Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by kk20gb30 »

1989Tiger wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:08 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:05 am ..Quins were average at best ; thank goodness

1989Tiger
... To me, great rugby is winning rugby. If that means slow and shove it up your shirt Rugby gets you a 6-3 win, then I'll watch that every week...
This I'd agree with , but we have not been doing that ,have we ?
Down to our resources , player wise ?
Down to our coaching ?

Probably a little (or a lot) of both , but as a team we are certainly less than the the sum of our parts.
[/quote]

No we haven't but people keep saying how great that type of rugby is and that's what we should be aiming for. It isn't. We just need winning rugby.
[/quote]

Believe that you know yourself that at one time we had this trait and/or adopted this mentality ourselves,and again I'd agree with your sentiment.Winning is entertainment.
People really should be careful what they wish for ...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:08 am Yes ellis winning is the most important thing and it is possible to do so with a limited game plan, but at some point other teams work you out and the plan needs to evolve.

Look at Sarries very limited game plan a few years ago under Venter, we all hated the style but had grudging respect, now we have to sit back in admiration as we watch them win in style, but they have not forgotten that a dominant pack is still the most important thing in rugby union.
I know you've responded to someone else but the rugby I talk about isn't a limited style.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:11 am Can't wait for this season to end to be honest, looking forward to the WC and a serious clear out at Tigers with the introduction (hopefully) of some players and coaches deserving of the shirt (and our support).
Totally agree ... is there still another game to go :smt010
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

MikeR wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:07 am For me Harrison sums up Leicester's problems - commitment excellent but limited talent . Can't kick , indecisive, always passes and no threat to the opposition - that's probably why he's not been able to nail down a 1st choice spot in all the years he's been playing . Look at the other scrum halves around - De Klerk ,Reinach , Spencer ,Nic White , Care .They can do special things and regularly perform well for there Clubs unlike our No 1 choice YBY who rarely seems bothered when he plays for us . Why not give Simmons a go - he surely can't do any worse .
I think the 9's sum up Leicester's problems in that there are clear weaknesses.
BY isn't keen on the physical stuff and especially since that ruck incident against Italy and so everyone targets the ruck.
White looks eager but hasn't got any pace off the mark to attack the fringes and so everyone knows where to line up in defence against him and it's so slow the ball is going backwards behind the gain line phase after phase, this is the biggest single concern for me as it's so obvious only the most naive viewer could miss it.
Simmons does look the most talented of the lot whenever I've seen him play.
Harrison is the most consistent all round, he may not have the BY highs and to be honest with such a high workrate being like an extra flanker with his ruck and tackle rescue jobs it's unrealistic to expect so, this is why he gets better and better with full match fitness which he has rarely had the chance to attain, it is crucial to his game and then he is the best of the lot all round in my opinion.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

To add BFG it's quite embarrassing that Harrison is always top or in the top 3 in the tackle count while apart from Thompson also being our biggest threat at the breakdown! Id be ashamed being one of the pack seeing those stats week in week out!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Oh well slightly better than some performances this season, seemed to last a bit longer before imploding in the second half. Seems Tigers will survive now, helped by Falcons, not sure they should, worst team and worst season, at least this century.

Can't see it being any better next year with the current BoD, the coaching set up led by the Irish apprentice and the players we have. Probably be relegation contenders again. I expect May regrets leaving Glos' now so he'll probably be gone at the end of his current contract along with a few others.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

20yearsatiger wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:52 pm Is that our most brainless, uninventive performance of the season?
Idiotic penalties. Pathetic game management. Consistently 2nd best at breakdown.
Come on Gloucester. We are not good enough to secure our safety, please help us!
At no point during that game was there IMO a single sign of where a try was going to come from! The inability to control the ball is infectious! I spent more creative time getting beers out of my beer fridge than the Tigers did in the Quins red zone! Dan Cole wandering aimlessly across the pitch into BOC was a prime example of no communications and no execution of a plan. Quins just had to line up and shut the Tigers down - pityful!!! And my beer fridge is nearly empty too!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

TigerCam wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:01 pm
20yearsatiger wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:52 pm ...Dan Cole wandering aimlessly across the pitch into BOC was a prime example of no communications and no execution of a plan...
I love DC for his scrummaging ability and sheer dogged stamina and strength but I shouted out several times last night as I have done before, NEVER give DC the pill in open play unless you expect him to truck it up.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

TomWeston wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:07 pm
TigerCam wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:01 pm
20yearsatiger wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:52 pm ...Dan Cole wandering aimlessly across the pitch into BOC was a prime example of no communications and no execution of a plan...
I love DC for his scrummaging ability and sheer dogged stamina and strength but I shouted out several times last night as I have done before, NEVER give DC the pill in open play unless you expect him to truck it up.
Unfortunately that’s absolutely on the money. He’s the best scrummaging tight head in the league. In open play though, he’s too static and rigid. Lacks the dynamism to carry effectively, looks pedestrian, ambles into the tackle and gets stopped on contact or driven back. Never looks like drawing a man and giving pass. Compare that with what Sinckler is capable of, they’re worlds apart.
So it then becomes a trade off, tight play versus loose, I’d probably pick Cole but we have to learn to play around his limitations, don’t give him the ball, let him be the support to clear out.
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Tigers failed at the breakdown. When we played pick and go we made ground but as soon as we passed it our first or second receiver they were smashed by one but normally two defenders. SH recognised space around the breakdown but he was never going to break through on his own. After 50 minutes it was the same old story, we began to make lots of errors, and begun to giveaway numerous penalties that cost us dearly. Think this reflects the fact that Tigers especially the forwards were tired and I'm afraid to say not all the players were giving 100%.

Next game is irrelevant as Newcastle are down so maybe without the pressure on us we might play really well or is that still a pipe dream?

Next season we will see a different structure, both playing and coaching and it is important for us to achieve European qualification if we are to hold onto our better players. My view is that our priority must be to produce a defence that doesn't miss tackles and leak tries even if that means playing 'boring' rugby. We must again make Welford Road a fortress.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

NONAME who's coming in please?! :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Can't tell you but its the worse kept secret in Rugby.

More interested in the players coming in. Supposed to be several World Class players but our signings of previous World Class players hasn't really set the club on fire in fact most have proved damp quids! (There are exceptions)
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

NONAME wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:59 pm Can't tell you but its the worse kept secret in Rugby.

More interested in the players coming in. Supposed to be several World Class players but our signings of previous World Class players hasn't really set the club on fire in fact most have proved damp quids! (There are exceptions)
Somebody else who makes a comment to show they "know" something but won't ever mention names.

If you can't mention names, you may as well not say anything at all.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Well it's obviously Cheika then,that's the only link. Rowntree has just been punted on here
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

NONAME wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:59 pm Can't tell you but its the worse kept secret in Rugby.

What about defense and forwards coaches? Surely we are not going to continue with the current two damp squibs.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100