LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:38 pm Lovely rumours to log on to there! Jantjies would be a massive upgrade on J Ford and conceivably within our price range if we're paying right up to the cap. I don't know a lot about Mapoe but from his highlight reel he looks like a solidly built winger/centre with some decent finishing skills.
Wonder if there is any truth in these rumours. Surely if Mapoe was signed he would be viewed as more winger than centre. Obviously a back up 10 wouldn’t go amiss too.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:12 am
CitizenSmiff wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:38 pm Lovely rumours to log on to there! Jantjies would be a massive upgrade on J Ford and conceivably within our price range if we're paying right up to the cap. I don't know a lot about Mapoe but from his highlight reel he looks like a solidly built winger/centre with some decent finishing skills.
Wonder if there is any truth in these rumours. Surely if Mapoe was signed he would be viewed as more winger than centre. Obviously a back up 10 wouldn’t go amiss too.
I really can't see Jantjies coming in as a 2nd choice, that said South Africa isn't a bad place to look for a 2nd 10, somebody like Tian Schoeman probably wouldn't cost much
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Tian Schoeman very much a 'stick it up your jumper' type 10/12 from what I've seen. Really physical. Would worry about his distribution in the GP. Not seen much, if any of Reid - does he cover 10? Or is he an out and out centre?
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:26 am Tian Schoeman very much a 'stick it up your jumper' type 10/12 from what I've seen. Really physical. Would worry about his distribution in the GP. Not seen much, if any of Reid - does he cover 10? Or is he an out and out centre?
I think you need some savvy thinkers either side at 10 and 13 to get away with sticking it up your jumper these days at 12, Barrit has that at Sarries with Faz and Lozowski, but not sure we have that ourselves on the outside? Much prefer a playmaker at 12 myself with a bosher at 13 with savvy wingers.
Last edited by DingDong on Wed May 22, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Might be an odd signing for us. He has played wing and 12 but Mapoe is mainly a 13 and I think that's where he's won the majority (if not all) of his SA caps. I'd have thought they'd be cheaper utility backs available. Younger ones as well.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:07 pm
Might be an odd signing for us. He has played wing and 12 but Mapoe is mainly a 13 and I think that's where he's won the majority (if not all) of his SA caps. I'd have thought they'd be cheaper utility backs available. Younger ones as well.
We all know what thought thought!

Maybe there aren’t younger, cheaper but more importantly, better options available.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

1989Tiger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:16 pm

Maybe there aren’t younger, cheaper but more importantly, better options available.
He's probably going to be an impact sub and if he's not likely to recalled by SA. Unless we're going for a very different looking midfield with Ford/Manu/Mapoe. Would make the signings of Taute, Reid and EWV a bit much.

I just think somewhere else will offer him more money and a starting spot in his preferred 13 shirt. Similar with Jjanties can't see him coming here to sit on the bench behind Ford on squad player money. They'll be teams in Japan and France who'll hand him the 10 shirt and better money.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:50 pm

He's probably going to be an impact sub and if he's not likely to recalled by SA. Unless we're going for a very different looking midfield with Ford/Manu/Mapoe. Would make the signings of Taute, Reid and EWV a bit much.

I just think somewhere else will offer him more money and a starting spot in his preferred 13 shirt. Similar with Jjanties can't see him coming here to sit on the bench behind Ford on squad player money. They'll be teams in Japan and France who'll hand him the 10 shirt and better money.
Spot on! Both way too good to be backups! Unless we go Ford/Jantjes/Manu with Mapoe on wing but I don't fancy that.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Viljoen looks a good find who can also cover wing. Seems a good prospect so I imagine the Mapoe rumour was made up by RIL.

Hopefully any spare money in the cap will be invested in the forwards. Still wouldn’t mind another lock and backrower over any backs.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:02 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Spot on! Both way too good to be backups! Unless we go Ford/Jantjes/Manu with Mapoe on wing but I don't fancy that.
I don’t get it. All season, people have been saying we don’t have good enough back up players to come in when our first choice players are on international duty or injured and now we have people saying these potential signings are too good to be back up players!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Mapoe and Viljoen seem in the same bracket, 13 who could cover wing. Given we already have Reid, Tuilagi, Taute and Eastmond for Centre, how much of the salary cap would you plough into a 5th Centre?
30 year old current/recent Springbok level, or 23 year old Super 15 project player? I think the latter provides sufficient quality of depth.
As for Jantjes, would be a nice option, but again, balancing the budget, is it viable within the salary cap?

Priorities remain, in my opinion, additional back row, and additional back 3.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

As thought other South Africans the rand is weak a team the moment so players may not be as expensive as we think
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Didn't he promise us some signings for last Monday? Hence nothing coming through!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It makes more sense for the announcement to be next Monday, I never heard Murphy make such a proclamation, it was RB!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’ve just seen Ofisa Treviranus has been released from London Irish (this is old news), he’s 35 so we would probably only get a season out of him but I think he would be a good, experienced addition to our backrow and shouldn’t be pricy either.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni