Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Post by Big Dai »

I agree with comments above on the so called stellar back line. The forwards decide who wins the game and the backs by how many. The squad was out of balance and shallow. IMHO we let too many go who were "just" not internationals. Leaving a choice between novice and nothing when the internationals are away and in even deeper mire when injuries inevitably occur.

I hope for a better balance next year with consistent development of our own talent. I don't believe there will be any quick wins. It's going to be a long road back.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

jgriffin wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:42 pm
BFG wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:06 pm Same old excuses.
If they aren't fit enough then as pro players they aren't committed enough, and judging on some of the defending this season I'd say that's a fair comment.
What does anyone really expect when they sacked Cockerill, too demanding!
Some of this lot don't know what a hard days work is, now they do what they want and it shows.
It's quite obvious given how committed Thompson has played, a player with a completely different level of commitment, a Wasps recruit, how embarrassing!
Yep, Cockers with his no stars, get grafting mentality didn't suit the primadonnas. That edge is what is missing.
I think that's a pretty good, no nonsense, summing up of the season.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I'm not going to bore, as I have stated my thoughts throughout the season. There really is nothing to add. I has just been a dreadful season.

The players we have announced as new arrivals, has generally impressed me, so I look to next season with renewed confidence.

The coaches, well what can I say, other than dire, with the exception of B.S.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Sadly (or should I say luckily!), I only saw three live games this season, but several on t'internet, and what struck me was the lack of true grunt/aggression in the second row and the percentage of missed tackles.
I will, however, get to as many games as I can next season and maybe an away match in the Challenge cup.
Semper in excretia
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Why do people think it will be a long time before Tigers are back where they belong. I tend to agree it will be very hard but look at some of the other teams this year compared to last year.

Quins 5th this year Last year 10th won 7 points 36 Ex Tiger coach
Newcastle Relegated this year Last year 4th won 14 points 63 Ex Tiger coach

Wasps 7th this year. Last year 3rd won 14 points 71

Is this a reflection of the league getting stronger/tighter or money over consistency?

Let's see what Geordon can do in 2020 you never know
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It would be useful next season to actually have a game plan. There has been no sign of one this season!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I agree Ashurst I don't want to get to this stage next season and be saying well he needs another year. If rumours are to be believed we could possibly put this side out during the RWC (please feel free to add anyone or correct me gents)
Bateman
Youngs
Heyes
Spencer
Green
Wallace
Thompson
Kalamafoni
White
Reid
Olowefella
Hardwick
Taute
Thompstone
Worth

Of course Wallace isn't a definite and maybe Walker is coming in as well as other tweaks but with the "right coaching" that is a team that should be able to more than hold it's own during the RWC with almost every other team depleted or at least missing some. The squad wasn't brilliant this season granted but were badly coached imo and underperformed,let's not give Murphy and co too much leaway,he's been here many years and has had a whole season bar one game,I expect tweaks in the preseason and a bit of time to gain momentum but I am absolutely not standing another season like this! If all the rumours materialise it's a very good squad so no excuses!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:12 pm Why do people think it will be a long time before Tigers are back where they belong. I tend to agree it will be very hard but look at some of the other teams this year compared to last year.

Quins 5th this year Last year 10th won 7 points 36 Ex Tiger coach
Newcastle Relegated this year Last year 4th won 14 points 63 Ex Tiger coach

Wasps 7th this year. Last year 3rd won 14 points 71

Is this a reflection of the league getting stronger/tighter or money over consistency?

Let's see what Geordon can do in 2020 you never know
These teams improving is precisely why I think it'll take years to get back to the top, there's more competition now than there ever has been and we've wasted a couple of seasons going backwards. And i'd love to believe he can turn it around I really really would, but I also believe in evidence and he hasn't given us any.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Murphy a genius appointment by the board so he will get way more leeway than another coach would? It's a possibility reading this and other forums as well as talking to fans at times! The love-in has gone for me now,I'm not treating him as the playing legend he is,I'm treating him as the guy in charge of my club Leicester Tigers,I think a lot of people need to start doing the same!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The entire set up at Tigers needs to drastically change. Under Deano, I think it was when we were about to win the Heineken Cup in Paris, there was a photo in the Leicester Mercury of the coaches, players and all the staff that ran the rest of the club, shop, medical team, bar staff, corporate sales team, ticket office and grounds staff. They all aspired to be the very best in the business.
It hasn’t been just the playing side but the whole set up of the club.
The one positive feature; the away support which at Newcastle and Quins got behind the team and showed what Tigers mean to us supporters.
As Cockerill said, “ It is not life and death but red, green and white runs through our blood.”
I hope the club can sort everything out this summer. EVERYTHING.
Huge positive: George Ford- stayed fit, improved kicking and tackling.
Boris’ coaching of the scrum.
Negatives: defence, driving maul and a lack of willingness to offload (Thompson can do it.)
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:42 pm I agree Ashurst I don't want to get to this stage next season and be saying well he needs another year. If rumours are to be believed we could possibly put this side out during the RWC (please feel free to add anyone or correct me gents)
Bateman
Youngs
Heyes
Spencer
Green
Wallace
Thompson
Kalamafoni
White
Reid
Olowefella
Hardwick
Taute
Thompstone
Worth

Of course Wallace isn't a definite and maybe Walker is coming in as well as other tweaks but with the "right coaching" that is a team that should be able to more than hold it's own during the RWC with almost every other team depleted or at least missing some. The squad wasn't brilliant this season granted but were badly coached imo and underperformed,let's not give Murphy and co too much leaway,he's been here many years and has had a whole season bar one game,I expect tweaks in the preseason and a bit of time to gain momentum but I am absolutely not standing another season like this! If all the rumours materialise it's a very good squad so no excuses!
We’ll have Veainu during the World Cup won’t we? I don’t think he plays for Tonga anymore.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

For me:
we've were unlucky with a few key injuries - Veianu, Denton.....and a few other through the season, Thompson, Genge....
World class back line is pointless if they can't play together, or aren't given the right ball.
The pack, apart from at scrum time, is just not good or strong enough.
Lack of strength in depth.

GM really didn't need this at this point in his career, but stepped up when he was asked to. The jury is still out on his coaching but he has a chance to build a squad of his own now, so i'm happy give him a chance.

Next season is gong to be a bit strange at first but the players we've brought in should bridge the gap until the full squad are together. I'm not expecting playoffs next season but do expect to be top 6 again, and it's always tight around that section of the league so who knows we could scrape a play off place if we're in the top 6.

Reset and go again.
COME ON LEICESTER!!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

In technical terms the season was POOP !!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
glenn

Post by glenn »

A real eyeopening season for all clubs bar sarries and exeter. At one point anyone from 9 could have been in 3rd or or 11th.

That said,injuries and suspension have hit us hard.poor referee decision have not cost us games, but have been inconsistent across the prem and European games. My feeling is that with so many injuries across the teams many will have to utilise their development squads so the prem cup has to stay office game time. It's not ideal but needs to be development squad orientated.

Our squad was not up to it. Fitness, skills and talent have all been less than mediocre this year. Enough said on the matter already.

However..... The younger players brought forward a new impetus which looks positive for the future. If planned or not they have shown signs of being ready for the big games in a tigers shirt.
We are in the challenge cup. Yes it's the second tier but more development for the squad and new playing styles to see and places to visit.And the chance to get momentum going.
Everyone in the prem this year could beat anyone else, this is encouraging going forward, yes exeter and sarries were head and shoulders above(the latter maybe not quite legally)
We have leaders in the squad who have seen this season through, Ford has stepped up, Thompson has been Stella when fit, Genge on LTTV has spoken out.
We have a superb fan base.
New signings are bolstering the poor loose forwards.
Lineout speculators in Green being brought in. Along with Harry Wells (who needs to play btw)
Murphy having a pre-season to get HIS squad playing his way.

Yes it's been an appallingly bad season, however there are positive steps imho going forward
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

John, you are a lovely chap, but far to forgiving of incompetence and failure.

MOC was a disaster! Using players in the first match of the season who had no game time pre-season? Turning up two weeks late for pre-season? Repeating his previous errors?

And Murphy? Dropped in it to save the blushes of the Rugby Committee, only to cause more embarrassment as his willingness, but awful lack of experience and ability to extricate the team from a deep hole was exposed.

Bring in a new DOR, preferably not a former Tiger or England coach, and give them a free hand to bring a coaching team in. That is the only way to give the team a chance next season.
Valhalla I am coming!