What happens on tour, stays on tour" covers a multitude of sins. If you knew even a fraction of what goes on you would express no surprise at this Jackson case. To espect saints playing rugby is ludicrous.
For those in doubt, talk to some ex-players about the "social side of rugby and touring" or read the numerous accounts in memoirs. On tours to South Wales, South Africa, Canada. Australia.
Yes they should set a good example on the field with effort, skill and sportsmanship but their off field activities are their own private business.
A life long Tiger
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Totally agree with Smudge, he was found not guilty in a court of law and in my book not guilty, yes there are lots of girls who make themselves available to famous people and sport stars, how do we know this wasn't the case in this instance, yes he sent some awful texts to his mates after the meet but nothing worse than a lot of young guys I work with send.
In my opinion Manu Tuilagi is just as culpable in his physical assault on two female police officers, they must have been terrified of him at the time but because he plays for us a lot of posters on here think that's ok.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Totally disagree with Smudge and BigDan50.

Things have moved or at least they should have.

And Manu's situation was totally different. Read the facts of both cases and make your judgement.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

FWIW I totally disagree with Smudge and Dan50. I think the world has changed for the better.

Even from a practical point if view, now it’s more a case of “what goes on tour, goes on social media.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Smudge’s view for me is old-fashioned and “what happens on tour, stays on tour” isn’t an excuse. Jackson was not on tour, he wasn’t an amateur rugby player, he is a professional nationally capped rugby player who should be setting an example, referring to girls as “merry-go-rounds” is derogatory and completely unprofessional.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Blimey is that the same Smudge who always complains about Mad Dog being treated like a piece of meat!
Dinosaur!
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

Jackson was found not guilty so should be allowed to freely pursue his career as a professional rugby player. That said, clubs are well within their rights to not sign someone if their past conduct is contrary to their ethos. Jackson and his pals also may have been innocently engaging some consensual "spit roasting" in the evening and then got carried away with mob mentality on WhattsApp the following day. That said, however innocent they may be, these private messages don't paint these chaps in a good light and as public figures it will have undoubtedly tarnished their reputations, leaving their actions to be considered as misguided at best.
If LI are happy for their image to be tarnished by signing a player with such a damaged reputation and with the potential impact that has on a loss of sponsorship, shirt sales and season ticket renewals in order to achieve a potential short term improvement in performance on the pitch, then so be it.
I am just hopeful that Tigers don't ever follow suit, as that sort of signing detracts attention away from the import subject of rugby, as demonstrated by this very thread.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Brutus wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:22 pm Jackson was found not guilty so should be allowed to freely pursue his career as a professional rugby player. That said, clubs are well within their rights to not sign someone if their past conduct is contrary to their ethos. Jackson and his pals also may have been innocently engaging some consensual "spit roasting" in the evening and then got carried away with mob mentality on WhattsApp the following day. That said, however innocent they may be, these private messages don't paint these chaps in a good light and as public figures it will have undoubtedly tarnished their reputations, leaving their actions to be considered as misguided at best.
If LI are happy for their image to be tarnished by signing a player with such a damaged reputation and with the potential impact that has on a loss of sponsorship, shirt sales and season ticket renewals in order to achieve a potential short term improvement in performance on the pitch, then so be it.
I am just hopeful that Tigers don't ever follow suit, as that sort of signing detracts attention away from the import subject of rugby, as demonstrated by this very thread.
On the other hand, Tigers will undoubtedly suffer reduced season tickets sales as the players we have, have not performed well enough. Clubs just can’t win these days!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

The bottom line is, how well does he play rugby?
Not a week goes by when someone on here is pleading for the club to sign some hard nut enforcers.
Something I agree with but they will certainly not be choirboys or youth club leaders. They will also play hard off the field.
Yes, I have toured with some real hard nuts who never took a backwards step, on or off the field. Blokes who were not afraid to dive in among the feet and put everything on line for the team. They were brilliant people and have gone on to great success in business and the professions.. What happened in post match "celebrations" is certainly not for publication!
If that makes me a dinosaur tuff :censored:.
A life long Tiger
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Would be unfair to call you a dinosaur but life has changed, and yes even in rugby clubs. You might even have noticed women’s teams and masses of juniors at most amateur clubs. These are the lifeblood of the game now. Not the antics of blokes in the 70s and 80s.

Combine that with corporate values where he who pays the piper calls the tune.