Tigers v Bristol - 27th April 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bristol - 27th April 2019

Post by LE18 »

beech wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:56 pm Having just watched Worcester play Gloucester I am quite depressed. Worcester put up a tremendous fight and won thus ensuring their premiership status next season. If Tigers had shown the same committment yesterday we would be safe now. I have tried to stay positive this year but, I am afraid, the way the team is playing my faith is seriously being put to the test.
Most of our players were trying to put in some effort but were generally too slow, thus not making tackles count, falling off because they were not close enough to the player. Tackles were all being made in frantic desperation. Toomua missed one and they scored. He also made a brilliant break, our new full back, cant spell his name, made another good one, but no one was fast enough to go with him. (I think he's worth a contract.)
Our line out worked quite well, with 1 very lucky overthrow coming back our way, Kitchener took 1 brilliant 1 handed take from one that looked lost.
Our scrum was not brilliant, Genge was playing the fool for most of the game, what's his problem? Afoa, rightly or wrongly in my view, taught him a lesson which took him so long to learn.
Ford was taking instructions from the bench when he started to kick for goal instead of going for the corner.
Teams seem to have very fast runners and constantly run at us and through us down our left wing. Olewofela needs to do some serious work on his defense/tackling.
Very sad to lose to Bristol, especially to a try from Thacker, why not play him at 7? OK you will say why move him from hooker, but I think his skills would be even better used if he was on the fringe all the time, great performance!
Now we have to sit and sweat it out, yes we have a 9 point cushion but how will we fare, its a worry. :smt010
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

"It's down to very fine margins, which makes the idiocy of Ellis Genge all the harder to take. His needless barge into Hammersly, which resulted in May's second try, our fourth, being disallowed cost us 1 league point and gifted 1 to Newcastle. His "brush/barge" past Flood may have been innocuous, but, if so, why bother to do it at all? That May try would have meant us being 10 points clear of Newcastle, rather than 8."

Not sure my comment re Ellis Genge went down too well after the Newcastle match. Recent events have brought the point into sharper focus. Three more penalties conceded v Bristol, one entirely needless, and, of course, the significance of his misdemeanour at Newcastle has heightened. We should have been safe. We are not and will not be unless we are 6 points clear going into the final game.

Great player. International standard. Needs some help.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Systonite wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:14 am "It's down to very fine margins, which makes the idiocy of Ellis Genge all the harder to take. His needless barge into Hammersly, which resulted in May's second try, our fourth, being disallowed cost us 1 league point and gifted 1 to Newcastle. His "brush/barge" past Flood may have been innocuous, but, if so, why bother to do it at all? That May try would have meant us being 10 points clear of Newcastle, rather than 8."

Not sure my comment re Ellis Genge went down too well after the Newcastle match. Recent events have brought the point into sharper focus. Three more penalties conceded v Bristol, one entirely needless, and, of course, the significance of his misdemeanour at Newcastle has heightened. We should have been safe. We are not and will not be unless we are 6 points clear going into the final game.

Great player. International standard. Needs some help.
Total garbage that statement, that so called May try that wasn't was not on without Genge's little barge.
The kick wasn't exactly on the money as it didn't take Hammersly out of the equation, if you are going to attempt such a tactic then do it to perfection, because if Hammersly got up to catch that kick which he could've without Genge's barge, he then runs full length to score.
Like several others you need to wake up to the bigger picture.
Young Genge has been a stand out attitude but looks weighed down by the expectation whilst others are shirking it.
Thompson is another who is starting to look weighed down by it, being left on his inside shoulder by Fitzgerald and Kitchener on Saturday was just another example of good players being made to look bad by others.
Your statement reminds me of the fool with little idea sat next to me on Saturday who said "another missed tackle, this time Thompson" for the Sheedy try.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

Always disappointing to receive abuse for a sincere comment in a civilised debate.
I decided to watch the disallowed try at Newcastle incident again a few times. The cross kick from White was bang on the money. Hammersley was out of position and moved across stretching to make the catch. He may have got his fingertips to the dropping ball, but it was certainly heading for, and indeed landed in, May's arms. Had Genge either challenged for the ball or simply stood still, we would, in my sincerely held opinion, most certainly have scored. The "little barge" from Genge was ridiculously obvious. Barnes didn't even go to the TMO for help. There was zero prospect of Hammersley running full length to score.

My concern about Ellis Genge was not limited to that one incident, which has had significant consequences in the league standings, but also to aspects of his play on Saturday. We can't afford to gift three penalties to any side in this league. Ellis Genge needs some guidance at this time, particularly if he wants to make it to, let alone play in, Japan.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Systonite wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:28 pm Always disappointing to receive abuse for a sincere comment in a civilised debate.
I decided to watch the disallowed try at Newcastle incident again a few times. The cross kick from White was bang on the money. Hammersley was out of position and moved across stretching to make the catch. He may have got his fingertips to the dropping ball, but it was certainly heading for, and indeed landed in, May's arms. Had Genge either challenged for the ball or simply stood still, we would, in my sincerely held opinion, most certainly have scored. The "little barge" from Genge was ridiculously obvious. Barnes didn't even go to the TMO for help. There was zero prospect of Hammersley running full length to score.

My concern about Ellis Genge was not limited to that one incident, which has had significant consequences in the league standings, but also to aspects of his play on Saturday. We can't afford to gift three penalties to any side in this league. Ellis Genge needs some guidance at this time, particularly if he wants to make it to, let alone play in, Japan.
+1
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Systonite wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:28 pm Always disappointing to receive abuse for a sincere comment in a civilised debate.

Unfortunately Systonite, diplomacy is not a skill utilised on this forum when offering a different perspective.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

You aren't the only one worried about Genge. He is bang out of form, and what is worst, he looks disinterested. He's a great player on his day, but he's not been on it for a while. I don't know what it is, whether its he wants to go, doesn't like losing, or feels he's too good for a relegation fight. Someone needs to get him sat down and find out what it is.

If he wants to go, let him. Same for everyone in the squad. No point in having players that don't want to be at the club. It's as simple as that.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suspect with Genge it's frustration.

Having spent the 6N with England where the coaches know make sure the players know what is expected of them and those that don't deliver get ousted, then returning to a chaotic Tigers set up and being surrounded by players who look disinterested, unmotivated and at times frankly inept must be immensely frustrating.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Opinions vary, and on that cross field kick its all hypothetical.
A fact is that Leicester needed to win that game and not risk losing it for a single bonus point and giving Falcons the opportunity for the win.
Hammersly was in the contest without the barge, in my opinion Hammersly had a good game and personally I think it was a 50/50 kick, it was a good decision by Genge to negate the risk and players like him are possibly down because of fools being critical of what they don't understand.