Development v Saints

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Development v Saints

Post by Mark62 »

Bloometjies starting on the wing, Cortes at tight head.

Khalamafoni and Veianu both on the bench
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Development v saints

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigers Development XV: Freddie Steward, Leo Gilliland, Elliot Creed*, Tim Bitirim*, Clayton Blommetjies, Tom Hardwick, Jonny Law; Campese Ma'afu, Ross McMillan, Gaston Cortes, Cameron Gray*, Valentino Mapapalangi, Tommy Reffell, Will Evans (c), Fred Tuilagi

Replacements: Jamie Harding*, Osman Dimen*, David Feao, Thom Smith, Sione Kalamafoni, Will Findlay*, Sam Costelow, Telusa Veainu

* Denotes guest player.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Development v Saints

Post by JP14 »

I hope we dual-reg Bitrim, fantastic player in my opinion.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Bitirim does seem to have become a bit of a fixture for the development side lately. Wonder if he’s being trialled with a view to something more permanent? Seems to play 12 in these recent fixtures, but looking at his background appears more of a 10/15 type player.
I’m still of the opinion we need another 10 if J Ford goes, more backup than big name. Likewise I see a need for another 15 with Tait off, or a winger if Holmes moves to 15. I’d rather an outside back to provide some x-factor like Goneva did, and Alessana before him, someone to draw doubled up defenders away from Manu. Could be a 15 sees Veianu back to wing. Maybe Blommetjies will be bought in if Scarlets aren’t happy with him and we feel we can get him back to his best.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

The rumoured back line options for next season are something like;

9. Youngs, Harrison, White, Simmonds
10. Ford, Hardwick
12. Eastmond, Reid
13. Tuilagi, Taute
11/14. May, Holmes, Owolofela, SAR, Walker
Fullback. TV, Worth, Forsyth

Reid is obviously comfortable at flyhalf and Forsyth and SAR are happy at centre. We might see Smith cover the RWC period. There might be room for Bitrim as 10/12/15 cover. Depends whether Blommetjies comes in maybe as to how much cap space we want to spend on the backs. Young Steward is a 15 who could come into the centres, he's a big lad who has already made his first team debut at 18 but will be more of one for the the season after than next season.

Don't know about xfactor but Taute will offer some power in the carry, he's a pretty big bloke. He might still be able to cover 15 a bit as well.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Good to see Vieanu back in the game. It's been a long haul for him. :smt023
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:10 pm The rumoured back line options for next season are something like;

10. Ford, Hardwick
12. Eastmond, Reid
13. Tuilagi, Taute

Reid is obviously comfortable at flyhalf and Forsyth and SAR are happy at centre. We might see Smith cover the RWC period. There might be room for Bitrim as 10/12/15 cover. Depends whether Blommetjies comes in maybe as to how much cap space we want to spend on the backs. Young Steward is a 15 who could come into the centres, he's a big lad who has already made his first team debut at 18 but will be more of one for the the season after than next season.

Don't know about xfactor but Taute will offer some power in the carry, he's a pretty big bloke. He might still be able to cover 15 a bit as well.
EW Viljeon is rumoured as well. Predominantly a 13 who covers wing/fullback.

I expect Smith will sign a one year extension. He's a reliable squad player who doesn't break the bank, covers both 12/13. He's also reliable in defence which is much needed currently.

I'm expecting more back three cover to come in. Veainu and May will be away at the RWC, then inevitably need more rest over the season. Fullback cover has been bare bones this season so I expect a fullback will come in. That will hopefully allow Holmes to stay on the wing where his finishing can be lethal.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:10 pm The rumoured back line options for next season are something like;

10. Ford, Hardwick
12. Eastmond, Reid
13. Tuilagi, Taute

Where's Adam Thomstone? :smt017
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:25 pm

10. Ford, Hardwick
12. Eastmond, Reid
13. Tuilagi, Taute

EW Viljeon is rumoured as well. Predominantly a 13 who covers wing/fullback.

I expect Smith will sign a one year extension. He's a reliable squad player who doesn't break the bank, covers both 12/13. He's also reliable in defence which is much needed currently.
Viljeon I knew I was forgetting somebody. Rumours of Smith retiring and taking up a head of rugby job at a school.

Dangerous4, there's rumours that Thompstone might be retiring as well. He's had a pretty nasty injury this season and he's not had the best of luck previously.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

9. Youngs, Harrison, White, Simmons
10. G Ford, Hardwick, J Ford/Bitirim?
11. May, Sarto/Walker?, Olowofela
12. Reid, Eastmond
13. Tuilagi, Taute, Viljoen
14. Holmes, Aspland-Robinson
15. Veianu, Worth, Blommetjies?

Doesn’t look too overloaded does it? Still room for developing players to come into the mix.
Plenty of flexibility, Wingers who can play 13 or 15, Veianu can cover wing, Worth can cover centre abs maybe 10, Reid can play 10.
Think there’s the right balance there in terms of positions, also in terms of genuine international class, and those marginally under that who can really show up week after week in League/Europe without going missing around internationals.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Unless something has changed Veianu no longer makes himself available to play for Tonga, from memory something to do with their payment arrangements
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:05 pm Unless something has changed Veianu no longer makes himself available to play for Tonga, from memory something to do with their payment arrangements
He hasn’t played for them in years.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:05 pm something to do with their payment arrangements
Is that a polite way of saying failing to pay players?

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/r ... ations-cup
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

A bit of coverage on YouTube would be welcome.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:42 pm I hope we dual-reg Bitrim, fantastic player in my opinion.
Agreed.

I think the squad is best looked at as the Senior and Dev squads. I presume Heyes, White, Olowofela and SAR will be promoted, possibly with Hardwick and Refell too, maybe creating a few spaces in the Dev squad (Law and Steward I suspect will make the jump up to that from the backs). The only issue with Bitirim as a 12 is that we already have a similar player (of the same age too) in the Senior squad - Charlie T.