Peter Tom article

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

willip

Peter Tom article

Post by willip »

:smt024 could someone post the Peter Tom article in the telegraph used my free article for the month.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: Peter Tom article

Post by fleabane »

Peter Tom, the Leicester Tigers chairman, acknowledged that the club were in a “brutal, challenging and worrying” time after they slipped closer to possible relegation from the Gallagher Premiership with five games to play.

Tom, 79, who has a 50-year association with the club, having played as a lock forward, said he was confident the team would pull themselves out of trouble, but insisted Leicester would survive whatever the season brought.

Friday night’s 29-15 home defeat by East Midlands rivals Northampton leaves Leicester in 10th, only five points ahead of bottom-placed Newcastle Falcons (managed by Dean Richards, the former Tigers director of rugby, who was sacked for failing to deliver further European and Premiership honours).

Leicester will face Newcastle at Kingston Park in what looks to be a season, and perhaps era-defining, encounter on Friday, April 12.

Tom stated that the doomsday scenario of relegation for a club who have won 10 Premiership titles, as well as back-to-back European Cups, has not been addressed as they want to focus their energies on finding a way through the mess.

With a raft of England players on the books, such as George Ford, Jonny May and Manu Tuilagi, who turned down an £850,000-a-year offer from Racing 92 a fortnight ago to pledge his future to Leicester, there will be some tough decisions if they do not avoid the drop.

“It is all about the short-term at the moment,” Tom told The Daily Telegraph. “It hurts us all. I understand all the frustrations and complaints. We’re supporters, too. There are a few keyboard warriors out there giving players some horrible stick, which gets me worked up, but, by and large, I fully empathise with how fans are feeling.

“They give up hard-earned cash and time to watch the boys and we’re not managing to produce. We can’t blame anyone else, not refereeing decisions or anything, just ourselves. We have got to focus wholly on the matches to come. It certainly added salt to the wound to lose to Northampton but they have bounced back well from their own troubles of last season and so shall we. Leicester Tigers are not going to disappear, that’s for sure.”

Tom was with a group of management and players until the early hours on Saturday dissecting matters. It will be a similar topic of conversation at a regular board meeting on Thursday. It has been a torrid season for Leicester, who made unwelcome history by sacking Matt O’Connor as director of rugby after just one match, the opening-day 40-6 defeat by Exeter Chiefs.

Geordan Murphy was promoted to interim head coach and given the job on a permanent basis in mid-December, despite having lost eight games in succession.
Valhalla I am coming!
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Doesn’t seem to be much reflection there on his own role in our demise. At least he realizes the severity of the situation and is not blasé. Not sure how useful analysis sessions are at 2am in the morning. I guess it makes them feel like they are doing something. I wonder what odds we were at the start of the season to go down.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Not much in that.

Sometimes I wonder if there is too much analysis.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Goshengareth wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:47 pm Doesn’t seem to be much reflection there on his own role in our demise. At least he realizes the severity of the situation and is not blasé. Not sure how useful analysis sessions are at 2am in the morning. I guess it makes them feel like they are doing something. I wonder what odds we were at the start of the season to go down.
They just can't win with some people. We had a comment from someone saying that Peter Tom is known to be back home in Jersey 90 minutes after kick off and now we have someone saying that meetings into the early hours probably aren't useful.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Yes, I do agree there. What does it matter when and how anyone gets home after a game, as long as they arrive safely?
GeoffNeil

Post by GeoffNeil »

What concerns me is that he says the potential of relegation has not been addressed, is he honestly saying the BOD and Coaches have not accepted this as a possibility despite the performances we have been given? If so I think the club are in dire trouble. I always think it is important to understand where you are and the great frustration to me is that despite some of the most awful performance I can remember in my nearly 30 years of being a season ticket holder Geordan was always talking about getting to the Top 4, something all those that sit around me had given up on weeks/months ago. Even after the result on Friday his comment was that the top 4 was gone and top 6 would be difficult!! Where are the coaches and BOD looking, not behind them obviously, I am very worried that this once Great club is playing so poorly at the moment,there is a possibility not another game could be won, and those running it don't see the danger because they believe the club is to big to go down, well its not. If it had not been for JP asking the right against Wasps that one would have been lost, and the position the club is in would be even worse.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

^^ agree. Very poor business not to have a plan if things go wrong.
Valhalla I am coming!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I take offense to 'keyboard warrior', I've done plenty of my moaning IRL having paid lots of money and travelled hundreds of miles to do so! Anybody who made the trip to wet and windy Salford deserves a megaphone to shout their displeasure through.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

GeoffNeil wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 pm What concerns me is that he says the potential of relegation has not been addressed, is he honestly saying the BOD and Coaches have not accepted this as a possibility despite the performances we have been given? If so I think the club are in dire trouble. I always think it is important to understand where you are and the great frustration to me is that despite some of the most awful performance I can remember in my nearly 30 years of being a season ticket holder Geordan was always talking about getting to the Top 4, something all those that sit around me had given up on weeks/months ago. Even after the result on Friday his comment was that the top 4 was gone and top 6 would be difficult!! Where are the coaches and BOD looking, not behind them obviously, I am very worried that this once Great club is playing so poorly at the moment,there is a possibility not another game could be won, and those running it don't see the danger because they believe the club is to big to go down, well its not. If it had not been for JP asking the right against Wasps that one would have been lost, and the position the club is in would be even worse.
Yep! +1 :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

He has a :censored: nerve, calling a few hundred of the Forum keyboard warriors !!
Maybe he forgets its the likes of us that keeps his empire afloat.
Considering the abject way he, as the top boyo , has overseen the Tigers brand totally disintegrate, then he's jolly lucky its not a footy club he is in charge of !!!

IF we survive, then hopefully he will see the error of his ways, sack those that require it asap and start investing in the playing side with some top players, not second raters. It might have worked in the olden days, when players raised their game to the Tigers ethos, but it surely isnt working now.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I could be wrong but I'd imagine, when he refers to 'keyboard warriors', that he's probably referring more to Twitter trolling than posters on this forum. Some of the comments on Twitter can be pretty appalling at times.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I think the “keyboard warriors” jibe is a bit rich, and has echoes of the sainted Teresa’s attack on the press, MPs, her own party etc., rather than acknowledging her own faults.
Valhalla I am coming!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Ostrich. / Sand, ring any bells?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Entirely self-referential of Toms. If I am a Keyboard Warrior. Then Toms is past his sell by date. We can both play that game.

What evidence do I have to justify my argument? The shambles that has been the past three / four years under his leadership. Lots of supporters saw this coming, but were told we were 'doom mongers'.

Toms has developed 'Mourinho Syndrome' - an obsession about past glories - believing this is relevant for the future .

All Toms has done in this article is confirm my worst fears.