Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: V Newcastle

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:14 pm

We need to cut their balls off at source.
Then have ‘em on toast ..... with a spicy sauce!
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:40 pm I believe Joe Ford can play Full Back
I'd rather not. One good performance aside he's not done much in a Tigers shirt. He's an excellent Championship flyhalf but other than a kicking game he won't add much at fullback. Flood will be dropping high balls into the backline for the first 20 minutes with strong chasers and I'm not confident that Joe will be up to that.

Jordan Owolofela did well against Saints with Biggar's very good kicking game dealt with. Toomua fell off too many tackles but he did look good in attack at 15, more so than he has done at 12 recently.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Newcastle - 12th March 2019

Post by Spicer »

Full back is a tough position to pick. With Veaniu out this season it has made me appreciate him a lot more.

I'd guess is that Toomua would continue there. He was hit and miss but that was his first game in the position that I know of.
May has proven he can play their pretty well.
Olowofela has probably had his best senior games at full back.
Alternatively Simons I seem to remember played there ahead on Olowofela in the cup matches a couple of seasons ago and was good.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:51 pm I could see it maybe being
1. Genge
2. Kerr
3. Cole
4. Spencer
5. Kitchener
6. Fitzgerald
7. O'Connor
8. Thompson
9. Harrison
10. Ford
11. May
12. Toomua
13. Manu
14. Olowofela/Aspland-robinson
15. Blommetjies (Potentially)/Olwofela

16. TPN
17. Gigena
18. Heyes
19. Williams
20. Reffell
21. White
22. Hardwick/Owen
23. Aslpand-Robinson/Steward
I am not sure if others noticed but Smithy was warming up with the team pre match, I would fit him in before Olowofela but if Olowofela has to play then he must be on the least dangerous wing where his minimal passing skills can be appreciated and away from May.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I really, really, really don't want to be negative. I sincerely hope I am proven wrong. But I cannot see us picking up points against anyone. There is nothing in this group of players that makes them look like a team. A marquee player missing basic tackles and not seeming to care. 52 conceded at Welford Road, yet players are laughing with the Exeter players as soon as the whistle goes. I have no doubt that the current situation pains many supporters, more than it does some of the players. I could name them.

Newcastle will fight. Bristol will play with purpose and fight. Worcester - well they may just help us out. But unlike Tigers, Worcester won't lack of spirit.

It's painful to write as much. I've never supported the club because of the silverware, but because of the hard nosed pragmatism and the all for one, one for all spirit. It's gone.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

wormus wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:33 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:51 pm I could see it maybe being
1. Genge
2. Kerr
3. Cole
4. Spencer
5. Kitchener
6. Fitzgerald
7. O'Connor
8. Thompson
9. Harrison
10. Ford
11. May
12. Toomua
13. Manu
14. Olowofela/Aspland-robinson
15. Blommetjies (Potentially)/Olwofela

16. TPN
17. Gigena
18. Heyes
19. Williams
20. Reffell
21. White
22. Hardwick/Owen
23. Aslpand-Robinson/Steward
I am not sure if others noticed but Smithy was warming up with the team pre match, I would fit him in before Olowofela but if Olowofela has to play then he must be on the least dangerous wing where his minimal passing skills can be appreciated and away from May.
Did you just mention Olowofela’s passing skills in the same sentence as Matt Smith, world renowned non-passer? :smt003

Eastmond’s hamstring probably makes selection easier, in that you just need to decide who comes into the back 3. I suspect we’ll see May, Sam A-R with Olowofela at FB on the fast plastic pitch.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ABClub wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:20 am I thought Worth is injured? Along with Veainu, Holmes and Thompstone. The back three is down to bare bones.

I'd put May at full back. He's played there before for Gloucester and his high ball work has improved out of sight. If Sarto is fit then I'd take a punt on his extra experience on the right wing.

1.Genge
2.Kerr
3.Cole
4.Spencer
5.Wells
6.Fitzgerald
7.O'Connor
8.Thompson

9.Harrison
10.G Ford (c)

11.Olowofela
12.Toomua
13.Tuilagi
14.Sarto
15.May

16.TPN
17.Gigena
18.Heyes
19.Kitchener
20.Reffell
21.White
22.Owen
23.Aspland-Robinson
That is a pretty good shout
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Even with our horrendous injury list that's a pretty decent team on paper, but then it was this week too. And the game before. And the game before that.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Blommetjies starting for the A team.

also great to see Phoneix back fit and playing.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Olowofela looks decent but needs to improve his decision-making, which will come with experience. I'm in agreement that there are certain players that, although I'm sure they'll say they're 100% committed to the cause, are not. You can say that your confidence isn't high, but there's no excuse for not putting in a shift in terms of effort and work rate. If you miss a tackle because someone has stepped you or produced a piece of brilliance you can accept it, but not when you act like a turnstile and let them through. There were a couple of instances in the game on Saturday where one of the players (who shall remain nameless) looked disinterested and you could tell by body language that they just wanted to get off the pitch.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Exactly! Replace Williams,Kitchener and BoC with Reffell,Wells and Thompson in the starting XV. Anyone going should not be starting games of this importance!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

And if Smith is fit I'd drop Toomua too. On second watch he was toilet!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:05 pm And if Smith is fit I'd drop Toomua too. On second watch he was toilet!
He has 4 games which will decide whether he can leave with his head held high.

We'll see.........
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I just hope we play Hardwick and Wells.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Spicer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:32 pm Full back is a tough position to pick. With Veaniu out this season it has made me appreciate him a lot more.

I'd guess is that Toomua would continue there. He was hit and miss but that was his first game in the position that I know of.
May has proven he can play their pretty well.
Olowofela has probably had his best senior games at full back.
Alternatively Simons I seem to remember played there ahead on Olowofela in the cup matches a couple of seasons ago and was good.

If Olowofela plays, then you are right, in my opinion, that he is picked as fullback.