LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Systonite »

Liebenberg about to start at 7 for the Bulls away at the Blues. 8-35 on Sky.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Systonite wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:02 am Liebenberg about to start at 7 for the Bulls away at the Blues. 8-35 on Sky.
7 is blindside in South Africa he has been starting there with Vermulanat 8
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:33 am
Systonite wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:02 am Liebenberg about to start at 7 for the Bulls away at the Blues. 8-35 on Sky.
7 is blindside in South Africa he has been starting there with Vermulanat 8
Vermulan out injured but Liebenburg remains on the flank Vs Blues. He's grabbed a try linking with Snyman. That Bulls team should be doing a lot better when you see the pack they have on paper.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Newcastle fans saying they’re going to sorely miss Green, saying he’s been their best lock the last two seasons and is never injured.

Lavanini and Spencer can mix it with the best pairing in the league but we can expect injuries etc. Wells and Green both big guys but feel they’ll have to up their games as they’ll be needed start of season.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Re: Coghlan, judging by comments between himself and former Tiger (and now new Wasps Academy coach) Matt Everard on Twitter, seems to confirm he'll be playing GP rugby next season. Expect him to be in the next list of announcements. Personally, never seen him play so can't pass any judgement on quality etc.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:51 pm I meant fast tracking him in the sense of making him our second choice 7 instead of buying one. He performed well but was always behind Thompson,BoC and the occasional 6 who was played there! Is he ready to be that player? Say for instance,God forbid, there's an early long term injury to Guy and he's our first choice 7,is it too soon?

I totally agree with you Scott1. You have given all the right reasons. :smt023
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:26 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:51 pm I meant fast tracking him in the sense of making him our second choice 7 instead of buying one. He performed well but was always behind Thompson,BoC and the occasional 6 who was played there! Is he ready to be that player? Say for instance,God forbid, there's an early long term injury to Guy and he's our first choice 7,is it too soon?
Most teams only have around 6-7 backrowers in a squad. If the coaching team think Reffell is ready then it would be stupid to spend more money on an openside for the sake of it.

Maybe we’ll only be expecting 2 more signings in the pack, Coghlan and Liebenberg. Assuming we put more faith in the academy players.
I would expect three. If things go pear shaped injury wise, we will some more proven experience in there.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:37 pm I hope and pray Denton makes it,a BR of Taufua,Thompson,Denton looks superb!
That would be pretty awesome. I really hope Denton will be fit and willing to play.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:18 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:53 pm It's crazy lol.Denton is a very good carrier and superb lineout option,he's very good off kick return and strong off the base. Your 6 should be in double figures comfortably for carries,tackles and rucks hit every game,that's not Denton. From speaking to Bath fans,Scotland fans and fans in general this is the only site that sees him as a blindside flanker,for me hes an 8 all day who can play 6. I just don't see what everyone on here is seeing but hey ho.
But then again you thing Kalamafoni should be a 6 even he’s played over 90% of his club and test rugby at 8.

Just because that’s what it says in a coaching manual that’s what a position does, doesn’t mean they have to do it.

For what it’s worth, if all rumoured signings are to be believed, I think our back row next season will be picked from Denton, Taufua, Thompson, Coughlan, Liebenberg and Kalamafoni, dependent on fitness and opposition.
Imo we need another versatile back rower, to cover for injuries etc.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:49 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:37 pm I hope and pray Denton makes it,a BR of Taufua,Thompson,Denton looks superb!
That would be pretty awesome. I really hope Denton will be fit and willing to play.
I really wouldn't get your hopes up.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Gareth Evans signed for Ospreys after leaving Gloucester. He's a good player so expect him to do well there.

I'd happily take Henry Purdy back at Tigers if he is leaving Gloucester as well.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:46 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:49 pm
I really wouldn't get your hopes up.
I find comments like that from Strawcleaner really frustrating.
I don’t doubt that he knows someone who knows someone, and that what he has been told is accurate, but it’s almost like he’s saying Look at me I know something you guys don’t.
I’m sure he can post a little more than I really wouldn’t get your hopes up, without betraying any confidences
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

He could be just quoting a recent April piece on Denton that says he might not play again Mark.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Scott1 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:27 pm He could be just quoting a recent April piece on Denton that says he might not play again Mark.
Several of us spoke with Dave Denton after the Tigers v Bath game and he was really positive that he would make a recovery. He was getting treated in London by the top people and he really could not understand how that relatively small knock at Twickenham V Saints could have ruled him out all season.
How many other players receiving similar small knocks are still playing unaware of the effects?
Dave was very open about his problem and really wanted to get back on the field but the decision was with the medics but he assured us that he was having the best treatment and support from Tigers.
He has two more years at Tigers and we all really hope he recovers during the summer months.. :smt023
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jantjes could be leaving Lions after disagreement with team mates,contract is up anyway end of season. As is Mapoes.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer