JOHN PLAYER CUP. - 40 YEARS ON

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

JOHN PLAYER CUP. - 40 YEARS ON

Post by Dangerous4 »

I well remember this game, forty years ago. It was against Moseley, at Twickenham, and was a glorious day out. I still have the programme, with Twickenham grass pressed in it. The atmosphere was unbelievable, and at the final whistle we had bagged our first proper trophy. We Tiger's fans were ecstatic, and called out for Chalkie White, after the presentation was over. He duly came out appeared before us, to massive applause, and cheering. It was my best ever rugby moment, and remains so vivid in my memory, just as though it were yesterday. Forty years is a long time[ in real terms, but doesn't appear long in rugby terms. I was at Twickenham the following two years when we completed the hat trick John Player had announced that if a team could win it three times on the trot, they could keep the trophy, which we have now. When we achieved this, however, they wanted to give us a replica, but the club rightly refused, and it remains with us to this day.

As my special shirt proclaimed on it, we were indeed,, "The Pride Of British Rugby"!

Oh dear I am old, but I wouldn't want to swap my memories by being younger!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: JOHN PLAYER CUP. - 40 YEARS ON

Post by strawclearer »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:08 pm I well remember this game, forty years ago. It was against Moseley, at Twickenham, and was a glorious day out. I still have the programme, with Twickenham grass pressed in it. The atmosphere was unbelievable, and at the final whistle we had bagged our first proper trophy. We Tiger's fans were ecstatic, and called out for Chalkie White, after the presentation was over. He duly came out appeared before us, to massive applause, and cheering. It was my best ever rugby moment, and remains so vivid in my memory, just as though it were yesterday. Forty years is a long time[ in real terms, but doesn't appear long in rugby terms. I was at Twickenham the following two years when we completed the hat trick John Player had announced that if a team could win it three times on the trot, they could keep the trophy, which we have now. When we achieved this, however, they wanted to give us a replica, but the club rightly refused, and it remains with us to this day.

As my special shirt proclaimed on it, we were indeed,, "The Pride Of British Rugby"!

Oh dear I am old, but I wouldn't want to swap my memories by being younger!
I remember it well...........ish! My Uncle used to hire a coach for family and friends - slap-up picnic in the West Coach Park with tickets for all. Proper 'Jolly Boys' Outing'!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
L.F
Tiger Cub

Re: JOHN PLAYER CUP. - 40 YEARS ON

Post by L.F »

I seem to remember that P Wheeler was quite happy to hand the cup back (after winning it three times in a row) but wiser counsel prevailed.