LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

speedski wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:52 am Whilst our signings have been good so far I do get the feeling that we aren't keeping pace with some other clubs who are stretching with the new funding (Sale especially).

Lets hope they do get that list of leavers out before the Bath game (as previously communicated) so we can see what positions will actually need to be filled..
Can’t help but think the same. Obviously Sarries and Exeter too two. Gloucester and Harlequins have played well this season with Saints improving. Now we have Sale, London Irish and Bristol spending big for next season. Where do we fit in with our acquisitions for next season?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Right up there with the right coaching imo,if you can't compete with any pack in this league (which was where we struggled badly) with
Genge
TPN
Cole
Spencer
Lavinini
Taufua
Thompson
Denton

then sadly it's no longer a player issue!

Even a second potential pack of
Bateman
Youngs
Heyes
Wells
Green
Liebenberg
Reffell
Kalamafoni

If our coaches can't do anything with those two potential packs then time to go!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I got the impression Liebenberg is predominately an 8 who has been moved over to 6 because Vermeulen is there. Liam Squire plays 8 for Highlanders but 6 for NZ because Reid is there. Wouldn’t get too hung up on that.
The six shirt is pretty well covered with a few able to play 6 or 8 quite fluidly, but I definitely think there is room for another proper 7 if O’Connor goes, with Reffell moving up and taking up Evans spot in the senior squad.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The salary cap is still in place so extra expenditure can only be on the two marquee players, we just have to be certain we are getting the best value for money and be a little luckier with injuries. We signed Gareth Owen, a quality player, he was probably cheap because of his injury record a little like Matt Tait when we signed him, unlike Matt, Gareth did not overcome his injuries during his time with us so we never saw the best of him. I think developing academy players to fill those places in the squad may be more effective in the long term and probably cheaper until the young player is established.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 pm The salary cap is still in place so extra expenditure can only be on the two marquee players, we just have to be certain we are getting the best value for money and be a little luckier with injuries. We signed Gareth Owen, a quality player, he was probably cheap because of his injury record a little like Matt Tait when we signed him, unlike Matt, Gareth did not overcome his injuries during his time with us so we never saw the best of him. I think developing academy players to fill those places in the squad may be more effective in the long term and probably cheaper until the young player is established.
This hits the nail on the head. In a recent super rugby match the average age of the Crusaders back line was 22, most of not all of whom came through their development process.
Growth has to come from within.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:29 am Liebenberg plays at blindside now Vermuelen is there,he was just covering.
Liebenberg is a number 8, being moved to accomidate Vermuelen. He's also more of a number 8 then Denton, who is a 6/8 IMO.

Liebenberg at 8, with Taufau at 6 and Thomson or Reffell at 7 will be a very, very good back row. Almost as good, and as balanced, as Croft, Moody/Salvi, Crane was.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not for me but respect your opinion. There's no way I'd pick Liebenberg over Denton at 8 if both were available. Our best balanced back row for me is
Taufua,Thompson,Denton.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:58 pm Not for me but respect your opinion. There's no way I'd pick Liebenberg over Denton at 8 if both were available. Our best balanced back row for me is
Taufua,Thompson,Denton.
For me it’s Taufua, Thompson, Liebenberg. Liebenberg has a better all round game from what I’ve seen. Hopefully another openside to come in and balance the options. Still having Kalamafoni and Denton as backup are great options for rotation.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Arguable,Denton is a better lineout option and carries better, Liebenberg does the blindsude stuff better as in tackling,workrate,hitting rucks etc
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:30 pm Arguable,Denton is a better lineout option and carries better, Liebenberg does the blindsude stuff better as in tackling,workrate,hitting rucks etc
Presumably Leibenburg is pretty good at the lineout as he played lock in France and at times in SA. Having captain responsibilities previously would put him ahead at 8 for me. We need leaders in the pack, particularly outside of the front row. I've only seen the highlights reel but Leibenburg likes a big carry on the angle as well.

Choosing two of the three of them with Kalamafoni in reserve will be a nice problem to have (hopefully Denton makes a full recovery).
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:20 pm Right up there with the right coaching imo,if you can't compete with any pack in this league (which was where we struggled badly) with
Genge
TPN
Cole
Spencer
Lavinini
Taufua
Thompson
Denton

then sadly it's no longer a player issue!

Even a second potential pack of
Bateman
Youngs
Heyes
Wells
Green
Liebenberg
Reffell
Kalamafoni

If our coaches can't do anything with those two potential packs then time to go!!!
What? No Kerr. Really Scott!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Oh yeah sorry! Put Kerr in pack A or B
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wow,no love for Denton at all! Short memories for some,he was easily our best lineout option until he was injured and we did start to resemble something that you could finally call a back row too!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:47 pm Wow,no love for Denton at all! Short memories for some,he was easily our best lineout option until he was injured and we did start to resemble something that you could finally call a back row too!
Wouldn’t disagree the loss of him is up there with Veianu.
The worry of course is that he will not return, and that may not be known until the squad are back in full training
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I agree Mark,I rate him that highly. At one stage in his career he was just a carrier who drifted out of games but he's added so much to his game. All going on hoping he's fit and still at his best but he's a guy you just cant leave out for me.