LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by sam16111986 »

Knightonian wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:28 pm Whilst AWJ could be a great signing (time will tell) is he a role we need if we now have the Argentinian lock, Spencer & Green.

Whilst he might be the best out of all of them would he be better than a world class 8?
We'll get Liebenburg but after that I doubt we'll see another 8. Even if Denton goes then with Kalamafoni and Liebenburg we'd be suitably stocked.

If we are looking at AWJ I doubt we'll be breaking the bank because he's going to miss a good chunk of the season.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Knightonian wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:28 pm Whilst AWJ could be a great signing (time will tell) is he a role we need if we now have the Argentinian lock, Spencer & Green.

Whilst he might be the best out of all of them would he be better than a world class 8?
Are there any world class 8s available?

Billy V, Faletau, Isa, Picamoles, Read, Mata, Vermuelen, Stander are all in contract. Most would also cost more than any player in the current squad bar possibly Manu.

Hughes has gone to Bristol for circa £500k a season. Personally I wouldn't say he's worth that salary. Dangerous ball carrier but not worth that at all.

Only forward who's available for next season who I'd want Tigers to spend that sort of money on would be Pocock. Even then there is a huge question mark over how much rugby Pocock has left in him, sadly.

I think Liebenberg could be a shrewd signing. Very good all round player, good leader and young enough to have plenty of room for improvement.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

AWJ isn't the greatest individual rugby player that you'll ever see but he sure can lead a team.
Whether he'd be a great signing though remains to be seen as the temptation to play more locks at blindside might continue for a side that has had more holes than a teabag in it's defence.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Stander for me has not been world class for a while. But you are correct in terms of availability, we’ve already made our star back row signing in Taufua, we need someone with potential or at least just a big unit.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Even though they were soundly beaten the Georgia U20's look to have some serious units in their side including a lad that can play prop or lock!

Fiji U20's are supposed to have some talented youngsters too
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

BFG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 pm AWJ isn't the greatest individual rugby player that you'll ever see but he sure can lead a team.
Whether he'd be a great signing though remains to be seen as the temptation to play more locks at blindside might continue for a side that has had more holes than a teabag in it's defence.
Only senior lock in contract for next season who can cover blindside is Wells so hopefully that era is over.

There's talk of Sam Lewis moving to blindside more permanently but at 21 and with many feeling it could be his best position going forward that is a rather different story. I'd really like to see Lewis stick to blindside. He's got a good offloading game out the tackle and he could be a weapon as a 3rd lineout jumper.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:12 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 pm AWJ isn't the greatest individual rugby player that you'll ever see but he sure can lead a team.
Only senior lock in contract for next season who can cover blindside is Wells so hopefully that era is over.

There's talk of Sam Lewis moving to blindside more permanently but at 21 and with many feeling it could be his best position going forward that is a rather different story. I'd really like to see Lewis stick to blindside. He's got a good offloading game out the tackle and he could be a weapon as a 3rd lineout jumper.
Lewis is also very quick. Be an blindside that can cover a lot of ground.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Not sure about Lewis at blindside, not really seen a huge amount for a while.
Hasn't looked like a bruiser from what I have seen and no idea if he has the alternative natural talent of a Croft, it'd be nice to find out as I'm still quite surprised an opportunity wasn't gained over what was selected week after week last season, and if he is a really good player.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Not sure about Lewis at blindside, not really seen a huge amount for a while.
Hasn't looked like a bruiser from what I have seen and no idea if he has the alternative natural talent of a Croft, it'd be nice to find out as I'm still quite surprised an opportunity wasn't gained over what was selected week after week last season if he is a good player.
From what little I saw of him he looked like he has the right mentality in that he was aggressive and looked to compete for everything without doing stupid things and getting penalised. He's not matured physically as quick as some of the other young players. The sleeves on his shirt were loose and flapping earlier in the season. Might be a bit of a late developer as he fills out and grows into his frame. He was enough of a bruiser to play lock at age grade level so should be ok though it might take a little longer.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Must be about pushing 22 this year, doubt he'll suddenly fill out now without an everyday pass to Mr Kipling, that'd test the legs some.
If he is genuinely quick then back the horse and don't make it lame, in my opinion.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Just turned 21 in April.

He's a quick lad for a forward of his size, and did play wing before being moved.
https://youtu.be/ToF8GNczc-c?t=12

Shows his speed here.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:42 pm Just turned 21 in April.

He's a quick lad for a forward of his size, and did play wing before being moved.
https://youtu.be/ToF8GNczc-c?t=12

Shows his speed here.
Well in my opinion you back it then, not seen much myself but I am sort of surprised it hasn't already been backed given how bad last season was!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

[quote=maire88 post_id=720013 time=1559422372 user_id=11388]
[quote=Leicestertinytiger post_id=719839 time=1559249576 user_id=12366]
Have we 100% signed Coghlan? Because I can’t imagine us bringing in him as well as Wallace. Surely it would one or the other?
[/quote]

Yes Coghlan has 100% signed.
[/quote]

When asked at the Supporters Forum if he has signed the answer was he is not a Tigers player.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:17 pm
maire88 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:52 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:52 pm Have we 100% signed Coghlan? Because I can’t imagine us bringing in him as well as Wallace. Surely it would one or the other?
Yes Coghlan has 100% signed.
When asked at the Supporters Forum if he has signed the answer was he is not a Tigers player.
Could be a very cleverly chosen answer. At the time of the supporters forum, Coughlan wasn’t a Tigers player. He isn’t one until his contract starts.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Talking of Sams, Harrison seems to be enjoying Queensland.