Coventry crowd

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Coventry crowd

Post by Grimlish »

Ah should’ve been more specific, I meant the Premiership semifinal at the Ricoh.
I’m not sure what your point is now JP. Our website says the crowd that day was 29000. Again I was there- it was a Wasps home fixture and most people around me were Tigers fans and I’d say we had close to 40% of the crowd.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Grimlish wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:22 am
Ah should’ve been more specific, I meant the Premiership semifinal at the Ricoh.
I’m not sure what your point is now JP. Our website says the crowd that day was 29000. Again I was there- it was a Wasps home fixture and most people around me were Tigers fans and I’d say we had close to 40% of the crowd.
The website is talking about the number of tickets sold that day. I was there too, silencing those drums is one of my happiest memories as a fan despite the fact we lost that semifinal. My point was that the attendance for the European semifinal yesterday was about the same as the Tigers away fan attendance for the dreaded semifinal in 2017.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

The Ricoh is a soulless place even when full, why not have this semi at WRd, a proper rugby ground and I reckon a fair few Tigers fans would have turned out as well. Just plain poor planning by the organisers.

As for Sarries they were quite magnificent yesterday. They are a credit to the English Premier League. It is a shame they have no proper fan base, but that is not the players fault, they give their all for the Club and for each other. As someone else said, their work rate puts ours to shame and probably their fitness too.

There's a lot needs to change next season, starting with a different mind set and a tighter group of players.
Soggypitch
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Sorry 46, but Sarries won’t be gone in 5 years:
1) their owner is a totally committed rugby bloke
2) their academy set and community work is excellent
3) their fans are great when we go to The Allianz
4) for all some fans moaning, their artificial pitch is the best there is( know the guys who did it and who maintain it )
5) like us, they provide about a third of the England squad

Finally, why on earth would any genuine rugby club supporter want the end of another? Respect all clubs big and small.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:05 pm Sorry 46, but Sarries won’t be gone in 5 years:
1) their owner is a totally committed rugby bloke
2) their academy set and community work is excellent
3) their fans are great when we go to The Allianz
4) for all some fans moaning, their artificial pitch is the best there is( know the guys who did it and who maintain it )
5) like us, they provide about a third of the England squad

Finally, why on earth would any genuine rugby club supporter want the end of another? Respect all clubs big and small.
Agree with all you say apart from the pitch. It is the oldest of the artificial pitches in use and really needs bringing up to date. Not a patch on Falcons or Glasgow for instance
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

They were also forced into having an artificial pitch as a requirement of their lease at Allianz.

The pitch needs to be available to the community year round and it only works if artificial.

Don't know if it is not so good as Newcastle/Glasgow, but I had a run round on it a few years ago and it seemed nice and forgiving....

Anyway I've been to Allianz three times and enjoyed every occasion, good rugby crowd, if small!!!
Soggypitch
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Saracens, I believe, renew the artificial turf every couple of years. When I was down there two years ago all the new “turf” was around the ground. The suppliers provide regular inspections and servicing! Having been to Newcastle the Sarries pitch looked far lusher.
The only thing that matters is Worcester, Newcastle and Sarries’ pitches are here to stay for the foreseeable future.
As for their semi-final win: brilliant and great team spirit shown as usual.
Good luck Sarries v Leinster.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Grauniad today carrying a piece on the longer term options for reforming the Champions Cup, possibly with CVC input, partly in response to the structural problems that gave rise to Saturday’s poor crowd.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... SApp_Other