Challenge Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Challenge Cup

Post by Mark62 »

Seems likely that Tigers will be playing in the European challenge cup next season.

It was very interesting listening to Ben Kayser speaking before the Clement game, basically saying it had been a right kick in the teeth for them not playing in the champions cup, but they by no means saw the challenge as a weak competition, especially from the quarters onwards, and they and heir supporters were dead set on winning it.

Hopefully this is what Tigers will be thinking next season, and use it as a platform to climb back up the league
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Challenge Cup

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:44 pm Seems likely that Tigers will be playing in the European challenge cup next season.

It was very interesting listening to Ben Kayser speaking before the Clement game, basically saying it had been a right kick in the teeth for them not playing in the champions cup, but they by no means saw the challenge as a weak competition, especially from the quarters onwards, and they and heir supporters were dead set on winning it.

Hopefully this is what Tigers will be thinking next season, and use it as a platform to climb back up the league
Exactly, and I think it will be a good idea for us to be in the Challenge Cup for a season, it’s helped Saints and Harlequins and obviously Clermont a lot.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hopefully some cheap trips away!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Difficult to say at this point but you’re looking at potential opposition being

Dragons, Scarlets, Zebre, Cardiff, Agen, Paul, Toulon, Montpellier, plus a few others
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

And possibly Brive and Oyonnax (promoted from Pro D2). Don't know if Robespierre has any thoughts on this.
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

Oh dear, what will happen to our team? Who will we be left with? We won’t attract marquee players. It will be years and years before the tigers topple Exeter or Saracens at this rate. They get excited when they beat the team on the bottom of the table. We mock Saracens for their lack of support when tigers support is diminishing. I doubt I’ll be attending the CC games, because that competition means nothing to me and I can not get excited about it.
I’m finding it hard to come to terms with the fact that we have become the laughing stock of the Premiership and the fact that teams no longer feel intimidated by coming to Welford Road, even Bristol believe they can get a 5 point result here.
I renewed my season ticket in the belief tigers would qualify for the Heineken Cup somehow. Anything else was unthinkable. Will Tigers ever recover from their fall from grace? I don’t blame the players, but the club’s inability to be professional.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Sadly, I believe I joined this Forum shortly after the demise of a well-respected chap called Bill.

I gather he was fond of the maxim - "Keep The Faith"! :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

We will believe all our Christmases have come at once when the new signings are announced, pre-season will be productive and injury free and we shall win the premiership.
I'm not cynical just experienced
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:10 pm Sadly, I believe I joined this Forum shortly after the demise of a well-respected chap called Bill.

I gather he was fond of the maxim - "Keep The Faith"! :smt023
He was. Bill Woodward fended off a lot of rather Doom-Mongering characters in his time.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The trouble with the Challenge Cup is that it is a mix of teams on the up, teams as you were, and teams on the way down.
I haven't made my mind up which one Leicester are or will be.
Luckily, or not, The Shawshank Redemption was on the other night and I was reminded that hope is a good thing... :smt028
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 am The trouble with the Challenge Cup is that it is a mix of teams on the up, teams as you were, and teams on the way down.
I haven't made my mind up which one Leicester are or will be.
Luckily, or not, The Shawshank Redemption was on the other night and I was reminded that hope is a good thing... :smt028
A very accurate summary, particularly with the French sides, I would hope, expect even, that we would be a team on the up but time will tell.
It is not the Micky mouse competition it once was
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:06 pm And possibly Brive and Oyonnax (promoted from Pro D2). Don't know if Robespierre has any thoughts on this.
Indeed he has! Pau, Agen, Bordeaux, Brive (if promoted)and Montpellier are all within reasonable driving distance for me and I hope to be able to go!
Last edited by Robespierre on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper in excretia
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Now is really not the time to say what is or isn't achievable. The Challenge Cup is not a "Micky Mouse" competition, as someone has stated. Far from it, as there will be quality sides competing. It gives us an opportunity to build for the main trophy the season after next.

It is completely out of the question to judge how well we may do next season, until we have the full list of incoming players. Next season will be important, to give what could be ten new players, the opportunity to gel in both domestic and European competition.

I believe next season could, and I mean could, be the beginning of a strong comeback, but as I said it will depend on the quality of those incoming players.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Totally agree with Dangerous4
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The fans that think any cup is “Mickey Mouse” cannot have played in games or coached teams! Whether I was playing or as a teacher , coaching, every game was there to win. Chalkie White, Deano and Pat Howard certainly saw every competition as worth winning. This should be Tigers’ Way. Sarries and Exeter don’t devalue the competitions they are in and if we want to get back to being Champions the Premiership then Europe the every team we put out has to be one that hates, yes, really hates losing.
I get gutted every time we lose, including Shield games like v Saints on Saturday. As I have said before, my wife and I were at the Cup Final when we beat Exeter at the Stoop: those there( and at Sarries in the semi- we were there too) know how much it meant to the players: Genge was in tears as he celebrated with the fans and Freddie was emotional too as he had, at last, a winners’ medal.
Winning is why we play and then support with great passion when our playing days are over. Every dam game has to be won.
Finally, some fans mocked Bristol,Worcester and Saints for fielding strong sides in The Premiership Cup this season but for a long while their confidence has been better than ours due to winning games.
Get it drilled into every member of the squad: win,win,win.
Do that and we will be a long way towards rising again as a formidable force in all matches.