Peter Tom article

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Peter Tom article

Post by ellis9 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:56 am Ok , I hold my hands up, I am one of the shareholders who voted for the re-election of Peter Tom. This "once great club" became a great club under the chairmanship of Peter Tom. Not all of his (and the Boards) decisions have been right, hindsight tells us that, for me sacking Cocker was a big mistake and our current woes stem from that. The Board acted on the advice of its sub team rugby committee, the problem there is that few people really like their boss and in rugby nobody like the boss who tells them their career is over, sub-consciously maybe but what happens when there is a chance to get your own back? However that was all in the past, we the fans demand success on the pitch, the appointment of MOC did not work and he has gone. I truly believe that the appointment of Geordan Murphy could be a great one despite at this time there being little evidence of that due in part to player absences for various reasons.
We are currently recruiting players for next season, the coaching team will have an extended pre-season minus World Cup players, by the time of the next AGM we should be in a position to see if the changes in place are bringing the improvements we all want, if not obviously questions will be asked and answers demanded. I believe that we by that time will be on the way back up and we will continue under the chairmanship of Peter Tom as long as he wants to remain in the role.
Fair play. You've got a vote and it's up to you how you vote. Well explained too, not that you needed to.

If it was up to me, the only person I'd have got ridden of was Mauger. Things took a turn for the worse when he came onboard as he couldn't deal with Cockerill being the man in charge.

We'd be challenging in the top 4 had this been the case.

I am however, in 100% support of Murphy.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Respect from me but the rot set in before Cockers left,let's not forget that! The turning point for me was sacking Mauger the day after winning the LVC and then hiring Moc,Maugers win % at the time was 58%. I'd never saw such a happy squad too,the place was buzzing. Payback for Cockers from certain quarters? I definitely believe so! We either stuck with Mauger or we hired that "world class DOR",I doubt we'd be in this mess now!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It tickles me how Mauger fans point to the LV Cup win, and yet when other clubs field strong teams the same people often bleat that it's not in the correct spirit.
The fact is it wouldn't matter who is coach because if you are going to allow quality like Parling, Betham, McCaffery, Slater, Burns and Goneva etc go then combined with the squad churn you are asking for trouble, and before someone pops up with the salary cap excuse I will point out that if the current squad is up to the cap limit then it's another great example of poor judgement in my opinion.
Umaga is another example and there are so many more that folk don't know much about around the academy in past years, I watched him at the weekend, he is quality and always was.
Coaches don't have magic wands and can't make good poor management elsewhere.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:25 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:56 am Ok , I hold my hands up, I am one of the shareholders who voted for the re-election of Peter Tom. This "once great club" became a great club under the chairmanship of Peter Tom. Not all of his (and the Boards) decisions have been right, hindsight tells us that, for me sacking Cocker was a big mistake and our current woes stem from that. The Board acted on the advice of its sub team rugby committee, the problem there is that few people really like their boss and in rugby nobody like the boss who tells them their career is over, sub-consciously maybe but what happens when there is a chance to get your own back? However that was all in the past, we the fans demand success on the pitch, the appointment of MOC did not work and he has gone. I truly believe that the appointment of Geordan Murphy could be a great one despite at this time there being little evidence of that due in part to player absences for various reasons.
We are currently recruiting players for next season, the coaching team will have an extended pre-season minus World Cup players, by the time of the next AGM we should be in a position to see if the changes in place are bringing the improvements we all want, if not obviously questions will be asked and answers demanded. I believe that we by that time will be on the way back up and we will continue under the chairmanship of Peter Tom as long as he wants to remain in the role.
Fair play. You've got a vote and it's up to you how you vote. Well explained too, not that you needed to.

If it was up to me, the only person I'd have got ridden of was Mauger. Things took a turn for the worse when he came onboard as he couldn't deal with Cockerill being the man in charge.

[/quote

So, you still insist on presenting suppositions as facts. You stated once that you knew he difference, but it is apparent that you do not. English is obviously not your strongpoint.

You seem to believe that M.O.C. would have achieved a top four spot for us. I completely disagree on that point.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:17 pm

[/quote

So, you still insist on presenting suppositions as facts. You stated once that you knew he difference, but it is apparent that you do not. English is obviously not your strongpoint.

You seem to believe that M.O.C. would have achieved a top four spot for us. I completely disagree on that point.
You've lost the plot. Please point out where I said MOC would have gotten us a top 4 finish.
Last edited by ellis9 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:11 pm It tickles me how Mauger fans point to the LV Cup win, and yet when other clubs field strong teams the same people often bleat that it's not in the correct spirit.
The fact is it wouldn't matter who is coach because if you are going to allow quality like Parling, Betham, McCaffery, Slater, Burns and Goneva etc go then combined with the squad churn you are asking for trouble, and before someone pops up with the salary cap excuse I will point out that if the current squad is up to the cap limit then it's another great example of poor judgement in my opinion.
Umaga is another example and there are so many more that folk don't know much about around the academy in past years, I watched him at the weekend, he is quality and always was.
Coaches don't have magic wands and can't make good poor management elsewhere.
Ahh that really bugs me, that was down to Murphy 100%, not Mauger. The real reason Cockers and Mauger didn’t work was because of the defence coach Hansen, if they had appointed someone from the Northern Hemisphere instead then we would have been in a different place right now.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

[/

You stated that the only person you would have got rid of was Mauger. Therefore by inference we would challenging in the top four, under M.O.C., who's appointment followed him. Thus Murphy would not be in charge now, despite the fact that you are 100% behind him.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:38 pm

[/

You stated that the only person you would have got rid of was Mauger. Therefore by inference we would challenging in the top four, under M.O.C., who's appointment followed him. Thus Murphy would not be in charge now, despite the fact that you are 100% behind him.
Well no beause Cockerill would still be in charge so we wouldn't have brought MOC in. Well maybe as Head Coach under Cockerill.