Next season's RWC 15/23

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2610
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by Scott1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 am

As we are likely to lose quite a few players for the RWC shall we have a go at what we think our starting XV could be with the rumoured/confirmed players in

Bateman
Kerr
Heyes
Spencer
Green
Taufua
Reffell
Thompson
Harrison
Reid
Olowefella
Hardwick
Taute
Thompstone
Worth

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:21 pm

If the rumours are true, we’ll still have a pretty good XV even with the internationals away.

1. Gigena
2. Kerr
3. Heyes
4. Green
5. Spencer
6. Taufua
7. Wallace
8. Thompson (c)
9. Harrison
10. Reid
11. Olowofela
12. Taute
13. EW Viljoen
14. Thompstone
15. Worth

Youngs, Bateman, Feao, Wells, Reffell, White, Hardwick, Eastmond

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7164
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by RagingBull » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:51 pm

Taufua doesn't join till after the RWC I believe. One of the conditions I think he wanted was to make sure he was avaiable for the RWC for NZ. Either as a call up to the squad or in case of injuries.

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2553
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:30 pm
Location: Lincoln

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by Hot_Charlie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:19 pm

As a guide, the Premiership season starts on the weekend of 20th October 2019 (RWC 1/4 final weekend). Premiership Cup starts on the weekend of 21st September, so a season front loaded with the development competition.

Essentially it’s the equivalent of losing our international players for the 4-5 weeks of the autumn internationals.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by JP14 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:21 pm
If the rumours are true, we’ll still have a pretty good XV even with the internationals away.

1. Gigena
2. Kerr
3. Heyes
4. Green
5. Spencer
6. Taufua
7. Wallace
8. Thompson (c)
9. Harrison
10. Reid
11. Olowofela
12. Taute
13. EW Viljoen
14. Thompstone
15. Worth

Youngs, Bateman, Feao, Wells, Reffell, White, Hardwick, Eastmond
I’d have to slightly disagree LTT, there is the possibility of Gigena and Fe’ao being called up by Argentina and Tonga respectively.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by JP14 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:41 pm

1. Bateman
2. Youngs
3. Heyes
4. Spencer
5. Green
6. Tuilagi
7. Wallace
8. Thompson (c)
9. White
10. J. Ford
11. Olowofela
12. Eastmond
13. Reid
14. SAR
15. Worth

16. Kerr 17. Hills 18. Leatigaga 19. Wells 20. Reffell 21. Simmons 22. Costelow 23. Smith
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

kpj tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1993
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Stoney Stanton

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by kpj tiger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:45 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:51 pm
Taufua doesn't join till after the RWC I believe. One of the conditions I think he wanted was to make sure he was avaiable for the RWC for NZ. Either as a call up to the squad or in case of injuries.
Isn't he also due to play in the Mitre 10, if so he probably wont be with us until November regardless of NZ selection?

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2610
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by Scott1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Fitzgerald at 6 then till he joins? I can live with that. Wallace at 7 ,Reffell covering BR from bench.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7164
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by RagingBull » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:39 pm

kpj tiger wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:45 pm
RagingBull wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:51 pm
Taufua doesn't join till after the RWC I believe. One of the conditions I think he wanted was to make sure he was avaiable for the RWC for NZ. Either as a call up to the squad or in case of injuries.
Isn't he also due to play in the Mitre 10, if so he probably wont be with us until November regardless of NZ selection?
Pretty sure he isn't

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by JP14 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Is Fitzgerald leaving or staying??
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2253
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by Mark62 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:28 pm

There is a school of thought that Jones may only take 5 props, 2 loose and 3 tight, with Cole being able to cover loose against lesser nations.

If that is the case it is possible that Genge may not travel depending on whether he is seen as 2nd or 3rd choice.

With regard to Taufua, as good as he is, and he is very good, I don’t see him getting in the All Blacks squad.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2610
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by Scott1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:07 pm

He could well do Mark,me personally I'd rather take 2 SH. I remember Gatland nearly killing Cole!!

ABClub
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by ABClub » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:17 pm

The Premiership Rugby Cup coming at the start of the season makes things interesting. Clubs will be wanting to get youngsters game time but will also be eager to hit the ground running so will need to integrate new signings.

Re-signed development players: Lewis, Reffell, Simmons, White, Hardwick, Olowofela

I'd imagine those development players will be involved in the PRC games along with new signings needing to learn the systems. It would be a very good chance to get Reid and Taute game time together for instance, then working well with that Hardwick would gain experience from playing 10 inside an experienced centre pairing.

1.Bateman 2.Kerr 3.Heyes 4.Spencer 5.Green 6.Lewis 7.Reffell 8.Thompson (c)
9.White 10.Hardwick 11.Olowofela 12.Reid 13.Taute 14.Holmes 15.Worth

16.Youngs 17.Grahamslaw 18.Leatigaga 19.Wells 20.Tuilagi 21.Simmons 22.Smith 23.Viljeon

Something like that would be a really interesting mix of youngsters, new signings and a smattering of experience.

ABClub
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by ABClub » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:25 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:28 pm
There is a school of thought that Jones may only take 5 props, 2 loose and 3 tight, with Cole being able to cover loose against lesser nations.

If that is the case it is possible that Genge may not travel depending on whether he is seen as 2nd or 3rd choice.

With regard to Taufua, as good as he is, and he is very good, I don’t see him getting in the All Blacks squad.
I'd heard rumour that 3 looseheads is more likely. The train of thought being that 3 LHs would allow them to rest Mako, who is so vital the side.

The dates for pool stage games make things interesting for England. They play USA (22nd September) and Tonga (26th September) in 4 days at the start of the tournament. Then they have a week and a half off before Argentina (5th October), then France (12th October). From round 3 of pool stages it's effectively a game each Saturday or Sunday until they get knocked out.

They play the two weaker pool stage opponents straight away then they will want to play near enough a full strength 23 each weekend for 5 weeks if they want to win. It means that if they want to rest key players in the pool stages it will need to come in those first 4 days.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2610
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Next season's RWC 15/23

Post by Scott1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:28 pm

The close proximity of the opening games makes more sense to take 3 TH. Coles comfortably an 80 minute player and could even bench 4 days later , Sinck or Williams couldn't take that workload imo but keeps them both fresh further on whereas Cole could possibly burn out.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Christophelp, kpj tiger, Leicestertinytiger, Mark62 and 2 guests