Guy Thompson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Guy Thompson

Post by JWM »

So what is Geordan Murphy’s problem with Guy Thompson in the post match interview? “I thought he was being selfish...”
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Next season should start with Ford as captain and Thompson as co captain.

Two players who stand head and shoulders at present. :smt023 :smt023
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

JWM wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:53 am So what is Geordan Murphy’s problem with Guy Thompson in the post match interview? “I thought he was being selfish...”
I read that as humour, probably an internal joke and jibe but that someone on the outside may not interpret as intended.....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Carver510

Post by Carver510 »

wellstiger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:59 am Next season should start with Ford as captain and Thompson as co captain.

Two players who stand head and shoulders at present. :smt023 :smt023
Completely agree.

We have got to start putting names on the team sheet due to form as well, not reputation or longevity at the club.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Player of the season. The only other candidate being Ford.

It's not just their ability, it's their mentality.
Soggypitch
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Was it a stroke of genius by Geordie leaving him out last week or just rotation that worked?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It would make sense to rest him for a game where we were always unlikely of winning and having him ready to play in the relegation decider.

But that seems like too sensible a plan for the coaching team...
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:18 am
AusTiger wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:21 pm Thompson and BOC were great at the end there. Well done lads
Quite a good tactical decision to keep BOC on the bench, so at the end of what was probably going to be a tight game we had two opensides on the field, one of whom was still relatively fresh.

It’s almost like the coaches know what they’re doing when it comes to selection!
Steady!! Lets not get ahead of ourselves with the coaches?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerCam wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:39 am
AusTiger wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:21 pm Thompson and BOC were great at the end there. Well done lads
Quite a good tactical decision to keep BOC on the bench, so at the end of what was probably going to be a tight game we had two opensides on the field, one of whom was still relatively fresh.

It’s almost like the coaches know what they’re doing when it comes to selection!
Imagine the impact if we'd started with BOC and Thompson and then brought Reffell off the bench. Drop Mike Williams and make that change for the Bristol game for me. Let Thompson roam and pop up out wide as he did last night and BOC can stay close in and attack the breakdown.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:00 pmLet Thompson roam and pop up out wide as he did last night
Reminded me in some, but not all ways, of things we saw with Tom Croft. Rampaging line breaks with the ball, timed and accurate offloads (it was a one handed pass - too far for an offload) reading the play, intercepting and running in from 55m (but not quite as fast :smt002 ) some great defence, great engine.

If fit, a must start for me - despite some in other places demanding Kalamafoni straight back at 8 (I think he's better at 6).

4. Wells
5. Spencer
6. Kalamafoni (Think he's available for Brizzle)
7. O'Connor
8. Thompson

19. Fitzgerald/Kitch/Williams (in that order of preference)
20. Reffell
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:00 pm
TigerCam wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:39 am

Imagine the impact if we'd started with BOC and Thompson and then brought Reffell off the bench. Drop Mike Williams and make that change for the Bristol game for me. Let Thompson roam and pop up out wide as he did last night and BOC can stay close in and attack the breakdown.
Possibly so (but of course we don’t have the full picture). :smt001
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Loving that back 5 Whitecap!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:00 pmLet Thompson roam and pop up out wide as he did last night
Reminded me in some, but not all ways, of things we saw with Tom Croft. Rampaging line breaks with the ball, timed and accurate offloads (it was a one handed pass - too far for an offload) reading the play, intercepting and running in from 55m (but not quite as fast :smt002 ) some great defence, great engine.

If fit, a must start for me - despite some in other places demanding Kalamafoni straight back at 8 (I think he's better at 6).

4. Wells
5. Spencer
7. O'Connor
8. Thompson

20. Reffell
I had similar thoughts re the days of Croft thundering down the wing. That back five seems to have more balance than what we are currently starting with. I think Fitzgerald is deserving of keeping his place in the squad. Kitchener did make a lot of tackles last night but not many were dominant.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:19 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 pm

4. Wells
5. Spencer
7. O'Connor
8. Thompson

20. Reffell
I had similar thoughts re the days of Croft thundering down the wing. That back five seems to have more balance than what we are currently starting with. I think Fitzgerald is deserving of keeping his place in the squad. Kitchener did make a lot of tackles last night but not many were dominant.
On the same wavelength, my thinking is exactly the same for the pack. Good balance there which should see us the last games of the season.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:18 pm Wouldn't be surprised if we have someone lined up to come in that should be starting at 8 either.
Regardless of Denton situation.
Could that be Mark Wilson?