Mike Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mike Ford

Post by Grimlish »

Well I doubt MF will going back to Bath, even now.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:37 pm I wonder if we will retain Mike Ford on a permanent basis? He does know his stuff I guess, and we do need more experience in that department.
Let Murphy be DOR. Ford as head coach and bring in Wells as forwards coach.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:46 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:37 pm I wonder if we will retain Mike Ford on a permanent basis? He does know his stuff I guess, and we do need more experience in that department.
Why the desire to keep Murphy involved? He was one of my favourite players of all time but I've not seen much evidence that those outstanding abilities on the field have any significant impact when it comes to coaching/managing the team. I can't help but feel Tigers need a clean break with the old guard.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Would be very very surprised if Wells returned to Tigers.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

On form you'd expect MF to add a huge amount to the Tigers in whatever role, but only time will tell whether MF fits in with the players and other coaches, and as MF is only here short term we may never find out, so we should tout him for a permanent contract to find out IMO!

Murphy's position* may be retained by what he does behind the scenes? maybe? because on the surface (style of play, skills etc) it is severely lacking in any progression whatsoever in the time he's been in charge. Murphy's position* could also could be retained with the right experienced team around him, because eventually sentimentality won't prevent the board making the right decision, as Cockers found out.

*DoR or coaching role.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

drc_007 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:21 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:46 pm
Why the desire to keep Murphy involved? He was one of my favourite players of all time but I've not seen much evidence that those outstanding abilities on the field have any significant impact when it comes to coaching/managing the team. I can't help but feel Tigers need a clean break with the old guard.
Should he have been given the role permanently, probably not. However, he has and the players and club have said they want some sort of stability in order to grow. Therefore, keep him and evolve his role to that of DOR. Let the coaching be done by a more experienced team.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Please.... B.O.D make a sound offer to keep MF.
As others have stated move GM as D.O.R.

Depends what aspirations MF has for the future ( other than TIGERS ) My opinion 2 seasons with Tigers can't do credentials any harm especially if the curve is an upwards one.
Lets see the board move before the final whistle of the season. :smt023
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

wellstiger wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:39 pm Please.... B.O.D make a sound offer to keep MF.

Depends what aspirations MF has for the future ( other than TIGERS ) My opinion 2 seasons with Tigers can't do credentials any harm especially if the curve is an upwards one.
Mike Ford has done ok but I'm not sold that him and Geordan are what we should be putting all our money on. There's going to be some big name DORs with a lot of experience around post RWC. If we can retain Ford and Geordan in their current roles with Blake leaving and then bring in a DOR with a history of building teams up and developing youth for them to develop from then that would be better. If that DOR brings a forwards coaching skillset and Bakewell is deemed surplus to requirements as well then so be it.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

To be honest, I cannot see what Bakewell has done to improve matters in his department.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I agree D4 apart from dead cat bounce.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:56 pm
wellstiger wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:39 pm Please.... B.O.D make a sound offer to keep MF.

Mike Ford has done ok but I'm not sold that him and Geordan are what we should be putting all our money on. There's going to be some big name DORs with a lot of experience around post RWC. If we can retain Ford and Geordan in their current roles with Blake leaving and then bring in a DOR with a history of building teams up and developing youth for them to develop from then that would be better. If that DOR brings a forwards coaching skillset and Bakewell is deemed surplus to requirements as well then so be it.
There's no need for that Geordan is already doing that, I'm also unconvinced there's gonna be big name DORs after the World Cup because there isn't really any in international sport, it's just the head coach.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting Deacon is coaching with the Highlanders currently.
Guess bridges are not all burnt with Mauger
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:14 pm Interesting Deacon is coaching with the Highlanders currently.
Guess bridges are not all burnt with Mauger
Louis or Brett?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:17 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:56 pm

There's no need for that Geordan is already doing that, I'm also unconvinced there's gonna be big name DORs after the World Cup because there isn't really any in international sport, it's just the head coach.
Geordan has definitely moved us in the right direction and in the long term is the man for the job. I just think he could do with another mentor for two or three years.

The might be called head coaches with their country at present but Joseph and Chieka both built up tough sides previously. Edwards is a premier defence coach who's known for his hard edged style. All still to sign a contract post RWC.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'd bite your hand off for Joseph! Has Murphy moved us along? Results and stats say otherwise but I don't want to rehash that,he at least deserves to start preseason and a new campaign with his own players.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer