London Irish: an immorality tale?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AusTiger
Tiger Cub

Re: London Irish: an immorality tale?

Post by AusTiger »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:51 pm He should be banned from rugby.
Why?
AusTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by AusTiger »

As much as I do not agree with the treatment of the girl, they were found innocent.

What do we do about our current players. Should Manu have been banned for GBH when he assaulted Ashton on the pitch, or is that okay because he is one of ours?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hello, is there anyone home above!!!
Being found not guilty doesn't necessarily mean innocent, it means the evidence was not strong enough for a guilty verdict.
Guilt is to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BFG wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:07 pm Hello, is there anyone home above!!!
Being found not guilty doesn't necessarily mean innocent, it means the evidence was not strong enough for a guilty verdict.
Guilt is to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.
Couldn’t agree more. The text messages are damning enough and are in a similar vain to ones found on a recently convicted cricketers phone.

People who say oh he was found not guilty let’s move on, I doubt you would be saying that if it was one of your family members involved. Secondly, as a professional sportsman whilst found not guilty, rightly should be held to high morale standards which he failed to do. As such I don’t want to see him play in the premiership.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

I strongly believe he shouldn’t play for Tigers and stated that at the time of the court case. That hasn’t changed for me.

I note the Venn diagram for those that support Folau and Jackson is two directly overlapping circles. Go figure on their views in respect of women and homosexuals.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There is a vast difference between the Folau and Jackson cases. Folau expressed views based on his religion again not shared by many in the modern world and simply contrary to the code of conduct of his employers.

Whilst Jackson was found guilty of the crime he was charged with, it was abundantly clear from the evidence given in the trial that his behaviour was frankly reprehensible and utterly incompatible with the values and ethos of Ulster rugby club.

I would like to think Tigers would have done the same and am disappointed that London Irish have employed him. Crime or no crime would you want someone like that to be working for you? No doubt he comes cheap given the baggage. I hope London Irish are satisfied he has reflected and is a reformed character.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

One guy expresses his beliefs inline with his religion, albeit publicly - we don’t want him at Tigers and should never play again.

One guy is found not guilty in a lengthy trial, which exposes some private messages which were derogatory towards women - we don’t want him at Tigers and should never play rugby again.

One guy pleaded guilty to assaulting two female police officers, a taxi driver, and criminal damage - he’s our star player.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Apparently Jackson is on 500k pa! And Folau could lose his job,crazy world we live in these days!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Paddy Jackson aside, interested to know peoples thoughts on how Irish will go next season? Spent BIG. Interesting to see Sean O’Briens comments in the press saying he’d have preferred to stay in Ireland for a fraction of what his new contract pays - not a great start.

Kepu and Naholo very impressive. Really like what I’ve seen of Rona too. Will go well for them
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Sean O’Brien likes to say it how it is, remember the Lions?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I can see the headline now. Tomas Lavenini ko's Paddy Jackson. :smt005
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:37 pm I can see the headline now. Tomas Lavenini ko's Paddy Jackson. :smt005
....gets red carded for it, Jackson passes HIA and scores the winning points....

Last laugh and all that.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

tigertone wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:37 pm Firstly, there is no such thing as being "controversially" not guilty. Not guilty means innocent.
Tell that to OJ Simpson
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

The OP raises the question of morality not legality. The fact Jackson wasn’t convicted doesn’t mean he acted morally.

Jackson’s contracts were not terminated because of guilt, but because his behaviour was below the standard expected. So you could suggest that Irish are saying that their standards are lower than those of Ulster and the Irish national side.

A good friend of mine is an Irish supporter, he can live with Jackson playing for them, but his wife certainly can’t. So she won’t be watching them, it will be interesting to see how many female fans feel the same.

My support for Tigers survives poor performances and would survive relegation. But it would be sorely tested if they offered a contract to the likes of Jackson, Olding or Folau. If the ‘Tigers family’ thing means anything it must mean a set of values.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

anz3001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 am One guy expresses his beliefs inline with his religion, albeit publicly - we don’t want him at Tigers and should never play again.

One guy is found not guilty in a lengthy trial, which exposes some private messages which were derogatory towards women - we don’t want him at Tigers and should never play rugby again.

One guy pleaded guilty to assaulting two female police officers, a taxi driver, and criminal damage - he’s our star player.
If you know what was involved in the Manu case, and what was involved in the Jackson case, to draw equivalence is the act of a moral vacuum. Folau is between him and his employers.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.