All Coaches except Boris must go now..

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

1989Tiger

Re: All Coaches except Boris must go now..

Post by 1989Tiger »

So then, who do those people saying we need new people on the board and a new DOR recommend to replace the current board and come in as a DOR?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:13 pm What confounds me is that our supporters can see where the problems lie, but the BOD seem oblivious to them.
I think this is a bit of an urban myth. Not that I am saying there aren't some astute and knowledgeable fans out there. Just that knowing what the problems are and knowing how to solve them aren't as simple as many believe.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

ourla wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:59 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:13 pm What confounds me is that our supporters can see where the problems lie, but the BOD seem oblivious to them.
I think this is a bit of an urban myth. Not that I am saying there aren't some astute and knowledgeable fans out there. Just that knowing what the problems are and knowing how to solve them aren't as simple as many believe.
...it would be nice to see they are actually trying to do something about it.
Every week we repeat the same thing, poor tackling no support to the carriers drift defence does not drift with constant overlaps when teams go wide. This is just basics but we are unable to address these issues.Seriously the players do not need the coaching staff to tell them what to do, surely they can see for themselves what they need to do but they seem to want to play the game by numbers.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I don’t think any of us are naive enough to think that the players aren’t trying to resolve the problems on the field. I guarantee if we watched training we’d think, “blimey that was a hard session and we looked good”, the issues come when you get onto the field on a weekend. I’ve heard players talk about it, when confidence is low and you’re trying so hard to put things right that you try too hard...almost. One error becomes two, a penalty, a missed tackle and you’re behind on the scoreboard...it’s hard to get back. Then you’re trying too hard to rectify the error and so on and so on. Clear thinking and leadership are required and we don’t seem to have that, someone who can turn it around and take others with them. We’ve got some cracking players, but between them they can’t solve the problems. Neither can the coaches.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:04 am I don’t think any of us are naive enough to think that the players aren’t trying to resolve the problems on the field. I guarantee if we watched training we’d think, “blimey that was a hard session and we looked good”, the issues come when you get onto the field on a weekend. I’ve heard players talk about it, when confidence is low and you’re trying so hard to put things right that you try too hard...almost. One error becomes two, a penalty, a missed tackle and you’re behind on the scoreboard...it’s hard to get back. Then you’re trying too hard to rectify the error and so on and so on. Clear thinking and leadership are required and we don’t seem to have that, someone who can turn it around and take others with them. We’ve got some cracking players, but between them they can’t solve the problems. Neither can the coaches.
... I take your point as per the confidence issue but that is secondary to not doing the basics. The issues we have had with missed tackles comes down to players not willing to put their bodies on the line. The countless attempts to tackle an opponent running side by side then trying to bring the player down is a clear sign that the tackler has either chosen to go through the motions to avoid injury or has received the level of coaching not fit for purpose.
Surely you bring this up with the culprits and state that there will be consequences for this manner of play.
It seems clear to me that the majority of this team lacks heart. A willingness to put their bodies on the line a knowledge that win or lose they wii still be paid.
The fact that we accept this week in and week out suggests we need a more robust management and players with a better work ethics.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For me while the coaching staff are inexperienced, the majority of the problems on the field are purely individual and mental.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

1989Tiger wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:03 pm So then, who do those people saying we need new people on the board and a new DOR recommend to replace the current board and come in as a DOR?
Putting a name to people to replace the senior top three is far more complex than either you or I know, as we are talking about professional big business men. Replacing the likes of Kay and Underwood, who are lower down the ladder is easier to answer. As long as they are in a position to do it, then I would be looking at the likes of people like Martin Corry, and Will Greenwood.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:58 pm
1989Tiger wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:03 pm So then, who do those people saying we need new people on the board and a new DOR recommend to replace the current board and come in as a DOR?
Putting a name to people to replace the senior top three is far more complex than either you or I know, as we are talking about professional big business men. Replacing the likes of Kay and Underwood, who are lower down the ladder is easier to answer. As long as they are in a position to do it, then I would be looking at the likes of people like Martin Corry, and Will Greenwood.
So you don't know if there is anyone better to take over? Seems strange to want people replaced without knowing if there's anyone available to do so.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

No. What is strange is that Tigers, uniquely in the entire premiership believe that the appropriate person to head up the coaching team is the leat experienced coach in the entire premiership. Coaching. is a profession, you learn it over time.

