Cohen in the Express.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Cohen in the Express.

Post by BigDan50 »

This is not going to end happily, firstly if Murphy is a good enough pick for head coach, why have we hired Mike Ford to work with him, we all know Ford is a toxic character and will want to be the top man and do anything to attain that position, look what he did at Barf.
The appointment of Murphy is a massive mistake as he has shown in all the time he has been coaching at Tigers our skill levels have dropped and results declined. He plainly is not good enough.
Time for the board to stop hiring ex Tigers for coaching positions and hire a coach from outside the so called Tigers family who can put his own identity on the squad and hire his own assistant coaches. We are still living in the past.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Mike Ford - a toxic character? Can you back that up BD50?
Semper in excretia
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

On Mike Ford I'm pretty sure Bath is generally a toxic environment and has been ever since Craig has brought the club.

Ford certainly has a reputation but he defended Johnno during the RWC when everyone else (Bar Wells and Rowntree) was trying to throw him under the bus.

Gary Gold likes to paint himself as a victim during that time BUT look at his coaching record
Gold has not held the same coaching position for more than 2 years at any club. and has in fact had 4 different coaching positions in 4 years since leaving the club.
He did the nasty on Worcester leaving them mid season when he said he wouldn't.

Now personally I wouldn't be a fan of giving Ford the full time job, but I don't think he is as toxic as some say he is and I think it just gives bath fans an easy out over why their teams keeps under performing.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Can't speak to his character having never met the man, but there must be a reason why his last two jobs have been Dallas and Germany, when a dozen plus better gigs have passed him by.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:01 pm On Mike Ford I'm pretty sure Bath is generally a toxic environment and has been ever since Craig has brought the club.

Ford certainly has a reputation but he defended Johnno during the RWC when everyone else (Bar Wells and Rowntree) was trying to throw him under the bus.

Gary Gold likes to paint himself as a victim during that time BUT look at his coaching record
Gold has not held the same coaching position for more than 2 years at any club. and has in fact had 4 different coaching positions in 4 years since leaving the club.
He did the nasty on Worcester leaving them mid season when he said he wouldn't.

Now personally I wouldn't be a fan of giving Ford the full time job, but I don't think he is as toxic as some say he is and I think it just gives bath fans an easy out over why their teams keeps under performing.
I think a Ford Murphy mix could work just not sure which way round. Maybe follow the Gloucester model with Murphy taking the Humphrey’s role and Ford Ackerman’s
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Reading those newspaper comments has left me unsure whether to laugh or cry.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:34 pm
jgriffin wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:07 pm Actually he has voiced his concern for some time now, has stood on the terraces frequently enough to get viewpoints, and has pointed out he does not make the playing side choices. Cockers going was a lot down to players who didn't like the 'all equal' and 'grind em down' philosophy as well as mismatch with Mauger; Mauger (and the hapless Scott) was a terrible choice, following a not-very-good coach IMO; return of MOC welcomed by some players and rugby side of BoD (BK, RU). Many people seem to think Cohen makes all the decisions; not so - but then there are those for who Peter Tom can do no wrong, and a very small number who seem to hate Cohen for some reason and think it OK to insult or threaten.
The situation at Tigers is very complex, and a lot to do with failure to bolster the ageing side (and coaches) in 2012-13. Buying cheap meant getting cheap. The blame lies with the BoD in its entirety from around that time IMO.
Everything seemed to start going downhill when Paul Burke inherited MoC`s position after he left the first time. A better coach should have been hired, whether that was down to the board being cheap or RC having misplaced loyalty I don't know. Either way, it's been downhill ever since!
Yep I think that was the first real sign of problems, though IMO and that of a very knowledgeable and connected gent I worked with the problems were cheap recruitment and very outmoded defence and backs coaching.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Simon Cohen's contribution to the Tigers has been immense. He has worked tirelessly to balance the books and secure the future for the club whilst considerably improving the stadium. Unlike other clubs that have a 'Sugar Daddy' or ignore the salary cap Mr Cohen has on a restricted budget achieved much but ultimately he does not have the final word on who to sign be it players or coaches.

For those who know Simon they will confirm he speaks a lot of sense and has a good knowledge of Rugby and understands the dynamics of the team. He has suffered a lot of unfair criticism and abuse, so much so his wife no longer attends matches which is a terrible reflection on the club.

I hope Simon is not made the fall guy for the awful mess we find ourselves in. It was not of his making. I also hope that supporters realise its not a god given gift that we finish Top 4 every season and to expect to, is to be ignorant to the current state of the premiership. A very clever and well respected ex-player said to me its a 5 year rebuilding process so we will have to get use to mid table and hope for Top 4.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

5 years? Really? If we get the players in rumoured to go with the ones we've already got with our international nucleus and continue the stepup with our academy players I expect top 6 next season at the very least.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

NONAME wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:43 am Simon Cohen's contribution to the Tigers has been immense. He has worked tirelessly to balance the books and secure the future for the club whilst considerably improving the stadium. Unlike other clubs that have a 'Sugar Daddy' or ignore the salary cap Mr Cohen has on a restricted budget achieved much but ultimately he does not have the final word on who to sign be it players or coaches.

For those who know Simon they will confirm he speaks a lot of sense and has a good knowledge of Rugby and understands the dynamics of the team. He has suffered a lot of unfair criticism and abuse, so much so his wife no longer attends matches which is a terrible reflection on the club.

I hope Simon is not made the fall guy for the awful mess we find ourselves in. It was not of his making. I also hope that supporters realise its not a god given gift that we finish Top 4 every season and to expect to, is to be ignorant to the current state of the premiership. A very clever and well respected ex-player said to me its a 5 year rebuilding process so we will have to get use to mid table and hope for Top 4.
What a sensible and well rounded post, now never darken this forum again :smt023 :smt046

Seriously though I think the rebuilding has already begun, but you can’t make an omelette without breakfast few eggs.
No doubt there are some on here that will demand success straightaway, and there will be calls for Geordans head by Christmas if we aren’t beating all comers.

For me next season some realistic objectives need to be set.

Top 6 of the premiership
Minimum of semi finals in challenge cup
Make Welford road a fortress
Continue to develop young players by giving 1st team experience where possible
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think that's very fair Mark!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

NONAME wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:43 am A very clever and well respected ex-player said to me its a 5 year rebuilding process so we will have to get use to mid table and hope for Top 4
No chance we have had 5 years of failed turmoil and I for one cannot countenance another 5 years of " rebuilding". Its taken Saints just a season to restore their fortunes and they have achieved this by better recruitment and crucially a proven top quality DOR!!!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Correct sapajo,even though what Mark stated was fair they are minimums. It's a one season shot for Murphy,we will know by the run-in early 2020 where we are going with him.
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Just to clarify, the 5 years was said to me on the appointment of GM.

What we can expect next season..nothing what we hope for is different.

What killed Tigers and brought about RC downfall was injuries, player power and some very vocal fans the same could happen with GM equally we could win the premiership who knows. Who would have predicted we would have been fighting relegation a month ago.

The silver lining is that our Academy is producing some fantastic players who I believe will turn around Tigers fortunes. Players like White already have shown others the pathway is there to the senior squad and GM is listening to his junior coaches.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Fair points but I think we have gambled to much on Murphy. The writing is well and truly on the wall he has brought us periously close to the drop and frankly he has done nothing to merit his appointment.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity