Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Players won't leave

Post by Dangerous4 »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:12 pm
mol2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:08 pm Th e club may have no choice but to release then - where's the money coming from to pay them if we are in the championship?
Parachute payment and ticket sales.

I'd imagine we would make quite a big loss still but it would be for one season.
How do you know it would only be for one season?. That is pure supposition and not fact. Hopefully it would be for only one season. :smt018 :smt018
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:17 am Most of the England stars do not have an escape clause according to article in daily Mail today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ation.html

Salient points from article:
  • A quartet of England stars could be playing in the Championship next season
    Manu Tuilagi, Jonny May, Ben Youngs and Ellis Genge are all facing relegation
    The players do not have relegation release clauses in their Leicester contracts
    It is believed George Ford is one of few players who does have a release clause
That may be so but the RFU are not going to allow the players they want to play in the Championship. Joe Cokasagnia was bought out of his Irish contract so why not our Ints?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:42 pm
mol2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:08 pm Th e club may have no choice but to release then - where's the money coming from to pay them if we are in the championship?

I'd imagine we would make quite a big loss still but it would be for one season.
How do you know it would only be for one season?. That is pure supposition and not fact. Hopefully it would be for only one season. :smt018 :smt018
Yes I know the difference between a fact and an opinion. I don't need you pointing it out.

It's confidence. You may do well to get some.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Ticket sales will take a hit, but more importantly sponsorship and corporate sales will really suffer. I'll be surprised if lack of TV coverage doesn't significantly alter who is prepared to pay for sponsorship.

I assume its harder for a PLC to be actively loss-making than clubs with private owners? I have no idea though!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Sky cover the Championship and sponsors will be in place for next year.....the following year will be a problem if there is no upturn.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Sky covers about 3 games a season, with no highlights package. There will be practically zero TV coverage. As I said, I'll be surprised if sponsors don't have relegation clauses in their agreements. Most sponsorship agreements will have a clause relating to TV/audience/crowd exposure.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 pm Sky covers about 3 games a season, with no highlights package. There will be practically zero TV coverage. As I said, I'll be surprised if sponsors don't have relegation clauses in their agreements. Most sponsorship agreements will have a clause relating to TV/audience/crowd exposure.
If Tigers go down, expect Sky to fork out for several more matches.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:23 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Yes I know the difference between a fact and an opinion. I don't need you pointing it out.

It's confidence. You may do well to get some.
I have confidence, but being a realist takes priority. Facts remain facts, and guesswork remains guesswork. You meant it to be an opinion I take it?

You may do well to remember that. :smt045
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

IMO the way the Tigers have developed the youth (a lack of) over the past years and established them in the 1st XV, if the Tigers do get relegated then it may be a season or two until that have a good enough base on which to return to the Prem and stay there should the current 'top' players leave? Mind you the Prem could be ring-fenced by then so it wouldn't matter that much? The Tigers could always join the Pro14?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Interesting perspective from Nigel Melville.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47717882
As Good As It Gets
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:39 pm Interesting perspective from Nigel Melville.

He probably doesn't want to have to buy out quite so many a la Cokasagnia as he would have to if it is us that get the drop...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:38 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 pm Sky covers about 3 games a season, with no highlights package. There will be practically zero TV coverage. As I said, I'll be surprised if sponsors don't have relegation clauses in their agreements. Most sponsorship agreements will have a clause relating to TV/audience/crowd exposure.
If Tigers go down, expect Sky to fork out for several more matches.
I agree, but the audiences and exposure will still be significant lower.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:39 pm Interesting perspective from Nigel Melville.

What he doesn't mention is that the players would essentially be picked on reputation alone, and what that would do to the rest of the squad that are having to show decent form against top opposition. Can't see many coaches going down that route.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:25 pm

What he doesn't mention is that the players would essentially be picked on reputation alone, and what that would do to the rest of the squad that are having to show decent form against top opposition. Can't see many coaches going down that route.
But next season is completely different to any other season as it’s a World Cup year so a late Premiership/European start and a short RWC to 6N gap.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I understand that. But competition for places is high, such as the wing position. I'd be miffed if I was a winger and May got picked ahead of me whilst he was having a jolly against the semi-professionals in the championship compared to playing European rugby.