All Coaches except Boris must go now..

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: All Coaches except Boris must go now..

Post by Tigerbeat »

LE18 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:50 pm Jed Glynn gone or hiding? I heard he had gone?
Definitely not hiding as he was in the stands yesterday.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:26 pm I can't see Murphy resigning because honestly who's going to hire him after all this, and he's got his own financial security to look after. Same with Deacon and Allen. Blake I believe is on a short term deal and needs to be shown the door immediately after the season concludes.
I heard that Blake is going at the end of the season anyway as he has alegedly a new job as a "grasser" in a large turf accountants!
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Freebird
Tiger Cub

Post by Freebird »

Can someone explain to me why Anthony Allen deserves the sack? He is predominantly an academy coach and it is my understanding that they have done rather well over the last couple of years. While he may have helped out with the first team before additional coaches came in and has stepped up for the PRC, he is not even listed on the website as part of the 1st XV management team.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Allen doesn’t deserve the sack, he has guided the Shield team well, don’t know the specifics but I believe we have improved on last year’s position in the A League.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:53 pm Allen doesn’t deserve the sack, he has guided the Shield team well, don’t know the specifics but I believe we have improved on last year’s position in the A League.
Correction we have finished 3 points lower than last year but from watching from the stands I thought the performances have been better.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:52 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:50 pm Jed Glynn gone or hiding? I heard he had gone?
Definitely not hiding as he was in the stands yesterday.
Certainly not hiding - talking very positively before the game.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

It's interesting reading about Pat Howard's return to the club. His first "off the pitch" role was as backs coach at Tigers at the age of 27/28.

I wonder if that's a way to lessen George Ford's effect on the salary cap? Make him backs/attack coach*. He seems to do a lot of the job anyway!

*I appreciate pretty difficult if he's away 1/3 of the season with England. :smt002
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I’m not saying that this coach or that coach should go, but if the reason is to not change because we’ve changed a lot over the last few years then that’s not good enough. If they’re not cutting it, get rid. It’s not like we didn’t see the other coaches...Ackerman, Gustard, Boyd.....all 3 teams on the up and 2 out of the 3 likely in the play-offs. The way it’s going we should stay up, but we can’t be happy with that. Looking at the recruitment of Irish and others, next season could be even worse. It’s not like it’s one thing to sort out. It’s defence, attack, style of play, communication....the current crop of coaches don’t seem able to improve the side. Assuming we carry on with what we’ve got, the opening games next season will be crucial, without our internationals. It’s going to be a long hard summer and pre-season.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 am I’m not saying that this coach or that coach should go, but if the reason is to not change because we’ve changed a lot over the last few years then that’s not good enough. If they’re not cutting it, get rid. It’s not like we didn’t see the other coaches...Ackerman, Gustard, Boyd.....all 3 teams on the up and 2 out of the 3 likely in the play-offs. The way it’s going we should stay up, but we can’t be happy with that. Looking at the recruitment of Irish and others, next season could be even worse. It’s not like it’s one thing to sort out. It’s defence, attack, style of play, communication....the current crop of coaches don’t seem able to improve the side. Assuming we carry on with what we’ve got, the opening games next season will be crucial, without our internationals. It’s going to be a long hard summer and pre-season.

Agreed. I think the way results are going, given we could lose the last two games, the club won’t have a choice but be forced to act and appoint a new coaching team. Do they really have a choice given the way things have gone.
clarkey80
Tiger Cub

Post by clarkey80 »

For me the longer we hold on to wishing for the old Tigers DNA to return the further we will slide.
We have to move on and create a new DNA that is fit for the current day.
We need a world class no nonsense DOR who can be able to bring in who he wants as Head Coach and all the other coaching positions - whether they are ex-Tigers players or not.
We don't need to accept that there will then be a few years of transition. Boyd, Gustard - both done a great job at turning things around - Ackerman - a year longer and look at Gloucester.
As much as I like GM I just don't think he is the man for this job.
We look like a team with poor basic skills, no creativity, a poor performing pack in the loose and we fully deserve to be 11th and not safe from relegation.
I don't believe Newcastle will get anything at Gloucester - especially after they lost yesterday - so I am hoping that Pat Howard can get the message through to the BOD that the current plan can't be allowed to progress.
I'm positive that with a few of these changes we can see a real improvement next season but if we don't act we can expect another disappointing year.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

The problem with reacting after the season finishes, is the recruitment appears largely in place for next season, meaning if someone new is to come in, they inherit somebody else’s squad choices.

I can see the theory with bringing in Tigers old boys, to restore some of the previously feared Tigers never say die ethos, understanding what it means to represent the club, and the and the expectations that go with that. However, there comes a point where a fresh approach may be more beneficial.

Interestingly I watched the academy documentary, and in the first game of the season Tigers won by a pretty convincing scoreline, but Matt Smith comments it’s not acceptable. The scoreline flatters, but the performance was not at the level he expects of Tigers players. Smith comments that the players are wearing club colours so will be judged as Tigers, being young makes no difference. I believe that’s the ethos we are trying to rebuild.

