Telusa Veainu

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Telusa Veainu

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

good luck to him, once in a lifetime opportunity to a model pro, doesn't hurt that we are well stocked in his position as well
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:21 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:14 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:01 pm If the rumours are true and Harrison is leaving in December then I wouldn't start him over White or Simmons
That is next season...need to get safe this season so Sam is still the starter for me.
If I thought Sam would be that big a step up yes but I don't think he is, lets not forget White has played very well this season including in Europe.

if we have a reasonably close option then anyone leaving should be sat in the stands for me, they may think they are totally committed but they simply cannot be
I must be watching a different game to you Jimmy because 1) I haven't see White play well once and in my opinion he is one of the reasons Leicester are worse this season than last and 2) Sam is always one of the most committed players that I see.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

BFG you are also watching a different game to me. Whilst I agree White is still in my opinion just behind Sam he is improving fast and has played well many times, his cross field kick to May at Kingston Park was brilliant spoiled only by Ellis Genge's block in the Falcons 15. White is a young player who hopefully will be a credit to Tigers for a long time and is one of many youngsters from our Academy starting to push for a Premiership place, hopefully they will receive encouragement from fans rather than criticism as they make errors whilst learning their trade
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

All in all though it’s a balancing act. We’ve got England’s no1 scrum half, the previous U20s’ skipper who’s breaking into the first team and another in the development squad, and several good 9s in the Academy.

If people want to promote talent (in the case White and possibly Simmons to the Senior Squad, and possibly Law and one of the others to the Development Squad) you have no choice but to make room for them by losing older players, who although may be great servants of the club and very solid club player, but have less in the “potential” bucket.

If he does go down south, I congratulate Sam and his representatives on having the wherewithal to make it happen, as too few English players do it.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:03 pm BFG you are also watching a different game to me. Whilst I agree White is still in my opinion just behind Sam he is improving fast and has played well many times, his cross field kick to May at Kingston Park was brilliant spoiled only by Ellis Genge's block in the Falcons 15. White is a young player who hopefully will be a credit to Tigers for a long time and is one of many youngsters from our Academy starting to push for a Premiership place, hopefully they will receive encouragement from fans rather than criticism as they make errors whilst learning their trade
I'm actually quite satisfied that I see it different from a yes man.
Genge didn't spoil the cross field kick, he gave an average kick a chance, otherwise it was slightly short and the defenders ball to take, there was nothing brilliant about it.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

BFG wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:07 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:03 pm BFG you are also watching a different game to me. Whilst I agree White is still in my opinion just behind Sam he is improving fast and has played well many times, his cross field kick to May at Kingston Park was brilliant spoiled only by Ellis Genge's block in the Falcons 15. White is a young player who hopefully will be a credit to Tigers for a long time and is one of many youngsters from our Academy starting to push for a Premiership place, hopefully they will receive encouragement from fans rather than criticism as they make errors whilst learning their trade
Genge didn't spoil the cross field kick, he gave an average kick a chance, otherwise it was slightly short and the defenders ball to take, there was nothing brilliant about it.
BFG, at times I think that you are Roly returned under a different name (a very two edged sword). Your points are often well thought out and argued, although I often disagree with them. However, like Roly in his early days, so many times you detract for your post by having a dig at the person you are replying to. If your points have merit, they will stand on their own. All the sniping does is alienate people and give them an excuse to have a go at you, then after a while, ignore you.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Well I’m certainly not a yes man and you are definitely seeing a different game to me.

I recognise and appreciate Sam Harrison’s undoubted loyalty and industry, however I really do not see the apparent ‘love in’ that others on this forum seem to have. His speed of pass has been cited many times unfortunately it matters not if the opposition know where you are going to pass the ball, and have already set the defensive line before you’ve even started to make the pass. Ben White and Harry Simmonds are good young players with potential, therefore they must be given the opportunity to realise it. A bit of support from us would go along way to giving them confidence.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The experts on TV comms disagreed. They thought it was a pointless block as Hammersley would have been unable to reach it anyway.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I don't think I am a "yes man", I say things how I see them. I don't agree for the sake of it nor do I disagree just to be provocative. I do not often criticise players as individuals particularly young players as some do. I do not spend a couple of seasons slagging off a really promising young hooker as being too small and the sole reason why our pack got beaten by a Saracens eight then after the player leaves suddenly blame the club for his departure. For the most part I am consistent in my views although like others I have been known to change my mind on rare occasions.
White's kick was right on the money, I doubt Hammersley would have got to it but even if he had it would have been a contest for the ball with May. Ellis should have avoided the contact and been available to secure the ball if it went loose, that is hindsight and commonsense easy to see from the stands or the sofa. Most of us played the game at some level and probably remember a few occasions when we wish we had done something differently, it is all part of the learning curve for young players. Ben White is a promising youngster, his caps and performance at various age group levels prove that, the next step for him is massive, time will tell if he is to be one of the few that makes that step, I honestly believe he will!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I do think Harrison has had his worst season so far. How much is down to what a 9 can do in a beaten team I don't know. (Suspect a fair amount).

On White whilst I prefer Simmons, I think white still has what it takes.
He is learning behind a largely poor pack. But he has looked good.
He needs the confidence to attack more as a 9. His pick up and drawing in 2 defenders to send Holmes through a line against Racing reminded me of a young Ben Youngs.

If Harrison does go, which i suspect would be an entirely lifestyle call rather than anything else then I don't think he would need replacing from the outside.

Ben Youngs current club form the last 2/3 seasons has been my biggest worry of all the 9's though.