LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

1989Tiger

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by 1989Tiger »

Richardfje wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:32 am I feel like there is genuinely a lot of talent in players who have been released from premiership clubs and are worth buying for us as mostly squad filling type players who add more depth. Players like Paolo Odogwu from Sale, Gaby Lovobalavu from Wasps, Jack Lam from Bristol as the big ball carrying 8 and Dom Coetzer from Glous, a young 10 from SA who would just provide more depth and another option.
I feel like these are all players who wouldn't be too expensive and they'd be worth signing for us.
Thought?
None of those are really good enough to be honest. We released Odogwu a few seasons ago for that reason. He has done nothing since leaving us that suggests we should bring him back.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

1989Tiger wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:16 am
Richardfje wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:32 am I feel like there is genuinely a lot of talent in players who have been released from premiership clubs and are worth buying for us as mostly squad filling type players who add more depth. Players like Paolo Odogwu from Sale, Gaby Lovobalavu from Wasps, Jack Lam from Bristol as the big ball carrying 8 and Dom Coetzer from Glous, a young 10 from SA who would just provide more depth and another option.
I feel like these are all players who wouldn't be too expensive and they'd be worth signing for us.
Thought?
None of those are really good enough to be honest. We released Odogwu a few seasons ago for that reason. He has done nothing since leaving us that suggests we should bring him back.
He left us a few years back because he was't getting enough game time and now if he's willing he may have a bigger place in the squad with us losing Sarto, CB and Tait at the end pf the season. He's still only young and and could grow int a really skilful player and for the other 3, I understand maybe Lovobalavu is slightly unneeded but the other two could fill roles as a big ball carrying number 8 and give us a real back up at 10 because Noel Reid doesn't play their as his first position and our only other option is Hardwick
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

I thought Paolo Odogwu had gone to Wasps as the new Christian Wade?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

happywomble wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:56 am I thought Paolo Odogwu had gone to Wasps as the new Christian Wade?
I hope so, it'd be handy to have someone else leak more tries!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Henry Purdy would be a great signing in my mind, good future replacement for Thompstone on the wing. Can also cover centre at a push.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Richardfje wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:42 am
Thought?
He left us a few years back because he was't getting enough game time and now if he's willing he may have a bigger place in the squad with us losing Sarto, CB and Tait at the end pf the season. He's still only young and and could grow int a really skilful player and for the other 3, I understand maybe Lovobalavu is slightly unneeded but the other two could fill roles as a big ball carrying number 8 and give us a real back up at 10 because Noel Reid doesn't play their as his first position and our only other option is Hardwick
Please do not forget that Sarto & Clayton Bojangles were injury replacements not permanent squad members. Odogwu would do nothing to enhance Tigers reformation. I believe that Tom Hardwick given game time will be the No.2 flyhalf replacing Joe Ford and he is homegrown talent too. :smt023
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I don't know the answer but I would think it is very low as to how many players ever leave a club and make a success of their return if they haven't made a success from their move away For us GF is a stunning eg but he was very successful at Bath so wouldn't count. On that basis, I would not be interested in Odogwu.
Hehehehehehehehe
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

A big difference between George Ford who chose to leave to get more Premiership game time and was a success at his next club and Odogwu who was released as it was felt he would not make the standard and who has failed to gain a regular place at Sale and is now released, Paolo would probably benefit from a Championship contract during which he could learn to defend and kick, ball in hand he is good.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

I don't think there's anything wrong in principle with signing players rejected from other teams, including those that are ex-Tigers players. The issue is how they fill gaps in our squad and whether they would be willing to do so.

So someone like Henry Purdy makes sense - he is a senior, experienced centre/winger who would sit at second choice and offer good competition. This would also mean we don't over expose players like gilliland or browning before they're ready. Someone like Odogwu doesn't make as much sense. He'd be coming back basically in the same position he left. He'd be behind SAR and Olowofela (and May/Thompstone/Holmes), but isn't obviously significantly stronger or more experienced than the development players. He also doesn't offer much versatility. I think he's a good player, but not sure what we'd achieve bringing him back.
Never believe generalisations
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Thought?
At the time we released Odogwu they made it very clear through the Mercury it was due to attitude and financial demands

The fact that Sale have released him would imply that either he didn’t make it or that maybe they were right
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Purdy if he is available would be a great option as can cover wing and 13 too

Odogwu should be playing in the championship if not lower
castrofan
Tiger Cub

Post by castrofan »

Paolo Odogwu had a bad shoulder injury while at Sale so was out for a massive part of the season.... As they have a glut of wingers , Ashton, Marlon Yarde etc his chances have been sadly limited... He is moving on to another Premiership club... and from what I know of him, he is a lovely young man .
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:09 pm

Please do not forget that Sarto & Clayton Bojangles were injury replacements not permanent squad members. Odogwu would do nothing to enhance Tigers reformation. I believe that Tom Hardwick given game time will be the No.2 flyhalf replacing Joe Ford and he is homegrown talent too. :smt023
Hardwick will be a fine player but I believe next season will be a little beyond him. He needs a couple more years yet. Don't forget the dreadful season we have just had, and I would be far happier with a seasoned player at 10, as we attempt to recover from it, and re-establish ourselves in the Premiership.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Mark62 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:20 pm Purdy if he is available would be a great option as can cover wing and 13 too

Odogwu should be playing in the championship if not lower
Like at Sale FC.

Lovely man or not, he’s not a Premiership squad member, certainly not for a team with top 4 ambitions.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

What happened to popcorn Monday anyway? Any whispers?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer