Quins vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Quins vs Tigers

Post by RagingBull »

Darc Tiger wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:57 pm How we can be so utterly toothless?

We offer NOTHING in attack. Absolutely nothing. Even if the forwards are lacking, that doesn't excuse how completely devoid of a plan and shape we are.
How can you create an attack if the forwards don't give front foot ball?
The forwards are the key.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

The one positive I’ve just thought of, some of these players won’t be here much longer, and I’m actually subtly impressed with some of the recruitment, assuming those rumoured follow those so far confirmed. I still think we need an additional fullback (I’m hoping Blommetjies joins permanent) and perhaps an explosive winger in the Tuilagi/Goneva style who takes some defending against.
I think that’ll give us a hungrier more aggressive squad to work with. But following on from that, a serious coaching shakeup is needed. If the squad is upgraded, then for sure the coaches need to start to deliver some serious structure and intensity for them to play to.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Nice to see you back Ellis :smt022
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

LBP secured, but watching our team is like watching some wounded animal try to keep up with the herd... :smt022
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

RagingBull wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:58 pm
Big Dai wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:45 pm So even if Falcons win they need 2 Try Bonus Points which they have only done once all season
So I watch rugby all season just to celebrate the potential ineptitude of one team below us?

Ruddy Ada!
Who is celebrating?
I'm merely stating facts.
................ :smt018 :smt012 :smt015
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:59 pm

We offer NOTHING in attack. Absolutely nothing. Even if the forwards are lacking, that doesn't excuse how completely devoid of a plan and shape we are.
I'm getting fed up of this excuse. We've played for better with similar packs. This lot are so low on confidence and poorly coached, its unbelievable for a club of our resources.
Last edited by Darc Tiger on Fri May 03, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

20yearsatiger wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:52 pm Is that our most brainless, uninventive performance of the season?
Idiotic penalties. Pathetic game management. Consistently 2nd best at breakdown.
Nope, just about every other game has been like that - it's certainly been a regular occurrence this season.

Head scratching trying to figure out how a large number of talented players can perform (or not) so badly for each other, for their club and for their supporters.

Some will say they tried, they put effort in but sadly it's not enough, there's no 'ooomph' at all in that side, players look like they can't be bothered at times - irrespective of soundbites and media chat.

Daft penalties have been a running theme - the only thing that is regularly running in our team.

Single ball carrier into contact, no-one latching on to drive (except for the last drive that we scored from tonight), leaving one man at the breakdown that invites a counter 'ruck' and we turn the ball over, dawdling into position, taking forever to move the ball on - allowing the defence to reorganise, switching off at critical points allowing opposition to slice through us, basic skills lacking, players static and just going through the motions passing the ball along a static line, no one hitting the line at pace or running onto the ball.

We can do all of these, and do them well, we have shown them in glimpses but when they work we strangely revert to type and go back to plodding.

Emily Scarratt just said you can put your money on Tigers at home at Welford road....I have 20p spare and I wouldn't put that on Tigers at home right now :smt005 :smt005

We are looking like scraping through this season by the skin of our teeth, reliant on other results still with 1 game to go - no matter how unlikely a Falcons' escape seems, and I'm grateful for that, but it's depressing that we play the same carp week in week out and never seem to learn.

It wasn't that long ago I recall Cockers saying you can expect to win the premiership if you lose 5 games.... well, we've won 7 all season this time around, and some of those we've scraped through, been unlucky in a couple we've lost yes, but also lucky not to lose more.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:59 pm That is the position we find ourselves in Big Dai - I preferred it when we were at the top but now we are near the bottom - support we must. As Bill used to say - keep the faith. It will be better next season ...... hopefully
I have faith in a lot of things, but a Tigers revival is not one of them.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:59 pm Losing Williams and Thompson was next exactly in the script.....Thompson has been very influential in the last few games
Fair point to a degree but when other teams lose players in a match their replacements generally come on and know the routines/structures, then again our starters didn't look like there was any routine/structure embedded at times either.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Am I the only one to see Quins off-side most of the second half but Sir only started to ping them for it in the last couple of minutes? He only seemed to spot our forward passed but let quite a few blatant FP's go for them.

While admitting our bias, we all commented at the same time in our house.
A life long Tiger
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Darc Tiger wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:02 pm

I'm getting fed up of this excuse. We've played for better with similar packs. This lot are so low on confidence and poorly coached, its unbelievable for a club of our resources.
One off games v constantly over a season is the difference.
We have played some great rugby this year also.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Smudge wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 pm Am I the only one to see Quins off-side most of the second half but Sir only started to ping them for it in the last couple of minutes? He only seemed to spot our forward passed but let quite a few blatant FP's go for them.

While admitting our bias, we all commented at the same time in our house.
Not at all, but then it was the same with Bristol last week.

Quins were 'at it' in the first half too, it was commented on earlier in this thread - commentators gave their 'line speed' credit.

It's not just our games, officials turn a blind eye too many times to the basics being 'stretched'.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Before the game, there was the feeling that Tigers would get absolutely smashed and come away with nothing....they somehow stayed in the game for 70 minutes with only a score needed to win. A slip by one of the Tigers players allowed Quins to score what looked to be a decisive score. Tigers managed to get back up field and were rewarded with the final try....a bonus point that may just save the season and retain its place in the Premiership.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:09 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:02 pm

One off games v constantly over a season is the difference.
We have played some great rugby this year also.

Played a lot of rugby and none of it came close to being a sniff of great. :smt015
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:12 pm Before the game, there was the feeling that Tigers would get absolutely smashed and come away with nothing....they somehow stayed in the game for 70 minutes with only a score needed to win. A slip by one of the Tigers players allowed Quins to score what looked to be a decisive score. Tigers managed to get back up field and were rewarded with the final try....a bonus point that may just save the season and retain its place in the Premiership.
If Tigers could play as a team with common purpose, structure and any semblance of an attack then we would have won that game. But instead through utter stupidity we did our level best to lose the game by giving away copious penalties and we never looked like scoring a try bar the last dying seconds.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity