Peter Tom article

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Peter Tom article

Post by Tigerbeat »

I dont believe that it is referring to everyone as a keyboard warrior.....there are some that will post negative comments / remarks and hide behind the keyboard whilst there are others that are quite happy to communicate their strong feelings either openly in writing or verbally with their identity known.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Ilsontiger1725
Tiger Cub

Post by Ilsontiger1725 »

I agree entirely. Peter Tom says it's now all about the short term. That is just how it's been for the past 5 years and look where that's got us.
Staggering complacency from Tom, but the "shareholders" whoever they are must shoulder some of the blame. According to him, "over 99% " re-elected him to the Board/Chairman at last year's AGM!
What sort of Governance applies at Tigers where someone who has so clearly failed can get re-elected on 99% of the vote. Even Mugabe and Kim Jong-Un would be embarrassed by that majority. But not our own beloved Chairman.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

"Keyboard warrior" Hmm. That's a little insulting. :smt017
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

GeoffNeil wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 pm What concerns me is that he says the potential of relegation has not been addressed, is he honestly saying the BOD and Coaches have not accepted this as a possibility despite the performances we have been given? If so I think the club are in dire trouble. I always think it is important to understand where you are and the great frustration to me is that despite some of the most awful performance I can remember in my nearly 30 years of being a season ticket holder Geordan was always talking about getting to the Top 4, something all those that sit around me had given up on weeks/months ago. Even after the result on Friday his comment was that the top 4 was gone and top 6 would be difficult!! Where are the coaches and BOD looking, not behind them obviously, I am very worried that this once Great club is playing so poorly at the moment,there is a possibility not another game could be won, and those running it don't see the danger because they believe the club is to big to go down, well its not. If it had not been for JP asking the right against Wasps that one would have been lost, and the position the club is in would be even worse.
Agree with every word. If you are in a very deep hole the way to get out is to acknowledge that you are in the hole in the first place. Everything else is delusional. It isn't matter of opinion. Just look at the points difference and the number of matches remaining. Tigers are in a relegation fight - the problem is the team can't fight. All this gibberish about 'a lack of confidence'. There has been a 'lack of confidence' all season - why? Because the team is very poor, and it is very poorly coached.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Absolutely correct.
It is alluded that a few of the current squad who are on their bikes for 2019/20 but still playing are only giving 50%
Human nature if you read keyboard warrior :censored: about yourself every week.
So my question is. ???
Why does the Head Coach still select them ???
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

fortysix wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:56 pm Absolutely correct.
It is alluded that a few of the current squad who are on their bikes for 2019/20 but still playing are only giving 50%
Human nature if you read keyboard warrior :censored: about yourself every week.
So my question is. ???
Why does the Head Coach still select them ???
Not sure he has much choice this season with availabilities etc.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:37 pm "Keyboard warrior" Hmm. That's a little insulting. :smt017
Hardly. Or it it is you maybe need a room with fluffy cushions.*

I think by keyboard warrior he refers to those who don’t form constructive criticism, slag off without justification, endlessly repeat the same things over and over again (“why are we building a hotel?”) etc etc.

*hint of keyboard warriorness
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Queue.... bored warrior. :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

POSTIGER wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:00 pm I could be wrong but I'd imagine, when he refers to 'keyboard warriors', that he's probably referring more to Twitter trolling than posters on this forum. Some of the comments on Twitter can be pretty appalling at times.
I've seen a few comments on Facebook as well which have been posted by some intellectually challenged people that annoyed me and I'm just a fan. Some people don't seem to know when they have gone too far when personally criticising players.
If my department at work wasn't performing because one or a number of the team members weren't pulling their weight or the leadership didn't have a clear or coherent strategy, personal attacks would clearly be unwelcome and useless - in fact they would be most likely to have a negative effect on morale and performance. I can't see how professional sport is any different in that respect. Some people just think "I pay money, Tigers owe me a win!!!" and sit behind their keyboards spouting off vitriol if there is any deviation from that.
Nobody is happy with the current situation, certainly not the players whose livelihoods and reputations rest on the performance of the team.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Brutus wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:24 pm
POSTIGER wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:00 pm I could be wrong but I'd imagine, when he refers to 'keyboard warriors', that he's probably referring more to Twitter trolling than posters on this forum. Some of the comments on Twitter can be pretty appalling at times.
I've seen a few comments on Facebook as well which have been posted by some intellectually challenged people that annoyed me and I'm just a fan. Some people don't seem to know when they have gone too far when personally criticising players.
If my department at work wasn't performing because one or a number of the team members weren't pulling their weight or the leadership didn't have a clear or coherent strategy, personal attacks would clearly be unwelcome and useless - in fact they would be most likely to have a negative effect on morale and performance. I can't see how professional sport is any different in that respect. Some people just think "I pay money, Tigers owe me a win!!!" and sit behind their keyboards spouting off vitriol if there is any deviation from that.
Nobody is happy with the current situation, certainly not the players whose livelihoods and reputations rest on the performance of the team.
I agree. A point can be made adequately without the need for personal attacks, which say more about the person making the attack than they do the person on the receiving end.

I can only speak for myself but I try to tell myself that, as a supporter, this is just sport to me; to the coaches and players however it is everything that defines them. I cannot think any of them are happy with where we are because it shapes their sense of personal achievement , their reputation, and ultimately their career potential. Rugby is their life not their entertainment like it is to me, and to think any of them are not trying hard enough actually defies logic....why would they not do their best? Even for those moving on they would be a strange animal if they arrived at their new club next season content that they had helped their previous club to relegation, not least because their personal reputation would be affected. I would prefer to take the pressure off the players and let them get on with sorting the on field problems..... I know it is not always easy but my job is to cheer them from the stands.
As Good As It Gets
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:21 am
Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:37 pm "Keyboard warrior" Hmm. That's a little insulting. :smt017
Hardly. Or it it is you maybe need a room with fluffy cushions.*

I think by keyboard warrior he refers to those who don’t form constructive criticism, slag off without justification, endlessly repeat the same things over and over again (“why are we building a hotel?”) etc etc.

*hint of keyboard warriorness

No. Fluffy cushions are not my scene, sunshine. I like to play rough and go for the jugular, when there IS "justification." :smt023
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

No issue with the keyboard warriors comment, if fans are allowed to criticise the team then surely those responsible can criticise the fans too, it’s all ying yang at the end of the day.

However, I do find it alarming that there is no contigency plan for relegation, and seemingly no acceptance that we’re deeply in the relegation fight, it’s almost as if we deserve to go down.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:52 pm
However, I do find it alarming that there is no contigency plan for relegation, and seemingly no acceptance that we’re deeply in the relegation fight, it’s almost as if we deserve to go down.
There has been recognition that we are in a relegation battle but no contingency planning has been done because there has to be a belief that the team can still avoid the drop.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:54 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:52 pm
There has been recognition that we are in a relegation battle but no contingency planning has been done because there has to be a belief that the team can still avoid the drop.
Well that’s just arrogance in my opinion.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

JP14 wrote, well that's just arrogance in my opinion, maybe Peter Tom knows that ring fencing will be in place.