LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Ellis Genge

Post by Scott1 »

Source please? Because if Lam is trying to unsettle Ellis and has actually stated that he wants him before his contract is up then he should be severely reprimanded,this isn't football!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I’m assuming this in reference to Pat on Rugby Tonight and it was nothing at all like an attempt, effort or approach.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes that's what im led the believe too anz
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Does this really needs it's own thread.
It's not even correct.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:35 pm Does this really needs it's own thread.
It's not even correct.
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Here’s one of the other problems for me, people keep saying the pack at 4-8 is already stronger if the 'new recruits' (announced and unannounced) come.

Granted the pack will be better next season than this season, but so will much of the opposition packs. So probably the same problems will persist and we’ll struggle to get front foot ball. People keep saying Sale, Bristol and London Irish have overpaid for forwards and maybe they have, but the fact is they’ll be able to put out a formidable set of forwards.

Jealous that LI got Coleman, he’s a great player. For me we still need a top class lock and another backrower. Wallace would do for me if he could reach the standard he was pre-injury. On the lock front I’ve no idea who is still available.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sapajo wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:40 am Seriously all this talk about taking 3 years to getting back to the top of English rugby. If we persist with Murphy that is massively optimistic whereas appoint a world class DOR now who knows what his is doing and it shall happen quicker!
Was Mark McCall a world class DoR when appointed by Sarries? Was Leo Cullen at Leinster? How did it work out last time we recruited someone regarded as one of the best DoRs in the world?

This forum’s getting as ridiculous as the Facebook group.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

fortysix wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:45 pm Dont believe this cap space :censored:, its about getting out there and identifying Saffas who would fit seamlessly into our team, and BUY THEM !!!
They are in the main dirt cheap, as the Rand is woeful. Tigers need someone out there as a recruiter asap. If they have one already, then he is utterly useless.
I'd rather have De Jager over Tuilagi any day.
If you think De Jager is worth that much I'm glad you don't control the purse strings
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:08 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:40 am Seriously all this talk about taking 3 years to getting back to the top of English rugby. If we persist with Murphy that is massively optimistic whereas appoint a world class DOR now who knows what his is doing and it shall happen quicker!
Was Mark McCall a world class DoR when appointed by Sarries? Was Leo Cullen at Leinster? How did it work out last time we recruited someone regarded as one of the best DoRs in the world?

Well a simple answer to the McCall question is as follows. Look at his CV. he was far more experienced as a coach than Murphy was when he was appointed by Saracens. That was not my point. To argue that the coaching set up at Tigers has been chaotic and of poor quality, is hardly a contentious thing to write. Pick any match statistic you want to or just the league table position. Of course you can pick people without much experience as Head Coach and it can work. In much the same way that women can give birth on a park bench or a kitchen table. It's just not considered to be best practice. I actually think we need to stick with Murphy and take a view at the end of next season. But an inexperienced coach needs to be underpinned with a much stronger team around him.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

McCall was head coach at Sarries under Venter having had prior experience at Ulster and Castres. When Venter left he was given the promotion to DOR.

Cullen is a more direct comparison. It's worth noting it took some time for him to undo the mess left by MOC. Lancaster was a valuable appointment and the club only had to look back two years to when they were last top quality. Geordie doesn't have that recent history to draw on it's been years since Tigers were considered one of the best.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Really? You are over reacting, to a logical post. What utter nonsense! :smt018
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Traveller wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:11 pm I am more positive about the forthcoming season than some. The problems have been well documented. A set of backs about as good as anyones. An underpowered pack from 4-8. Zero 'escalator' building with talented academy graduates. Next year the backs will have better balance and depth. The pack at 4-8 is already stronger if the 'new recruits' (announced and unannounced) come.

The issue now is the quality of coaching. Even a Saracens XV would not be the smooth machine it is today if those players had to work through a Southern Hemisphere coach being appointed to work alongside Mark McCall (both coaches having different visions on how the game should be played). Fire McCall and ask SH coach to act as interim. Don't appoint interim. Conduct worldwide search and decide the preferred option is coach MOC who had been at the club before and who had been fired two year into his first Head Coach's role. Decide not to appoint a forwards coach. Appoint four defence coaches and an attack coach and fire all of them in six years. Fire MOC on first day of season because he forgets to organise a pre-season, appoint a skills coach on an interim basis as HC. On the basis of a played 9 lost 8 record confirm the appointment of interim. Appoint defence coach because "he lives locally, is available, and knows the club because he's worked here before", and when relegation threatens bring in a consultant coach (the fly half's dad) with five games to go.

Would Saracens be European champions with that coaching record?

There is no reason why the Tigers team of 2019-2020 with competent coaching should not be competing with Gloucester next year. Their 2019-2020 squad is no better than Tigers. It just requires first class coaching. That is if Tigers are a first class club.

The perplexing thing is that on the Tigers website the opening phrase reads as follows: Leicester Tigers are one of the WORLD'S - note WORLDS - most famous rugby union clubs.' Yet the board believe that the club will be successful with a mix of novice, apprentice or at best second rate coaches. A wise man once told me 'life is all about expectations........'
I completely agree with you. Sarries success came when they recruited a number of South Africans, who dominated on the field.

Sale are in for a great season, and will I believe be in the top four.

My prediction for next season;

Saracens
Sale
Gloucester
Exeter

Tigers - 9th
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I'm predicting Bath and Worcester to really struggle, London Irish to survive, Northampton to slightly go down the table (I believe weaknesses in their pack will be exposed by teams next season), Exeter could really struggle next year as will Saracens but I think they will recover. It's really difficult to predict where we will be next season, but target should really be Top 6.

1 Saracens
2 Gloucester
3 Harlequins
4 Exeter
5 Sale
6 Northampton
7 Bristol
8 Leicester
9 Wasps
10 Bath
11 London Irish
12 Worcester
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

No excuse for not making top six if we appoint a world class DOR. Boyd did it at Saints within a season. Ackermann 2 seasons at Glos. The appointment of Murphy is frankly utterly ludicrous and Cohen now trying to defend it under the guise of stability shows just how clueless he and the BOD truly are! Pay the big bucks for the best coach and reap the rewards or just sit back and let the rot fester . It really is that simple but sadly, I am not holding my breath.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Bok press saying Liebenberg has signed.