Tigers v Bristol - 27th April 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Tigers v Bristol - 27th April 2019

Post by Systonite »

Nothing would surprise me about this premiership season. But, we are in a much better place now and should stay up with two winnable home games and a trip to Quins, which suddenly doesn't appear so daunting.

It is not fanciful to look at where 9 points from the last 3 games would get us. Top 6? Unlikely. But, the placing of teams with equal points is determined initially by number of wins, not points difference. Fortunately for us, points difference is only relevant if number of wins is also equal. That last home game against Bath might yet be a "shoot out" for a top 6 place, but we'd probably need to have got something at Quins.

It's down to very fine margins, which makes the idiocy of Ellis Genge all the harder to take. His needless barge into Hammersly, which resulted in May's second try, our fourth, being disallowed cost us 1 league point and gifted 1 to Newcastle. His "brush/barge" past Flood may have been innocuous, but, if so, why bother to do it at all? That May try would have meant us being 10 points clear of Newcastle, rather than 8.

Can Eddie Jones afford to have Genge and Sinckler in his front row at the same time?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Sinckler is far more of a liability,iirc Genge only ever yellow card was away at R92 which was born out of frustration with the utter shower playing with him that day,could be wrong though. He's more Mike Brown than Joe Marler imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:14 pm Sinckler is far more of a liability,iirc Genge only ever yellow card was away at R92 which was born out of frustration with the utter shower playing with him that day,could be wrong though. He's more Mike Brown than Joe Marler imo.
I quite agree Scott. Genge can be a bit of a wind up merchant but generally stays within what's acceptable. Sinckler, to my mind,is not a prop he is fat centre with an attitude problem who can't scrummage against decent opposition.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yeah I remember Quins front row at our place this season,I can't stand a front row that doesn't want to scrummage.Genge comfortably had the best of Sinckler that day. Moon,LCD and Francis were the same!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Systonite wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:08 pmIt's down to very fine margins, which makes the idiocy of Ellis Genge all the harder to take. His needless barge into Hammersly, which resulted in May's second try, our fourth, being disallowed cost us 1 league point and gifted 1 to Newcastle. His "brush/barge" past Flood may have been innocuous, but, if so, why bother to do it at all? That May try would have meant us being 10 points clear of Newcastle, rather than 8.

Can Eddie Jones afford to have Genge and Sinckler in his front row at the same time?
That looked more like an attempt to pull out of a full blown hit rather than idiocy - one that Floody made full value of....IMO :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Credit to Genge he is maturing and aggressive but not volatile. Silly rush of blood to the head to stop May getting try and try bonus point.
Sinkler has not that maturity at present.

My worry is the attacking might of Bristol. Don't offer them a return run from kick chase.
My saviour will be their discipline. We don't want to match penalty for penalty.
High/Low tackling please!!
Then a bonus point W please. :smt035 :smt035
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Flood tactically is better player than the muppet show he displayed on Friday. He has let himself down.

Says more about the mindset of Falcons if they have to resort to gamesmanship and trying to get a player yellow or red carded to achieve a positive outcome.
That tells me all I need to know -- and Deano's win at all cost leadership. :smt013 :smt022
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tigers supporters must turn out in their droves for this match and ensure the biggest and noisiest attendance of the season.
I'll be there contributing to the bar profits and cheering 'em on.
Call it a revenge match, if you will, after the drubbing down there earlier this season, but Bristol will surely be fired up for this game so we want to send 'em back down the M5 with their tails between their legs.
Tigers''ve got an extra week of preparation - both physically and mentally, so let's hope any injury niggles can be resolved so we have the first choice side out on the day.
Semper in excretia
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:49 pm Right now - 16.48 on Saturday - with Saints, Bath and Sharks all losing - 6th is not beyond us!

Who a week ago, would have expected to see a post like this? :smt023 :smt023
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Pat Lam seems confident:

"So the way we look at it, there are three more games, the next one is Leicester, and there's another five points....."
As Good As It Gets
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scuttle wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 pm Pat Lam seems confident:

"So the way we look at it, there are three more games, the next one is Leicester, and there's another five points....."
Post that on the changing room wall!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is that what he said? Doesn't seem like him. But if it is I hope our players have read it!

Edit:Just read it,he didn't mean it like that. I took it as 5 points to play for,he's not that type of guy.
Last edited by Scott1 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 pm Is that what he said? Doesn't seem like him. But if it is I hope our players have read it!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47933489

"So the way we look at it, there are three more games, the next one is Leicester, and there's another five points, and then you move on to Sale and Newcastle, and if we can get those jobs done then who knows."
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Stick that on the wall! Multiple times!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User