France - end of season round up.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

France - end of season round up.

Post by Robespierre » Wed May 08, 2019 9:21 am

For those of you who are interested, here's the situation in the French Top14 and ProD2 as the season draws to a close.

The Top14 leaders:

1. Toulouse 89 points - remaining matches Bordeaux (a), Perpignan (h)
2. Clermont 82 Toulon (a), Montpellier (h)
3. Lyon 70 La Rochelle (h), Grenoble (a)
4. La Rochelle 66 Lyon (a), Bordeaux (h)
5. Castres 65 Agen (a), Toulon (h)
6.Racing 64 Perpignan (a), Agen (a)
7. Montpellier 61 Stade Français (h), Clermont (a)
8. Stade Français 60 Montpellier (a), Pau (h)

Toulouse and Clermont are assured of their semi final places leaving the others listed above to fight for places in the play-offs. Notable absentees are Toulon who are down in 10th place with 48 points.
Perpignan are already relegated and Grenoble will have to play-off with the runner-up in ProD2 to decide their place in the Top14 next season.
Naturally, I hope Toulouse will win the "Bouclier de Brennus" and be crowned champions, but Clermont, Castres (last season's champions) and Racing will mount the biggest challenges, in my opinion.

In ProD2, the final table looks like this:

1. Brive 91
2. Oyonnax 87
3. Bayonne 83
4. Vannes 80
5. Mont de Marsan 78
6. Nevers 78

Brive and Oyonnax are already in the semis.
In the play-offs, Bayonne are at home to Nevers (May 11th), the winner meeting Oyonnax in the first semi-final (May 18th), and Vannes at home to Mont de Marsan (12th), the winner plays Brive in the second semi-final (May19th).
The final will be at Pau on May 26th.
Personally, I'd like to see Brive back in the Top14 and Grenoble to maintain their place.
Semper in excreta

fleabane
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4983
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Occitanie

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by fleabane » Fri May 10, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks for the update.

Brive back in the top 14 would be very popular here! When we arrived in France, we went into a local bar, and when we sat down to watch the rugby on the TV, we were quickly asked which of the two teams we supported - Castres or Brive? It is a massive local derby in this part of France.
Valhalla I am coming!

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by Robespierre » Fri May 10, 2019 5:40 pm

fleabane wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:46 pm
Thanks for the update.

Brive back in the top 14 would be very popular here! When we arrived in France, we went into a local bar, and when we sat down to watch the rugby on the TV, we were quickly asked which of the two teams we supported - Castres or Brive? It is a massive local derby in this part of France.
I imagine you gave the right answer or you wouldn't be participating in this forum.
Where's home exactly, fleabane?
Semper in excreta

Goshengareth
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by Goshengareth » Sun May 12, 2019 11:36 am

Thx Robespierre. I always enjoy your updates. And experience envy at you living there! I’ll have to make do with some Provence rosé and some half decent weather in Staffs today. Only 15 more years of work.......

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by Robespierre » Sun May 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Goshengareth wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:36 am
Thx Robespierre. I always enjoy your updates. And experience envy at you living there! I’ll have to make do with some Provence rosé and some half decent weather in Staffs today. Only 15 more years of work.......
Thanks Gg. There doesn't appear to be many of you who take an interest with French rugby, but I'm happy to do it for those who do.
Enjoy your rosé!
Semper in excreta

drc_007
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3135
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:28 am

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by drc_007 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:32 pm

I also hear reading your perspective, please continue.

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3514
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by strawclearer » Sun May 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Merci! :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by Robespierre » Wed May 15, 2019 8:14 pm

ProD2 semi-finals this weekend:

Saturday 18th 18h30 Oyonnax v Bayonne

Sunday 19th 14h15 Brive v Vannes

Vannes, in the south of Brittany (not exactly known as a rugby hotbed!), is a relatively young club having been founded in 1950 and were promoted to ProD2 in May 2016 so have only had two seasons at this level and are remarkably pushing for promotion to the Top14.
However, their adventure may well come to an end on Sunday at Brive, who I think are unbeaten at home and beat Vannes 61-14 at home in the league match in February.

Oyonnax v Bayonne will be tougher to call. Oyonnax won the home match against Bayonne 18-16 in September and Bayonne beat Oyonnax at home 30-25 in January, so maybe Oyonnax have a gnat's cock of an advantage!

