LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by RagingBull »

I'm on about 3 years project to try and get to a competing in Europe level.
My expectations next season is top 6 and I expect this squad to be able to do so.

Bristol didn't say anything about 3 year project but Pat Lam got to build his squad from the off.
Also this is year 2 of Lam squad, next season will be the third sooooo.

Don't get me wrong I know the only reason Cohen is saying it is because he wants a smokescreen.
But it is a reality rebuilding a squad with no free cap available is a longer process because of the stupid mistakes from those above.

This off season
Strengthen the squad depth, bring in a DOR maybe a couple of his assistant coaches aim for Top 6.
Build from that with the big ticket players coming to an end.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:19 pm If Genge goes at the end of next season, and it I shall still if, I can see his destination being Exeter.
He is good mates with Nowell and Slade, holidaying in Dubai with them, easy drive to Bristol, successful team, and playing wise he is a step up on Hepburn, and could share the workload with Moon
Baxter lamented how close they were to the gap when it emerged they were losing Cordero and Lawday. Exeter would have to shift some serious cap space in order to sign Genge. Swapping him in for Hepburn isn't going to do it.
sapajo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 am After 5 seasons of totally inept recruitment it strikes me that as supporters our expectations are very low. I fear that whilst our competitors sign serious talent that we will continue to get left behind. I still question looking at our announced new signings if we truly are actually spending up to the cap.
Recruitment hasn't been effective but at the same time it's tough to build a coherent squad when the top man and the game plan keeps changing. Mauger wanted a more mobile squad that would move the ball across the pitch which was different to Cockers who liked set piece orientated forwards and tactically strong backs. MOC wanted the biggest players he could find to try and physically bully teams which is far from what Mauger was asking for. Now Geordie is in charge and he seems to have gone after mobile physicality and tenacity.

Building a squad takes more than one year, contracts can't always just be cancelled and can't always be bought out. When the goalposts keep moving it's back to the drawing board each year and start again.

Last summer was actually pretty good with Denton and Thompson the kind of signings we needed up front.
jaguar
Tiger Cub

Post by jaguar »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:35 pm
Mark62 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:19 pm If Genge goes at the end of next season, and it I shall still if, I can see his destination being Exeter.
He is good mates with Nowell and Slade, holidaying in Dubai with them, easy drive to Bristol, successful team, and playing wise he is a step up on Hepburn, and could share the workload with Moon
Baxter lamented how close they were to the gap when it emerged they were losing Cordero and Lawday. Exeter would have to shift some serious cap space in order to sign Genge. Swapping him in for Hepburn isn't going to do it.
sapajo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 am After 5 seasons of totally inept recruitment it strikes me that as supporters our expectations are very low. I fear that whilst our competitors sign serious talent that we will continue to get left behind. I still question looking at our announced new signings if we truly are actually spending up to the cap.
Recruitment hasn't been effective but at the same time it's tough to build a coherent squad when the top man and the game plan keeps changing. Mauger wanted a more mobile squad that would move the ball across the pitch which was different to Cockers who liked set piece orientated forwards and tactically strong backs. MOC wanted the biggest players he could find to try and physically bully teams which is far from what Mauger was asking for. Now Geordie is in charge and he seems to have gone after mobile physicality and tenacity.

Building a squad takes more than one year, contracts can't always just be cancelled and can't always be bought out. When the goalposts keep moving it's back to the drawing board each year and start again.

Last summer was actually pretty good with Denton and Thompson the kind of signings we needed up front.
Also Spencer an excellent addition hope we can keep him
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 pm If he went to Chiefs i would permanently erase him from my memory of ever being a Tiger,that would be unforgivable!!!
Have you done that with Salvi and Parling too
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No but I didn't hate Chiefs then :smt005 some fans talk about how our fans behaved when we were on top but my God Chiefs fans now are way worse than we ever were! That little bit of success has definitely changed them for the worse
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

drc_007 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:26 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:21 pm Oh the old 3 year project excuse! Didnt hear Bristol say that upon promotion or Quins who are losing an incredible amount of players. Every GP club is in constant transition,some more than others granted,but it's the nature of the beast,I'm sick of excuses tbh!
Agreed it should be a continuous process, but in the current situation it probably will be 3 years before Tigers will be able to challenge the top teams again.

Whilst the idea of the academy producing a conveyor belt of talent is attractive, is there anything stopping the top academy talent moving to a currently more successful club? The problem of retaining young developing talent in a moribund club must be a challenge.
Every Club is vulnerable in terms of other clubs poaching players who are just outside the matchday 15/23 where the 'poacher' is looking to put the player into their starting XV. There's usually a pretty significant gap in salary between top tier and squad players.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’s a long road back but hopefully we’ve past the bottom now, I suppose we will see as to whether that is true next season.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

TTRITH wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:46 am
kpj tiger wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:33 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:30 am Lam putting the feelers out for Genge , bit disrespectful when he's still under contract although I haven't saw the interview so could be taking it out of context,I'm just going on the headline. Let's cherish him because this will most likely his last season with us!
He just said he'd be the kinda guy he wants back at the team because he's local but also said he's not sure if they could fit him into the cap
Sounded like a conversation had been had. Bristol will be stupid not to be in for him. I cant imagine how we'll convince him to stay unfortunately.
Ugo Monye was stirring things up. They played back the interview with Ellis from earlier on in the year when he was asked if he ever saw himself back at Bristol and he said yes. He then clarified by saying (approx) "at the end of my playing career, rather than France, I could see myself at Bristol". People seem to ignore the bit "at the end...". Doesn't mean he will necessarily stay at Tigers, but I doubt that he has Bristol on his radar quite yet. He left to get away from problems with "friends".

And Pat Lam, being deliberately backed into a corner by Ugo, was very diplomatic in his answers.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm on Liebenberg watch,Bulls just scored. Rebels had 100% for the first 8 minutes!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

In a nutshell, I am more concerned with what coaches are coming in ( if any ), than I am about players.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Me too D4! It's a very competitive squad we are building,but at present the coaching staff are nowhere near good enough. Two top additions needed minimum!
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:40 pm In a nutshell, I am more concerned with what coaches are coming in ( if any ), than I am about players.
+1
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:21 pm Oh the old 3 year project excuse! Didnt hear Bristol say that upon promotion or Quins who are losing an incredible amount of players. Every GP club is in constant transition,some more than others granted,but it's the nature of the beast,I'm sick of excuses tbh!
Agreed it should be a continuous process, but in the current situation it probably will be 3 years before Tigers will be able to challenge the top teams again.

Whilst the idea of the academy producing a conveyor belt of talent is attractive, is there anything stopping the top academy talent moving to a currently more successful club? The problem of retaining young developing talent in a moribund club must be a challenge.
It is to so much about the top academy players leaving; the past few years it has been they have been got rid of on the pretext that they are not good enough only to prove that with a bit of patience and nurturing they do come good?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

TigerCam wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:03 pm

It is to so much about the top academy players leaving; the past few years it has been they have been got rid of on the pretext that they are not good enough only to prove that with a bit of patience and nurturing they do come good?
Completely agree with this. Look at Sarries - stopped the revolving door and replace with an elevator to build young talent from junior right through the age groups to 1st team. And only using the revolving door to buy time for the talent to come through. The result is players who play alongside their mates for them and top level players who, I assume, are attracted by success. What’s impressive about Sarries is not just the first team but the emerging talent behind them. Sadly, this is not new - it’s what we used to do!!!!!!!! And we have the young talent to do it again. One of the few positives this season has been GM giving the youngsters invaluable first XV experience.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It's about backing the right talent.
Saracens let many young players go every year.