World Rugby planning bring back the ruck + other stuff?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

World Rugby planning bring back the ruck + other stuff?

Post by TigerCam »

Written in the Sunday Times, I have paraphrased it down from the full article:

World Rugby's proposed law changes to produce a more fluid game and reduce the number of head-on-tackles include outlawing the modern day 'jackal' and lowering the number of replacements. WR want to penalise the the practice of a defender (the 'jackal') stopping the flow of the game by getting over the ball, playing it with their hands after the tackle and trying to effect a turnover. The banishment of the 'jackal' would mean that the players arriving at the tackle breakdown could not touch the ball but instead drive over to leave it behind. This restores rucking and also brings more players into the game, so leaving more space of the field in which to attack. The number of replacements will go down from 8 to 5. The article goes on about the tackle height etc. Also, teams kicking from inside their own 22 and getting the bounce into touch in the oppositions 22 would get the throw-in.

Just need to get rid of lifting in the line-out and we get a proper game of rugby back?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: World Rugby planning bring back the ruck + other stuff?

Post by chewbacca »

The kick and getting the ball back seems similar to rugby league. Not sure it is a reasonable position. Loosing the 'breakdown' yes please.
I'm not cynical just experienced
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Will we still have a complete front row on the bench or are we to return to uncontested scrums? I think stop the nonsense of props being only loose or tight heads or not safe as hookers, they may not be very good a frontrower shoud be able to do a job in all three positions. A Thacker type hooker would be an asset covering openside. a big guy to cover 4. 5. 6 & 8 with a half back and a utility back should make the bench two props, hooker/seven, Utility back five guy, a half back and a utility back. We need a bench of six to avoid games finishing short of players or with uncontested scrums.
/
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:16 pm Will we still have a complete front row on the bench or are we to return to uncontested scrums? I think stop the nonsense of props being only loose or tight heads or not safe as hookers, they may not be very good a frontrower shoud be able to do a job in all three positions. A Thacker type hooker would be an asset covering openside. a big guy to cover 4. 5. 6 & 8 with a half back and a utility back should make the bench two props, hooker/seven, Utility back five guy, a half back and a utility back. We need a bench of six to avoid games finishing short of players or with uncontested scrums.
/
John I don’t know your front row experience, but the techniques needed for each of the front row positions at the highest level really are very different and you risk nasty injury by just saying oh you’re a front rower you can play anywhere.
I like the suggestion of getting rid of the jackel and driving over the ball, hate the suggestion of the 50:20 kick
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Bring back the flying wedge. :smt007 :smt026