However, my 5 euros is on a Brive v Bayonne final!
Semper in excreta

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2189
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by Mark62 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Robespierre if you had to put 5 euros on it which French clubs will be joining Tigers in the European challenge cup next season

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6598
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by jgriffin » Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Robespierre wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:24 pm
Goshengareth wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:36 am
Thx Robespierre. I always enjoy your updates. And experience envy at you living there! I’ll have to make do with some Provence rosé and some half decent weather in Staffs today. Only 15 more years of work.......
Thanks Gg. There doesn't appear to be many of you who take an interest with French rugby, but I'm happy to do it for those who do.
Enjoy your rosé!
In Staffs as well, retired but still having to work so wine is the closest I get. We watched a lot of French ruggy last year, but for some reason not this year. Love your updates. :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by Robespierre » Wed May 15, 2019 8:50 pm

jgriffin wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm
Robespierre wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:24 pm
Goshengareth wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:36 am
Thx Robespierre. I always enjoy your updates. And experience envy at you living there! I’ll have to make do with some Provence rosé and some half decent weather in Staffs today. Only 15 more years of work.......
Thanks Gg. There doesn't appear to be many of you who take an interest with French rugby, but I'm happy to do it for those who do.
Enjoy your rosé!
In Staffs as well, retired but still having to work so wine is the closest I get. We watched a lot of French ruggy last year, but for some reason not this year. Love your updates. :smt023
Pleased you enjoy the updates!
I'll have been down here for twenty years soon and am semi-retired, so am having to earn a few euros here and there to buy a few bottles of wine from time to time!
Semper in excreta

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by Robespierre » Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 pm
Robespierre if you had to put 5 euros on it which French clubs will be joining Tigers in the European challenge cup next season
Tigers could be up against the likes of Montpellier, Stade Français, Bordeaux, Toulon, Pau, Agen, Grenoble (if they don't get relegated), Brive and Bayonne (if both promoted).
The only clubs not within reasonable driving distance from me are SF, Toulon and Grenoble so we'll wait for the announcement of the Challenge Cup pools with eager anticipation!
Semper in excreta

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2189
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by Mark62 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 pm

Robespierre wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 pm
Robespierre if you had to put 5 euros on it which French clubs will be joining Tigers in the European challenge cup next season
Tigers could be up against the likes of Montpellier, Stade Français, Bordeaux, Toulon, Pau, Agen, Grenoble (if they don't get relegated), Brive and Bayonne (if both promoted).
The only clubs not within reasonable driving distance from me are SF, Toulon and Grenoble so we'll wait for the announcement of the Challenge Cup pools with eager anticipation!
Thank you for that, there’s some big clubs there .
What’s the odds we are in a group with Stade, Edinburgh and Ospreys, bit like the good old days

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by Robespierre » Wed May 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 pm
Robespierre wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 pm
Robespierre if you had to put 5 euros on it which French clubs will be joining Tigers in the European challenge cup next season
Tigers could be up against the likes of Montpellier, Stade Français, Bordeaux, Toulon, Pau, Agen, Grenoble (if they don't get relegated), Brive and Bayonne (if both promoted).
The only clubs not within reasonable driving distance from me are SF, Toulon and Grenoble so we'll wait for the announcement of the Challenge Cup pools with eager anticipation!
Thank you for that, there’s some big clubs there .
What’s the odds we are in a group with Stade, Edinburgh and Ospreys, bit like the good old days
Book your seats to cheer on Tigers in the final in Marseille on Friday 22nd May NOW!!!
Semper in excreta

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2346
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: France - end of season round up.

Post by LE18 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:45 pm

Robespierre wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:14 pm
ProD2 semi-finals this weekend:

Saturday 18th 18h30 Oyonnax v Bayonne

Sunday 19th 14h15 Brive v Vannes

Vannes, in the south of Brittany (not exactly known as a rugby hotbed!), is a relatively young club having been founded in 1950 and were promoted to ProD2 in May 2016 so have only had two seasons at this level and are remarkably pushing for promotion to the Top14.
However, their adventure may well come to an end on Sunday at Brive, who I think are unbeaten at home and beat Vannes 61-14 at home in the league match in February.

Oyonnax v Bayonne will be tougher to call. Oyonnax won the home match against Bayonne 18-16 in September and Bayonne beat Oyonnax at home 30-25 in January, so maybe Oyonnax have a gnat's cock of an advantage!

However, my 5 euros is on a Brive v Bayonne final!
You must be an engineer to be using that term of measurement. :smt002 I bet also you dont need to earn too many euros to buy your wine, it takes a lot more here. :smt030 Bon Nuit.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests