Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Post by Brutus »

We massively missed Veainu this year through injury, I genuinely believe he is world class at FB. We have lacked clarity in the game plan (assuming there was one) and the 2nd row and back row have been light due to injury and lack of depth. I'm very excited about some of the signings, particularly Lavanini and Taufua - those two are game changers and seeing Lavanini and Spencer line up together in the engine room is a pretty tasty prospect!
Although TPN seems like a great chap I wish we had kept Thacker - some might say that hindsight is a wonderful thing but there were a large number of us who could see his success at Bristol coming. Especially when OTY was out I would rather have had him and Kerr to choose from, although with Kerr kicking on well I see that as less of a problem next season.

For me though, the biggest loss that undoubtedly made all of the difference between us getting a home semifinal and finishing in 11th is the absence for large parts of Bateman. He's so good in every position on the pitch that if he was born in Auckland he would be picked ahead of any of the current crop of All Blacks in all of their respective positions. The footwork, the athleticism and the majestic demeanour make him the epitome of the modern all round rugby player.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Brutus wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:54 pm We massively missed Veainu this year through injury, I genuinely believe he is world class at FB. We have lacked clarity in the game plan (assuming there was one) and the 2nd row and back row have been light due to injury and lack of depth. I'm very excited about some of the signings, particularly Lavanini and Taufua - those two are game changers and seeing Lavanini and Spencer line up together in the engine room is a pretty tasty prospect!
Although TPN seems like a great chap I wish we had kept Thacker - some might say that hindsight is a wonderful thing but there were a large number of us who could see his success at Bristol coming. Especially when OTY was out I would rather have had him and Kerr to choose from, although with Kerr kicking on well I see that as less of a problem next season.

For me though, the biggest loss that undoubtedly made all of the difference between us getting a home semifinal and finishing in 11th is the absence for large parts of Bateman. He's so good in every position on the pitch that if he was born in Auckland he would be picked ahead of any of the current crop of All Blacks in all of their respective positions. The footwork, the athleticism and the majestic demeanour make him the epitome of the modern all round rugby player.
Agreed in spades........but are you Bateman in disguise?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

Big Dai wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:04 pm
Brutus wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:54 pm We massively missed Veainu this year through injury, I genuinely believe he is world class at FB. We have lacked clarity in the game plan (assuming there was one) and the 2nd row and back row have been light due to injury and lack of depth. I'm very excited about some of the signings, particularly Lavanini and Taufua - those two are game changers and seeing Lavanini and Spencer line up together in the engine room is a pretty tasty prospect!

No, just a fan
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

Brutus wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:07 pm

No, just a fan
I love Batman too, but every position on the pitch? Your tongue must be firmly in your cheek!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I can't really envisage Bateman as a fly half! :smt017
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

As we've no Euro pool games next season, when Tigers office phone me next time (I've had two so far) to remind me I've not yet renewed our STs, I'll be asking if the price is going down by 75 quid each.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

PGD wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:36 pm As we've no Euro pool games next season, when Tigers office phone me next time (I've had two so far) to remind me I've not yet renewed our STs, I'll be asking if the price is going down by 75 quid each.
There will be Euro pool games but in the Challenge Cup....
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Have to agree about Bateman. He is our most talented forward as he has good hands, quick feet ( for a prop ) and knows how to get well over the gainline. With him and Denton missing for most of the season we have struggled to get any other forwards play in the dynamic way that today’s rugby is based upon. Thompson too, can play that way but again has only been fit for a few games. Will Evans is another who can play the offload game but he hasn’t played. Hardwick has the talent but I have heard he is having his attitude “ developed”!
As an aside, London Irish are making some decent signings so with it being World Cup Year Tigers must get the set up right from Academy to fist team .
The Shield must also be something we aim to win not take lightly. Too many thumping s there too which other clubs wouldn’t tolerate.
Every Tigers’ team has to be set up to win.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

tigerssteve wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:40 pm
No, just a fan
I love Batman too, but every position on the pitch? Your tongue must be firmly in your cheek!
Ok, maybe not 9.

I'm not Bateman either.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:14 am

No, just a fan
Ok, maybe not 9.

I'm not Bateman either.

I am Bateman!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

tigerssteve wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:52 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:14 am

Ok, maybe not 9.

I'm not Bateman either.

I am Bateman!
I am Bateman (and so is my wife)
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

The final curtain is coming down next week, and the players will all take a bow, to the sound of massive applause. :smt005
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:39 pm
PGD wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:36 pm As we've no Euro pool games next season, when Tigers office phone me next time (I've had two so far) to remind me I've not yet renewed our STs, I'll be asking if the price is going down by 75 quid each.
The Challenge Cup is a trophy a club like tigers should be ashamed to have in their cabinet. Saracens could be four times Heineken Cup champions next season. Leicester can’t even qualify, so sad.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerS2 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:34 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:39 pm
The Challenge Cup is a trophy a club like tigers should be ashamed to have in their cabinet. Saracens could be four times Heineken Cup champions next season. Leicester can’t even qualify, so sad.
Clubs have got to start from somewhere, your lack of reality is downright shocking!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

If that trophy is good enough for Clermont it is good enough for us. You can only win competitions you are in and any trophy available to us is worth going for especially if it leads on to greater things. So far we have been the only Premiership team never to have competed for the Challenge trophy, lets win it and then make sure we don't have to play for it again.