David Denton

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: David Denton

Post by jgriffin »

I have the feeling this will result in retirement.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:21 pm
mol2 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:10 pm As always player welfare is paramount and his long term health is more important that the results of one game or any number of games or seasons.

Let's hope this allows an injury dispensation because our back row is begging out for someone of his calibre.
Isn't there a limit on the amount of money that can be spent per club per season for injury dispensation? I believe we have already spent on dispensation for Telusa Veainu and Adam Thompstone by bringing in Sarto and possibly Varndell. Whether we are up to the limit I wouldn't know but if we are that would preclude us from getting another player in to cover Dave Denton.
Looking at the Regs its as clear as mustard but it does state upto £400k is allowed per injured player per season, but goes onto say that all such payments must be within the total cap of £6.5 million.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:25 pm I have the feeling this will result in retirement.
Might be the wisest course of action.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:25 pm I have the feeling this will result in retirement.
Bit early for that... give the bloke a chance.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

The medics have probably said give him complete rest to aid recovery. From what I’ve seen he has been involved in training but no contact so hopefully no excess exercise and lots of rest will aid recovery, then start again with pre season and monitor closely.

If I remember correctly George North went through something similar after repeated concussion
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:53 pm The medics have probably said give him complete rest to aid recovery. From what I’ve seen he has been involved in training but no contact so hopefully no excess exercise and lots of rest will aid recovery, then start again with pre season and monitor closely.

If I remember correctly George North went through something similar after repeated concussion
Yes you are right about North and I think he has altered his game a bit since, a bit less reckless in the high jump and diving for corners.
I'm also not sure he has played much club rugby which might've reduced his risk.
Being a forward in the Prem might be a bit trickier.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Player welfare is absolutely paramount in today's game, however concussion observation and the return to play treatment / protocols have only fully come into the game in the last two years with HIA's.
Now as we all know Tigers do have a great reputation for looking after injured players and nursing them back to playing. Other clubs can be judged as you wish!
I do wonder that without these HIA controls & regulations how many other players would have been kept out of the team and how many others would have continued playing on with the injury regardless.
Rest up and take the route to a Tigers return next season ~ Dave. :smt023
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

sapajo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:32 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:21 pm
mol2 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:10 pm As always player welfare is paramount and his long term health is more important that the results of one game or any number of games or seasons.

Let's hope this allows an injury dispensation because our back row is begging out for someone of his calibre.
Isn't there a limit on the amount of money that can be spent per club per season for injury dispensation? I believe we have already spent on dispensation for Telusa Veainu and Adam Thompstone by bringing in Sarto and possibly Varndell. Whether we are up to the limit I wouldn't know but if we are that would preclude us from getting another player in to cover Dave Denton.
Looking at the Regs its as clear as mustard but it does state upto £400k is allowed per injured player per season, but goes onto say that all such payments must be within the total cap of £6.5 million.
£400k is the amount a club can exceed the cap due to injury dispensation signings in a full season not per player.

The cap is £7million including academy credits, then you've got international credits, two excluded players and the £400k injury dispensation ceiling. Hence the 'cap' being different sizes for different clubs and everyone adhering to it differently it seems.

Many clubs, Tigers included I believe, play cute with the injury dispensation budget though by waiting until late in preseason to register some players. Hence I'd be very surprised if there is any of the £400k left for a replacement for Denton.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

sapajo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:00 am Really bad news for him and our club and I sincerely hope he makes a full recovery. I certainly enjoyed his performances this season he has been badly missed!
Must be bad, he went off at Twickenham against Saints, that was a long time ago, he didn't look that bad when he went into the medical room, he went on his own unaided and was talking OK :(
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It sounds really bad, poor chap.

Get well soon David, and I look forward to seeing you next season. :smt023
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-4902205

Sounds to me like a sensible course of action for David - if he can get back he will but has accepted that it may be the end of the road.
Hehehehehehehehe
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I had high hopes for him in a Tigers shirt and, who knows, they may still be realised. One can only hope that like Leigh Halfpenny and others he is able to return. Good luck with your recovery Dave and all the best whatever you decide to do.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:29 am I had high hopes for him in a Tigers shirt and, who knows, they may still be realised. One can only hope that like Leigh Halfpenny and others he is able to return. Good luck with your recovery Dave and all the best whatever you decide to do.
Here, here :smt023
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

With the increase in player size / impact injuries coupled with a welcome focus on player welfare, the days of expecting to see guys playing week in; week out are fast disappearing...

“I have another two years left on my contract and Leicester have been unbelievably supportive, I can’t say that enough. We’ve had talks and it’s been ‘if you can maybe play six games next season, maybe 20 in the next two’. That’s what we’re looking at. From thinking I maybe had five more years in the game I’m now looking at two."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I really feel for him, as he is possibly at an unpleasant crossroads in his life.