Looking at the current coaching setup, are they making headway, I’d say not.
Boris has got the scrum firing well, undeniable.
Bakewell hasn’t got the pack functioning, too weak in the loose.
Murphy hasn’t inspired any cutting edge in attack. You could argue the forwards inability to deliver impacts what the backs can do, but I’m just not seeing any glimpses of attacking flair.
Defensively we look fragile, so Blake has not made any difference. Even the basics of tackling appear missing in some, maybe Blake can’t be totally blamed at this late stage.
Is the squad fit enough, because there have been too many late losses.

You can see the improvement made by the teams who have changed head coaches / DoR’s over the last season or so. Gloucester have undergone a clear shift in style of play, likewise Bristol and Quins. Saints are now starting to shown signs that Boyd’s tactics are taking shape.
We don’t have that clear identity showing through. We seem very much to be playing through the phases on the hope that a moment of individual skill will open defences up, be that Ford threading a pass, Manu breaking a tackle, or May getting on the outside. There seems little to no clear gameplan or structure. If I could see an underlying vision of how we want to play, but perhaps the players aren’t quite delivering, then I’d hope that with the right recruiting that could be fixed, but it just appears without base structure, it’ll be more of the same.

Is the best option a clean sweep of coaching setup, a new DoR who can appoint his own coaches? Or retain Murphy as head coach with an experienced DoR to help, or as DoR with a top head coach? Who’s available? Whoever it is, will they be able to make the squad (as it is shaping up) work to their ideology?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:14 am The problem with reacting after the season finishes, is the recruitment appears largely in place for next season, meaning if someone new is to come in, they inherit somebody else’s squad choices.

I can see the theory with bringing in Tigers old boys, to restore some of the previously feared Tigers never say die ethos, understanding what it means to represent the club, and the and the expectations that go with that. However, there comes a point where a fresh approach may be more beneficial.

Interestingly I watched the academy documentary, and in the first game of the season Tigers won by a pretty convincing scoreline, but Matt Smith comments it’s not acceptable. The scoreline flatters, but the performance was not at the level he expects of Tigers players. Smith comments that the players are wearing club colours so will be judged as Tigers, being young makes no difference. I believe that’s the ethos we are trying to rebuild.

Looking at the current coaching setup, are they making headway, I’d say not.
Boris has got the scrum firing well, undeniable.
Bakewell hasn’t got the pack functioning, too weak in the loose.
Murphy hasn’t inspired any cutting edge in attack. You could argue the forwards inability to deliver impacts what the backs can do, but I’m just not seeing any glimpses of attacking flair.
Defensively we look fragile, so Blake has not made any difference. Even the basics of tackling appear missing in some, maybe Blake can’t be totally blamed at this late stage.
Is the squad fit enough, because there have been too many late losses.

You can see the improvement made by the teams who have changed head coaches / DoR’s over the last season or so. Gloucester have undergone a clear shift in style of play, likewise Bristol and Quins. Saints are now starting to shown signs that Boyd’s tactics are taking shape.
We don’t have that clear identity showing through. We seem very much to be playing through the phases on the hope that a moment of individual skill will open defences up, be that Ford threading a pass, Manu breaking a tackle, or May getting on the outside. There seems little to no clear gameplan or structure. If I could see an underlying vision of how we want to play, but perhaps the players aren’t quite delivering, then I’d hope that with the right recruiting that could be fixed, but it just appears without base structure, it’ll be more of the same.

Is the best option a clean sweep of coaching setup, a new DoR who can appoint his own coaches? Or retain Murphy as head coach with an experienced DoR to help, or as DoR with a top head coach? Who’s available? Whoever it is, will they be able to make the squad (as it is shaping up) work to their ideology?
That's exactly what I have been trying (with little success) to convey on here, but get shouted down by those willing to allow excuses to prosper.
It's not acceptable and never has been but it has become the norm to the point that there is no accountability.
You can't improve with that attitude.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think Murphy will resign at the end of the season.

Always struck me as a man of honour and integrity so was never going to quit while there was a job to be done.
Whether he leaves Tigers altogether I don't know but I suspect he will want whoever comes in to have a free hand to appoint who they wish. Will that mean a role outside of the first team? Or will an incoming coach want someone to provide continuity?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hasn't NONAME claimed already that GM is going upstairs and a new HC is coming in after the RWC?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:14 pm Hasn't NONAME claimed already that GM is going upstairs and a new HC is coming in after the RWC?
To my mind that is the best way forwards, I'm a self confessed "happy clapper" but I'm struggling to see any of the innovation or spark I thought GM might have brought to the coaching group. That said I think having read what some of the incoming players have said and what the current crop of players are saying I think GM has a vision of where and how he wants the club to be and I think he should be given more time to move towards it in a DOR role with somebody coming in as HC (not Mike Ford).

As for the other coaches I'm not a fan of calling for people to be sacked but I feel like its fair to say Blake & Bakewell haven't exactly had the impact we wanted, Boris must be kept at all costs and I think Allen and Deacon have the potential to become quality coaches.

The only other viable option IMO is a complete clearout and starting fresh with a new coaching team and DOR (Perfect opportunity to give Ben Ryan a go) but I can't see that happening at all, especially before next season.