Mark McColl Coach Ireland U21 and Ireland A, Ulster 2001-2006 Ulster Head Coach. Castres 2006-2009, 2009-10 1st team coach Director of Rugby. Paul Gustard – Saracens Assistant Coach 2008-2009, defence coach 2019-2016, England 2016-2018
Rob Baxter 2006 University of Exeter, forwards coach Chiefs. 2009-2018 Head Coach Exeter (in the Championship). Dia Young HC Cardiff Blues in 2003-11, HC Wasps 2011-2019. Chris Boyd started 1989, various appointments, 2015 Head Coach Hurricanes (losing finalists 2015, winners of super league 2016). Johan' Ackermann 2013 Lions Head Coach (SARU Coach of the Year award in 2014).Pat Lam Assistant Scotland Coach 203 World Cup, Head Coach Auckland 2004-2008, Head Coach Blues 2009-2012, Head Coach Connacht 2013 (won Pro 12 in 2015-2016). Alan Solomons 1997Assistant coach Western Province (winners of Currie Cup), Stormers & Springboks. 1998 Head coach of Western Province (Currie Cup finalists), 1999-2001 Head Coach Stormers. 1997-2001 Assistant Springbok Coach (Tri Nations winners 1998, 3rd placed at RWC 1999). 2001-2004 Ulster Head Coach. Northampton Head Coach. 2013-2017 Head Coach Edinburgh. 2017 Head Coach Wocester. Tod Blackadder 2004 Forward Coach Scotland, forward coach Edinburgh, Head Coach Crusaders 2008-2016.
I don't need to mention Dean Richards at Newcastle. I won';t mention Steve Diamond as a matter if principle.

Yet uniquely, the biggest rugby club in England appoints an ex player Assistant Head Coach in 2013-2014, the club wins nothing, he appointed interim Head Coach in 2018, Plays 9 loses 8 and on that basis his appointment is confirmed.

It is not GM's fault. It would just be interesting to understand why uniquely the Leicester Board believe that they / we are so unique - or is it just sheer arrogance. Why the Leicester players deserve to have coached who are learning their trade as they go.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

1989Tiger wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:00 pm
So you don't know if there is anyone better to take over? Seems strange to want people replaced without knowing if there's anyone available to do so.
Extremely able people WLL be out there, but for you to ask for names, is utter nonsense, imo.

You are either in favour of our BOD, or you are just being plain daft, with your petit and puerile posts. Still, I suppose some people can't help themselves, or lack the ability to post constructively.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

There are dozens of better Coaches out there.
It needs someone to get off their :censored: and find them.
Pronto, my man !!!!!!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We don’t know really suitable replacements on the spot as we are not in know on coaches contracts and therefore can only widely suspect potential replacements.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Dangerous4 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:36 am

Extremely able people WLL be out there, but for you to ask for names, is utter nonsense, imo.

You are either in favour of our BOD, or you are just being plain daft, with your petit and puerile posts. Still, I suppose some people can't help themselves, or lack the ability to post constructively.
I don't know who is available either and as you don't, I don't think you should be demanding change. You're just presuming there's better people available.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

JP14 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:35 am We don’t know really suitable replacements on the spot as we are not in know on coaches contracts and therefore can only widely suspect potential replacements.
Whereas the people who do know, are the ones currently on the board. They know if there are better options available or not.

Perhaps there is, perhaps there isn't.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

1989Tiger wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:13 am
Dangerous4 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:36 am

I don't know who is available either and as you don't, I don't think you should be demanding change. You're just presuming there's better people available.
No it's not. Competent businesses change the composition of their BOD's regularly. It is one of the things that makes them competent. This BOD has failed. That's not my opinion. Look at the facts. If it hasn't failed then what would failure look like? Tesco's, Shell, P&G do not judge their BOD on the basis of company results in 2012. They make judgements on here, now and future.

I had a drink last night with a friend who is as well connected in premiership circles at the top level as one can be (he always admired Tigers). His view is that Tigers are now regarded as being a dysfunctional club by the other premiership clubs. He takes no pleasure in saying so. He gave me a specific example. It was embarrassing.