LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Locked
JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3587
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by JP14 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Such a shame that Tuilagi and Blommitijies are off, the latter seemed to really get on with the squad. Maybe this was only ever a loan thing, I mean South Wales isn’t that much better than Leicester imo! Maybe they found him too erratic? I have no clue...
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Jimmy Skitz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1485
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: Thurnby Lodge

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Jimmy Skitz » Wed May 15, 2019 3:32 pm

CitizenSmiff wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:05 pm
Goodbye and good luck lads, hope you all land on your feet. Blommetjies is an interesting one, thought he did OK in his brief stay with us, definitely good enough for cheap back three cover.
loan signing though and has time on his contract so was never going to stay

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3587
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by JP14 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:34 pm

Do people think Blommitijies will return?
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5849
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:53 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Darc Tiger » Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Even with the players expected to come in, it does seem like we'll put a fair bit of faith in our younger players to fill the gaps.

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6598
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by jgriffin » Wed May 15, 2019 3:40 pm

JP14 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:34 pm
Do people think Blommitijies will return?
If the Scarlets/Ospreys merger joke had occurred he'd have been a steal for pennies
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

WirralExile
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 5:39 pm
Location: Houghton-on-the-Hill (ex-Wirral)

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by WirralExile » Wed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm

Bungle178 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:12 pm
19 players have just been confirmed as leaving, according to the club website:

Matt Smith
Mat Tait
Matt Toomua
Graham Kitchener
Mike Williams
Will Evans
Brendan O'Connor
Valentino Mapapalangi
Joe Ford
Fred Tuilagi
Charlie Thacker
Gareth Owen
Mike Fitzgerald
Campese Ma'afu
David Feao
Ross McMillan
Harry Mahoney
Leonardo Sarto
Clayton Blommetjies

Getting rid of a lot of dead weight from the looks of it.
If you're going to be at the Bath game on Saturday, if you happen to see any of the named players, be sure to let them know what you think of them.
I will be wishing them good luck for the future.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: Staffs

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by FrontRowUnionMember » Wed May 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Little surprised at Feao, thought he’d stay and Cortes may well move on. Likewise expected Hills to make way with Grahamslaw apparently so highly rated.
Elsewhere no great surprises, half expected Blommetjies to join up, but since he’s on loan, he’d be released/returned officially. Doesn’t rule out him coming back.
Looking at the remains of that squad, still more depth needed in the back row, plus at ten maybe, and back three most definitely.
Guess there will be more to come in.

trendylfj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:16 am
Location: MARKET HARBOROUGH

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by trendylfj » Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm

Wow - that is a clear out and a half - there must be quite a few signings to come in the next few days I hope. There must be quite an amount of space in the salary cap to spend and we are certainly light in terms of cover during internationals or injury. Could be some exciting days to come.
Hehehehehehehehe

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2346
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by LE18 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:52 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:01 pm
Possibly.
Also wouldn't read Denton not being confirmed as off as anything yet, could be waiting for insurance to clear if that is true, or he might be fine same with Stevens.

Anyway currently leaves the squad as for next season.
1. Genge, Bateman, Gigena, Hills,
2. Kerr, Polota-Nau, Polota-Nau, Clare, Stevens (?)
3. Cole, Leatigaga, Heyes,
4. Spencer, Green, Jordan
5. Lavanini, Wells, Lewis
6. Taufua, Denton (?), Coghlan (?)
7. Thompson, Reffell
8. Kalamfoni, Liebenberg (?)
9. Youngs, Harrison, White, Simmons
10. Ford, Hardwick
11. May, Thompstone
12. Reid, Eastmond,
13. Tuilagi, Taute, Viljoen (?)
14. Holmes, Olowofela
15. Veainu. Worth

Expect a few more signings.
RB, where's Tom Youngs? Does PN have a twin?

Tigerbeat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5105
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: The big wide world

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Tigerbeat » Wed May 15, 2019 4:56 pm

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2555
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Scott1 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Denton 6 RB?? I know the vast majority have been in that camp on this thread but he's a better 8 every day of the week and twice on a Sunday,no wonder our BR continues to be unbalanced if our coaching team feel the same!

1989Tiger
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by 1989Tiger » Wed May 15, 2019 5:27 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:01 pm
Possibly.
Also wouldn't read Denton not being confirmed as off as anything yet, could be waiting for insurance to clear if that is true, or he might be fine same with Stevens.

Anyway currently leaves the squad as for next season.
1. Genge, Bateman, Gigena, Hills,
2. Kerr, Polota-Nau, Polota-Nau, Clare, Stevens (?)
3. Cole, Leatigaga, Heyes,
4. Spencer, Green, Jordan
5. Lavanini, Wells, Lewis
6. Taufua, Denton (?), Coghlan (?)
7. Thompson, Reffell
8. Kalamfoni, Liebenberg (?)
9. Youngs, Harrison, White, Simmons
10. Ford, Hardwick
11. May, Thompstone
12. Reid, Eastmond,
13. Tuilagi, Taute, Viljoen (?)
14. Holmes, Olowofela
15. Veainu. Worth

Expect a few more signings.
Even for someone as positive as me, we need to be bringing in quite a few players or it’s going to be a long season next season.

I’m all for giving academy players some game time but they need to be able to slot into a side that needs to be aiming for top 6. If they aren’t at that level yet, then we need to send them out on loan to improve.

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2837
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:48 am
Location: In the office pretending to work

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by POSTIGER » Wed May 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Bungle178 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:12 pm
19 players have just been confirmed as leaving, according to the club website:

Matt Smith
Mat Tait
Matt Toomua
Graham Kitchener
Mike Williams
Will Evans
Brendan O'Connor
Valentino Mapapalangi
Joe Ford
Fred Tuilagi
Charlie Thacker
Gareth Owen
Mike Fitzgerald
Campese Ma'afu
David Feao
Ross McMillan
Harry Mahoney
Leonardo Sarto
Clayton Blommetjies

Getting rid of a lot of dead weight from the looks of it.
That's quite a list. No massive losses there but there's an awful lot of back row options on that list. I'm intrigued to see who replaces them. Clearing out 19 players, you'd expect at least half that number to come in. The squad lacked depth as it was. I'm all for giving youth it's chance but all at once? Risky.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2189
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by Mark62 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Looking at RBS list there is a maximum of one development player in any one position, none in some.
Agree some strengthening required but the beauty of next season is that the earlier running of the premiership cup means players can be tried out at a competitive level.

With regard to back row selection I would rather leave the selection of players in the correct position to national and club coaches who are paid the big bucks to make these decisions.
Khalamafoni has been selected for the vast majority of his games at 8 and Denton for the vast majority at 6, see no reason to change this at present

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3132
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 7

Post by sam16111986 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 pm

FrontRowUnionMember wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:17 pm
Little surprised at Feao, thought he’d stay and Cortes may well move on. Likewise expected Hills to make way with Grahamslaw apparently so highly rated.
Elsewhere no great surprises, half expected Blommetjies to join up, but since he’s on loan, he’d be released/returned officially. Doesn’t rule out him coming back.
Looking at the remains of that squad, still more depth needed in the back row, plus at ten maybe, and back three most definitely.
Guess there will be more to come in.
Be interesting to see if we sign another 10, we've got two talented players coming through in Hardwick and Costelow and both Reid and Worth can step in at 10.

Think we need a back three player, a wing/fullback option or a PI bruiser by preference. With Fred Tuilagi, Fitzgerald and BOC all confirmed as not staying we'll need another backrower to help cover.

We certainly should have some cap to play with.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leicestertinytiger, TigerCam and 2 guests