Toomua

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Toomua

Post by amazing tiger »

Just seen on Twitter that toomua has asked to be immediately released and we have refused. Not sure if this is true but if it is this is bad
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Toomua

Post by jgriffin »

Chance it's bollo from that source
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Would be surprised if true. He's only got about a month left. He won't get the same money back in Aus he's getting here so should be banking these last few pay cheques. Be nice if he also felt he owed the fans something before leaving as well.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s worrying about not making the World Cup squad with his form, Copper is the form Australian 10 currently, and both Kerevi and Kuridrani back and up there in the carries and line break stats, along with Foley, Beale and Hayley-petty. He could struggle he’ll only have half a season once ours has finished and he’s never trained with them.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Toomua released himself in September. The worst 'marquee' signing in premiership history. Not his talent. His commitment t to the cause. Shameless.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:13 pm Toomua released himself in September. The worst 'marquee' signing in premiership history. Not his talent. His commitment t to the cause. Shameless.
I think to be fair to him he's been probably not been impressed with how we've conducted ourselves in terms of coaching, recruitment, performance. Maybe he is part of the problem I don't know or maybe not. Just trying to look at this objectively.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

If true maybe the abuse he received on twitter from moronic so called Tiger's fans played a part.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:08 am If true maybe the abuse he received on twitter from moronic so called Tiger's fans played a part.
I agree and really, who could blame him. If players use social media they can expect some constructive criticism, but not abuse.
As Good As It Gets
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

The Toomua saga shows no one in a good light but let us not lay all the blame at his door, we have suffered for having our good players away with England and the loss of form or injury of a most of the rest.
We have not had a settled squad the whole season, so we are doubly disadvantaged.

Newcastle for has suffered without their key man Wilson, Exeter have a very good squad depth through long term pragmatism they are getting a few capped players now but have not prioritised supporting the England team over club stability.
Saracens have a huge squad of low paid internationals, though how that is possible is anyone’s guess!

As for Toomua I think he will look back on this whole saga and regret being part of it as it leaves a bad stain on his character, IMHO
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:13 pm Toomua released himself in September. The worst 'marquee' signing in premiership history. Not his talent. His commitment t to the cause. Shameless.
In premiership history? Seriously? He is not even the worst marquee signing in his position at his club.
Have you forgotten the highly forgettable DeVilliers?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Or Matfield?!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

It calls into question the whole point of having highly paid foreign internationals. Off the top of my head, I can't recall that many who have been that great, not in modern times anyway
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

northerntiger wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:40 pm It calls into question the whole point of having highly paid foreign internationals. Off the top of my head, I can't recall that many who have been that great, not in modern times anyway
Not losing them to international duty tends to be the main advantage, which we missed the boat on with Toomua. We tend to have better luck turning relative unknowns into star players, though that well has run pretty dry of late.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

No one player is immune from accountability.
Toomua can't do it on his own just as Ford can't do it on his own and I'd point more to the loss of Veainu who had the ability to score points that just shouldn't be scored, and Tait and Smith who were two rocks that haven't been replaced in my opinion.
Tait in particular came to the rescue in several positions when needed, pure class.
It's a team game.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tait was having an Indian summer too,arguably in the form of his life
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer