Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Post by johnthegriff »

During pre-season my thoughts were that the new signings for the starting squad looked pretty good boosting our second and back row perceived as areas of weakness, the backs looked good unfortunately we had the news about Toomua's selection for Australia and the late signing of Eastmond that frankly I was happy about. I was not really a fan of Matt O Connor but felt he should be given about six weeks to show what his improved team could do. We travelled to Exeter not confident of a win but expecting an improved performance, I was shocked that we capitulated either through lack of fitness or simply lack of will.
MOC departed, Geordan took over on a temporary basis. results were mixed, a decent performance would be followed by a poor one. We seemed to be on the wrong side of some marginal or wrong decisions by referees, possibly they were more significant because of our defensive weaknesses. Injuries and absence particularly in the backs hit us hard, the brilliant on paper rarely if ever played together. Gradually the team seemed to lose confidence, we developed a knack of losing matches in the last few minutes when in the "glory days" that is when we came back to win. Was it a lack of fitness? We were told that the team were not fit enough at the start of the season, should that still be true as we approach the final game? I suppose it is difficult to play catch up on fitness once the Premiership is underway without exhausting players before a match, it was a good sign that we defended so well despite heavy pressure to secure a win at Newcastle and that we remained committed enough to score a late try and earn a bonus point at Harlequins.
Geordan Murphy seems set to continue as head coach, I am happy about that and I hope he has the coaching team that he wants, new signings are being announced and once again they appear to be strengthening areas that many saw as being not strong enough. I feel that on our strength in depth proved not to be good enough and with injury and international call up we sometimes struggled, the recruits for next season plus the development of some of our young players should address that problem.
Next season with the world cup means a tricky pre-season with players involved in Japan absent and their gradual introduction to the Premiership team as they return. However we as fans will be watching carefully, we will be looking for signs that the relegation worries of this season are behind us, as I said previously I am happy with Geordan as head coach, I thought so when he was appointed and though I confess to a few result based doubts I still think it was the right decision but I, like many others will be anxious to see visible signs of improvement as once again I travel to all the matches including hopefully a few new venues in Europe.
I am looking forward to seeing other people reflections and comment!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Thoughts & conclusions on the season.

Post by Scott1 »

Shocking! Lucky Newcastle were worse. Utterly clueless at times,with a powderpuff pack and a supposedly stellar backline that bored me to tears at times barring the odd performance here and there. Thank God for George and Guy. Scoring us 1/10 for the season overall.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

The one standout has been the lack of a consistent gameplan which everyone understands and follows - we have many talented individuals but no team . Too many of our forwards can do only 1 job - e.g Cole scrummaging , Kitchenor lineout - and lack so many of the all round skills now expected of a top class modern professional . Even something as basic as a lineout maul or pick and go is something that they cannot manage.
As for the attacking plan - lets just say it is almost non existent .
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

A couple of pluses for me,our scrum being one although then usually wasted when the hard fought penalty is wasted when kicked to the corner and our rolling maul defence which at times was surprisingly very good!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

John, i've always admired your level headed responses to some dire posts on this forum, but to say you are happy with Murphy remaining as Head Coach is not one of them. You gave MOC 6 weeks to show an improvement whereas Murphy has had 8 months, and we are about to finish the worst season in the clubs professional and amateur history.

Murphy has added nothing as a coach, whether assistant or head, the team has been spiralling the whole season because he has not been able to ignite any synergy or continuity whatsoever. Like you i'm excited about the new signings, and with one or two more maybe we will have the squad formula to enable any 'experienced' coach to get us back on track. Murphy is not that man, and this season supports this opinion. Make Ford Head Coach and move Murphy to the DoR role so there's some stability, this is no time to put sentimentality over being fit for purpose.

