Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Cohen in the Express.

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/rugby-u ... imon-Cohen

A lot at the beginning touching on the social media abuse that has been directed at the club. (Which has had multiple threads on here).

But also.

Murphy is the club’s fourth head coach in just over two years – a scattergun approach that calls into question whether the club’s rugby committee is fit for purpose.

“As a club, we haven’t got the balance right since Richard Cockerill and Matt O’Connor worked together. When Matt left I don’t think we plugged the gap well enough,” said Cohen.

Leicester call police after sickening social media abuse from their OWN FANS - EXCLUSIVE

Leicester are in 10th place in the Premiership - just eight points above bottom (Image: GETTY)
“The return of Matt as head coach is not an appointment that I personally would have made. I think he’s a very good coach. What makes him so good is that he is entirely focused on winning on Saturday but one of his weaknesses is that he is entirely focused on winning on Saturday too.

“With Geordie, we said we’d support him with anything he needed but it takes you a little time to work out what you need and you don’t have that time in the Premiership.”

The arrival of Mike Ford as a short-term firefighter has stabilised the ship and although his contract is only until the end of the season, the likelihood is that he will stay on next season when Leicester should have a better-balanced squad.

“Mike has made a difference. He’s a very good experienced coach and I’d like to see how his influence changes our run-in,” said Cohen.

“What is clear to me is that we need to put some experience around Geordie and help him. Mike may well be that person. We will weigh up that option alongside a number of others. But whatever happens, Geordie will remain in situ. We need that stability.”
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Cohen in the Express.

Post by Scott1 »

Who went over Cohens head then with MoC? The plot thicken!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I thought the general consensus was that MOC was largely a Tom call.
With not many people in the Rugby committee objecting or putting up a strong opposition.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Deflection deflection deflection. We don't need floodlights at WR, we can just bounce ambient light directly off Mr. Cohen and onto the pitch.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Not too much to disagree with especially the horrific social media stuff, pleased to see they are looking at maintaining Mike Ford next season.

Me thinks it is time for Mr Tom to step aside.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Matt as head coach is not an appointment that I personally would have made.
What!? Cohen is the CEO! As a decision affecting the day-to-day running of the 'business', I would expect the CEO to be making the ultimate decision. And if the Board of Directors overruled the CEO they've chosen to lead the business, then it looks like Cohen is questioning their decision-making to a journalist. Ridiculous.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Most clubs have someone running the business side and someone running the playing side. There is some overlap/grey areas but IMO Cohen can't/shouldn't have direct responsibility for both. That side I don't think it's as clear as it should be who is responsible on the playing side and who is/was responsible for appointment of DoR's, Head Coaches.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Whilst this interview hints at stability in the coaching department, I would suggest all is not well at board level.

I mean, I know it's managed to come out that O'Connor wasn't the decision of the CEO, but for the CEO to come out and openly question the decision?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

It is said by some that Tigers is still run like an old fashioned club, in which case the Chairman is in total control.
As you say for Cohen to make that comment publicly indicates all is not well
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

...well at least someone has fronted up about this debacle!!!
Sounds like he is trying to save his skin, absolutely pathetic. It just goes to show, that they did not think it was important, to source a top class coach, prior to the appointment of MOC and dragging the first man who knocks on their door asking for the role as HC is their mo for running this club. They always take the easy option, MOC, GM and now some bloke who sits in the stand to watch his son play is now given the torch to carry and take us forward.
Do they really believe that we will vent our anger only at these appointments and they, the board, become immune to the ongoing failures.
I do not agree that personal attacks should be directed at his family or threats made which warrant police investigations but somehow it seems that he only now feels the anger and pain we the supporters have felt and it has taken him long enough to attempt to address this malaise.
If you really cared about this club then.......step down!!!!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Actually he has voiced his concern for some time now, has stood on the terraces frequently enough to get viewpoints, and has pointed out he does not make the playing side choices. Cockers going was a lot down to players who didn't like the 'all equal' and 'grind em down' philosophy as well as mismatch with Mauger; Mauger (and the hapless Scott) was a terrible choice, following a not-very-good coach IMO; return of MOC welcomed by some players and rugby side of BoD (BK, RU). Many people seem to think Cohen makes all the decisions; not so - but then there are those for who Peter Tom can do no wrong, and a very small number who seem to hate Cohen for some reason and think it OK to insult or threaten.
The situation at Tigers is very complex, and a lot to do with failure to bolster the ageing side (and coaches) in 2012-13. Buying cheap meant getting cheap. The blame lies with the BoD in its entirety from around that time IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Mauger was a terrible choice yet had a 58% win over double Murphy and had a squad the happiest they've been in many a year. Go figure.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:07 pm The situation at Tigers is very complex
Maybe that is part of the problem.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The disastrous decision was binning Mauger for MoC! Awful,truly abject decision!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:07 pm Actually he has voiced his concern for some time now, has stood on the terraces frequently enough to get viewpoints, and has pointed out he does not make the playing side choices. Cockers going was a lot down to players who didn't like the 'all equal' and 'grind em down' philosophy as well as mismatch with Mauger; Mauger (and the hapless Scott) was a terrible choice, following a not-very-good coach IMO; return of MOC welcomed by some players and rugby side of BoD (BK, RU). Many people seem to think Cohen makes all the decisions; not so - but then there are those for who Peter Tom can do no wrong, and a very small number who seem to hate Cohen for some reason and think it OK to insult or threaten.
The situation at Tigers is very complex, and a lot to do with failure to bolster the ageing side (and coaches) in 2012-13. Buying cheap meant getting cheap. The blame lies with the BoD in its entirety from around that time IMO.
Everything seemed to start going downhill when Paul Burke inherited MoC`s position after he left the first time. A better coach should have been hired, whether that was down to the board being cheap or RC having misplaced loyalty I don't know. Either way, it's been downhill ever since!