No referee has cost us a game and no player has either, it was a combined lack of experience of Murphy and his poor game plan that has failed time and time again. Players morale deteriorated as a consequence, the lack of belief in a severely disjointed squad was clear to see all of this season.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I wasn't optimistic about this season having spent the previous two years bleeding talent in order to squeeze in an all-England backline who we will never see for about half the season. Then we sacked MOC after one game in the ultimate knee-jerk reaction and the rest is history. Confirming Geordie after he'd just lost 8 from 9 had me wondering if the board had money on us going down.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I don’t think it helped that the good new signings... Spencer ... got himself banned ... Denton .. Got injured for a long time. Added to that Genge was off at the same time and then Bateman meant that we were shorn of of decent ball carriers for large chunks of the season. With no go forward ball the backs looked impotent and our weak defence then started to be exposed. I think we really cannot underestimate the loss of Denton. Everyone has said we lacked ball carriers and the one big decent ball carrier we had was denied to us for most of the season.
I was also frustrated at the lack of game time given to some of the youngsters that actually showed they had got what it took .. namely Kerr and Wells. The latter has looked a better player than Kitchener every time he played and yet Kitchener seemed to be preferred.. I didn’t get it I’m afraid. If he was given more game time he would be a better player now for it .. same with Kerr. Kitchener on th either hand was never going to get better and wasn’t staying anyway!
Next year it looks like some areas are being fixed but until we rebuild the club from the base up again ie based on young local talent we will lag behind Exeter and Sarries. The remarkable thing was that a few years ago every other club said they wanted to replicate the Tigers system Those that did are now successful. The club that did not value that system was Tigers and that’s why we very nearly became a championship team. The only reason we are not was because another club had a million quid taken out their playing budget and effectively were playing with one hand behind their back.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Same old excuses.
If they aren't fit enough then as pro players they aren't committed enough, and judging on some of the defending this season I'd say that's a fair comment.
What does anyone really expect when they sacked Cockerill, too demanding!
Some of this lot don't know what a hard days work is, now they do what they want and it shows.
It's quite obvious given how committed Thompson has played, a player with a completely different level of commitment, a Wasps recruit, how embarrassing!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Yet another poor season to add to the others. For me the constant lack over past seasons of identifying and developing youth players to become the core, strength and depth of the Tigers is verging on the criminal if not the insane. The number of potentially good 'club' players passed over for 'high value' names that go walk-about due to commitments outside of the club game is insane! Swapping core players who wanted to stay is another corporate travesty! The result is that a loss of core players to ints and no depth of quality to ensure a consistent standard of play during those periods, the ability to achieve goes south! There seems to have been a sense of 'no direction' and 'total disconnect' that has been obvious in the way the Tigers have played? Yes, there have been injuries but no more or less than some others in the Prem? IMHO there needs to be radical change at the top and coaching levels. If anything, this season has shown the Tigers that you can have some 'big' names on the game sheet but they don't buy you success? As Lammy said of Thacker, he may be small but he is big enough to play in the Prem as it has showed. Another talent passed over for a big name with IMO half the talent. I do feel disappointed and let down. Not because the Tigers bombed out of Europe and didn't make the play-off but the manner in which they played given the talent they have had on paper at least. As I have said on other threads, there has to be radical change in thought, idea and deed for me a Tigers fan for 40+ years to be convinced that the Tigers are worthy of being in the Prem and of my continued support!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerCam wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 pm Yet another poor season to add to the others. For me the constant lack over past seasons of identifying and developing youth players to become the core, strength and depth of the Tigers is verging on the criminal if not the insane. The number of potentially good 'club' players passed over for 'high value' names that go walk-about due to commitments outside of the club game is insane! Swapping core players who wanted to stay is another corporate travesty! The result is that a loss of core players to ints and no depth of quality to ensure a consistent standard of play during those periods, the ability to achieve goes south! There seems to have been a sense of 'no direction' and 'total disconnect' that has been obvious in the way the Tigers have played? Yes, there have been injuries but no more or less than some others in the Prem? IMHO there needs to be radical change at the top and coaching levels. If anything, this season has shown the Tigers that you can have some 'big' names on the game sheet but they don't buy you success? As Lammy said of Thacker, he may be small but he is big enough to play in the Prem as it has showed. Another talent passed over for a big name with IMO half the talent. I do feel disappointed and let down. Not because the Tigers bombed out of Europe and didn't make the play-off but the manner in which they played given the talent they have had on paper at least. As I have said on other threads, there has to be radical change in thought, idea and deed for me a Tigers fan for 40+ years to be convinced that the Tigers are worthy of being in the Prem and of my continued support!
No way would Heyes survive the set piece with Thacker.
Cole and Mulipola were struggling at first team level, it ruined Balmain's time here, Heyes could've been hurt!
McGuigan though would've fitted, but what does it matter as even Kerr can't get the 2 shirt!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I find it quite amusing that people somehow think that only successful teams deserve fans support. I have had a season ticket since 1984 and therefore have had the good fortune to see many good times.
Yes I have been disappointed with our decline over the past few seasons especially in Europe but have never considered giving up my season ticket because I love the club and recognise that it is the hard times when they need my support the most so would suggest that if your support is based on success just wait to see which team finishes top each season and then support that team :smt003
A2O
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

I just spent the last hour typing up a review but as it took so long, I got timed out and it logged me out. Is there anyway to get back what I typed? Is there a drafts section it may have auto saved to?

My thoughts ended with this though.

This season has been poor. It has been frustrating and not good enough. I hope we never have to go through a season like 2018/2019 ever again. I am however, confident that we will start to turn things around next season but we as fans, shouldn't expect us to be in the top 4. Next season may be another tough season but hopefully not and I don't think it will be as tough as this one. I am confident that Leicester Tigers will return to the top 4 within a few seasons though.

Come on you Tigers!
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

John, I'd like to congratulate you on your bravery in posing the question as it will inevitably become yet another sack Murphy thread. My view of the season for what it's worth is:

By far the worst Tigers team I've seen and it's difficult to find many positives. In my opinion the majority of the problem is down to an under powered forward pack that simply can't compete at premiership level. I know I will be in the minority but I'm not sure whether a premiership level player should have to be coached on how to clear a breakdown or make a tackle. We have been hampered by injuries and suspensions but primarily by poor recruitment, particularly in the forwards.

I just want the season to end so I can forget about rugby until the World Cup starts. Hopefully after the Bath game and another round of sack Murphy threads even this forum might take a break and move onto other things before we start with sack Murphy again at the start of next season.

Do I think Geordie is a good coach and the right man for the job, I don't know yet. But he looks to be recruiting well, the lack of forward power has been recognised and is being addressed. He will be going into next season with something closer to his team rather than an inheritance. This will be the true test, if by Christmas there isn't a marked improvement in performance and results I might consider calling for change. Until then my glass is half full and and I'm optimistic for next season.

I hope Geordie is successful next season and I can enjoy reading the humble pie posts!
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I'd add that this season has been a pretty mediocre season across the board. I don't know if it's because I have been paying more attention to the games towards the bottom of the table, but it seems that there have been a lot more games where both teams have played badly this season.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:06 pm Same old excuses.
If they aren't fit enough then as pro players they aren't committed enough, and judging on some of the defending this season I'd say that's a fair comment.
What does anyone really expect when they sacked Cockerill, too demanding!
Some of this lot don't know what a hard days work is, now they do what they want and it shows.
It's quite obvious given how committed Thompson has played, a player with a completely different level of commitment, a Wasps recruit, how embarrassing!
Yep, Cockers with his no stars, get grafting mentality didn't suit the primadonnas. That edge is what is missing.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.